Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Discussion on gun cleaning

Corey

This is becoming absurd. You have read what I said and interpreted what you wanted to "hear". I will say it again...read what I wrote, I never said my guns were only reliable when clean and they were less reliable when they were dirty. I said there is opportunity for them to become less reliable when they become dirty and that they run 100% when clean and lubed so I'll keep them clean and lubed. Also, I did not say anything about "guns" and fouling shots I specifically said pistols and I still have never seen a pistol that ran better when it was dirty. I do know a lot of rifles that shoot better with fouled barrels.

I will never try to convince anyone when or how to clean their guns, if you are happy shooting a cruddy gun go for it. :blink:

If you meant something other than what you wrote, you should have written it differently/better/more carefully. I didn't interpret anything. I took it at your very specific words...no more no less.

"I have never heard of a pistol that ran better when it was dirty. The guns I own were built to run and work perfectly when clean. The dirtier they get, the more opportunity they have to fail...\"

Your gun is clean for only one shot; the first one. After that, it's getting progressively dirtier. You flatly stated that as your guns get more dirty they have more opportunity to fail...your words, not mine. You didn't put a qualifier in and say, after a certain point they have more opportunity to fail, or anything like that. That turns it into an absolute...those rarely work well (note, I didn't say "never"...lol).

Sure, we'd all expect that a gun should work when it's clean....hard to imagine anybody designing a gun otherwise. To take that and surmise that because they're supposed to work when clean must mean they're not supposed to work (or work as well) when in some reasonble state of fouling is kinda silly. They should work equally reliably in both situations. I'm not talking about extreme crud, I'm talking about normal powder and lube fouling, which some experts say adds lubrication. If someone happens to be running a powder/bullet combo that gunks up the extractor or firing pin hole, it would harm reliability, but that's a load problem, not a gun problem.

Again, nobody seems to ever want to answer the acid test question about which gun they'd pick for the world's most important shot. :o R,

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic