Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First 1911 Build

sperman

How much of Rick's stuff did ya use on that Gov job? :) Nice work Scotty!

JT

There were quite a few nights and weekends spent at work.  All I own are hand tools, so if it didn't involve a file, stone or sandpaper it was done at the shop.

• 4 weeks later...

One last custom feature:

I like rubber grips. I know most people don't but I really like the way the rubber grabs hold of my hand. The problem is I haven't found any rubber grips that I like. Most of the ones commercially available are either not very rubbery (more like hard plastic) or they are wraparound, finger groove, thumbswell designs that aren't very attractive.

I bought a set of grips who's design I liked, and decided to make a mold and pour my own rubber grips. It took several attempts to figure out how to do it right. I had to put a steel plate inside of them in order for them to be stiff enough. I still need to work on a way to clean up the edges, but I'm really happy with the way they feel.

This is the mold assembly with the original VZ grip.

IMG_3682.jpg

Here is the rubber mold

IMG_3679.jpg

And the finished product

IMG_3675.jpg

And last but not least, the gun, with the grips, after hardchrome. I shoot the Florida Open with my production gun on Friday, then its full steam ahead with my new toy to prepare for the SS nationals.

IMG_3683.jpg

Scott,

When you talk about building your own gun that is great but to then decide to build a mold to make your own set of grips...man that is real dedication and, determination.

Looking forward to seeing you race that thing and then I want to shoot it!

Paul

Edited by pvhendrix