Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon RL 550B question

JS22

Received my 550 from Brian last week. Have it set up and have put together a few rounds less the primer and powder. ( Waiting on a new scale, the first one wasn't working correctly) I have a few questions if anyone could help? Should the powder bar as it cycles under the powder measure begin to accumulate powder on top of the bar. All be it, it is not a whole lot, but it is there. Second, is there an easier way to dump unused powder from the powder measur if you did not use it all. Best I can figure you have to disconnect the powder measure from the die throw bar and all. ( And the throw bar, if thats the proper name for it, is a pain in the %@# to get off. Thanks in advance!

No, that does not sound normal.

As far as emptying the powder hopper:

loosen the two hex bolts to loosen the clamp bracket that attaches the powder measure to the powder die

cycle the press just enough to get some slack in the failsafe rod

lift the powder measure up off the powder die

carefully slide the fail safe rod out of the bellcrank

remove the lid off the hopper and pour the powder bag in the jug

to remove any residual powder from the powder measure hold it upright with the powder measure in the top of the jug and work the bellcrank a few times\

regards,

Jack

Thanks for the replies. If there should be no powder. Have I set up something wrong or does the powder measure or throw bar need some type of adjusting? I had emailed Dillon the same question New Years day, but no response as of yet.

No, that does not sound normal.

As far as emptying the powder hopper:

loosen the two hex bolts to loosen the clamp bracket that attaches the powder measure to the powder die

cycle the press just enough to get some slack in the failsafe rod

lift the powder measure up off the powder die

carefully slide the fail safe rod out of the bellcrank

remove the lid off the hopper and pour the powder bag in the jug

to remove any residual powder from the powder measure hold it upright with the powder measure in the top of the jug and work the bellcrank a few times\

regards,

Jack

I like High Lord Gomer's method better! If you follow Jack's procedure, put a funnel with a small outlet in the top of the powder jug so you don't drop the white bushing into the jug from the bottom of the powder measure while you're cycling the powder bar.

Don't ask me how I know this, 'cause I'll deny that it's ever happened to me! :roflol:

Alan~^~

Just heard back from Dillon tech support. They say the powder build up on the bar is " Not unheard of, usually caused by static." That reply really doesn't put me at ease. I'm not so sure I like the combination of powder and static electricity??

Just heard back from Dillon tech support. They say the powder build up on the bar is " Not unheard of, usually caused by static." That reply really doesn't put me at ease. I'm not so sure I like the combination of powder and static electricity??

There won't be enough static electricity to ignite the powder - it might be enough to just give the powder bar a little "magnetic powder effect."

You might try - take both powder bars (the one that drops the powder and the "spacer") and wash them with dishsoapy water, then rinse and let them air dry.

be