Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I wanna run some PC programs

J-Ho

Does anyone have any experience running Parallels? I've partitioned a drive before and run windows that way but parallels sounds great, at least they make it sound that way. Anybody try it or any other way to run windows?

Thanks for you help

J-Ho

I run it on all of my macs (3) and it works just fine. I only use it for programs that cannot run in mac os. Otherwise, I stick with mac apps.

Pros:No reboot necessary. Click the Parallels apps and it opens a 'Windows' window.

Cons: I noticed it's not as fast as a dedicated Windows machine. I don't think its my hardware[Mac OSX.5 Quad Core, 8 GB RAM], but others might disagree...

Hope this helps.

I run it on all of my macs (3) and it works just fine. I only use it for programs that cannot run in mac os. Otherwise, I stick with mac apps.

Pros:No reboot necessary. Click the Parallels apps and it opens a 'Windows' window.

Cons: I noticed it's not as fast as a dedicated Windows machine. I don't think its my hardware[Mac OSX.5 Quad Core, 8 GB RAM], but others might disagree...

Hope this helps.

Thats exactly why I want to run it. too many programs only come in windows flavor. I might have to give it a try. Do you install a version of windows? Does parallel support windows 7?

Hope this helps.

Thats exactly why I want to run it. too many programs only come in windows flavor. I might have to give it a try. Do you install a version of windows? Does parallel support windows 7?

Yes, you have to install the version of Win software that you want.

What is nice about parallels is that you can have multiple Win instances.. one for Win XP, one for Windows 7 .. etc.

I used it all the time when I was using the USPSA scoring on my Mac. (Now we run the palms and have a dedicated laptop at the club).

Bootcamp is another solution, but requires a reboot, and IMHO is not as elegant when it comes to file sharing with the Mac side.

How to install Win 7 with parallels

+1 for Parallels. I've been using Parallels since it was released and love it. I just recently upgraded to the latest release and it runs fine on my first generation Intel iMac. I've used it mainly with Windows XP, but have also played with the beta of Windows 7 as well. Windows 7 was a little sluggish, but XP runs great (even with the occasional 3D game). I've also used Parallels with a couple flavors of Linux over the years and it's never let me down.

For what you are wanting to do it sounds perfect. With some of the available interface modes it offers you don't even have to feel like you are running Windows at all.

• 4 months later...

Parallels runs great. Download the 21 day free trial from their site and give it a shot. Setup is easy and, if it works for your needs, you buy the software and enter the key. If not, there is VM Ware and Bootcamp.

Best of luck. I'm new to the Mac and even I got everything going the first try.

Eric Budd