Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When To Hard Chrome?

ogiebb

i still have my 2 month old edge in blue and want to keep it that way for at least a few more months. but from what i read from the enosverse topics is that hard chrome will preserve the slide to frame fit better.and i also want to keep the fit i have now..is now the right time? how many months or rounds will it be a good time to have it hardchromed? and what parts of the gun do i really need to make sure its chromed? barrel ?grip and thumb safety? mag catch? recoil master and plug? and will hardchrome stick to the aluminum mag well? i was thinking about using metaloy or apw for the job...any comments....thanks

Anytime is a good time. I use APW because it is local and they did

a fantastic job on some guns that were doused by a saltwater flood we had in '93.

HC will reduce wear on internal and external parts.

Aluminum will be brushed or you can buy the chrome plated magwell.

Call Roger Sigman 727 423 4452 for more info.

As soon as the gun runs 100%, this is when to hard chrome.

The main things to hard chrome are frame & slide.

You should not hard chrome, the extractor, recoil master and the barrel.If you do a search on this subject you will find a ton of info.

good luck ;)

mind if i ask how much you paid for yours? :mellow: i have been calling them and they seem to have some price changes..everytime i call they give me a different price..they are my number 1 choice because they are local but the turn around time is quite steep....

Wait till it runs 100% then send it in. I am learning this the hard way.

Don't hardcrome, barrel, extractor, ejector, hammer, sear, or firing pin.

I will help your frame to slide fit stay tight just about forever.

Send it now during the non-shooting months...

I just sent mine to diamondkote for the black shadow finish(wish me luck)

Talking on the phone with them i'm impressed,but the proof will be in the final product.I kept my glock rig up and running for just such an occasion.

:P Whadya mean non shooting months?FL rocks!at least for shooting,although i would rather be out west where there is more 3-gun.

We sent in an open gun to Tripp right before they closed shop. The gun was running 100 percent but, we got it back and the slide/frame needed to be re-lapped. It took upwards of probably 5000 cylces on the slide using Flitz. I would send it in now because you will have to break it in again. Just my .02 cents.