Corey's road to success

Corey

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Holy cow, busy weekend. After work Saturday I went to a buddy's house to do some shooting. We ran a few drills, just basic draws, box to box movement and few El Prez. My draw time is in the ballpark of 1.0x which is a steady improvement for me. I had a .95 at the Buckeye but it was from 6 feet, haha. draws Saturday were around 10-12 yds. Ran about 100 rounds, nothing too serious, our main goal was some rifle work Saturday. Got my new Burris XTR sighted in pretty well. the sandbag setup we had was less than ideal, so I'm going to need a final check in the future. Also spent some time doing shotgun reloads. Def an area I need to work on, haha.

Today was the dreaded 5th Sunday but a local club put on a fun steel match. 3 stages, 25-30 plates/poppers per stage. Nothing real serious, had some fun, got plenty of shooting and reloading done with my single stack, :rolleyes:.

Hopefully going to be kicking up the workouts soon as well. Planning on spending the holiday tomorrow loading some rounds as Ive been lacking a bit these last couple weeks and my supply is dwindling.

• 2 weeks later...

havent been able to update this much. I have not been happy with myself recently as I have not been able to put in the time on dryfire that i want to. worked on some trigger control stuff recently to at least get a gun into my hands. I have started the workouts i wanted to. I got a free copy of P90X from a buddy of mine and decided to give it whirl....OUCH! the chest/back workout took my upper body out of anything for about 2.5 days! I thnk i pushed myself way too hard on it for day 1 anyway. with my work schedule and some extra curriculars I havent been able to do workouts everyday, but Im trying to do different one when I can.

Most of my work schedules are later shifts so im going to try to see if i can get my dryifring done in the morning before I go to work for the day. IN sectional is only a few weeks away and I need to really crank up the volume. My local club membership should hopefully come thru soon as well so hopefully I can get to a decent range to set up drills and work on some skills.

well, i can finally lift my arms again! def gotta ease myself into a workout program.

Got home from work after a long day and decided i needed to calm myself with some dryfire. i havent been doing much the past week-week and half and it really shows. I was feeling quite smooth end of last month and now i feel rusty, slow, and un-coordinated. after stumbling through some drills in my dryfire book, i decided the ditch the timer for tonight and just realx and do some drills at whatever pace they get done in. worked on a variety of dif things, reloads, 2-RL-2, draw to headshots, WHO/SHO, movement side to side and forward/backwards. Ran each one about 10-15 times just to get back into the swing of things. I'm making a comitment to myself to up the dryfire to 2-a-days up til the IN sectional end of the month. I need to get my head back into the game, especially with my probable upcoming class bump.

Time to get hot...

Well the bump is official now, B class in Single Stack. I've been pretty busy latley but have been managing to squeeze in some dry trigger time every day and im starting to feel better with my reloads and draws. I've got a local match tomorrow then an informal match-style practice next Thursday so that'll be 2 live fire practices before state in addition to the dryfire. I'm going to try to spend more time this coming week on movement and target transitions versus simple draw/reload drills.

Well the bump is official now, B class in Single Stack. I've been pretty busy latley but have been managing to squeeze in some dry trigger time every day and im starting to feel better with my reloads and draws. I've got a local match tomorrow then an informal match-style practice next Thursday so that'll be 2 live fire practices before state in addition to the dryfire. I'm going to try to spend more time this coming week on movement and target transitions versus simple draw/reload drills.

Congrats on the bump! Now, keep on bumping! :cheers:

Thanks, I'm doing what I can.

Shot a local match today. 5 stages, fairly easy. One long field course and a few stand and shoots. Was about 75% through the field course when i got the drop turner that hadn't been set up properly. Stopped for a second, regained composure and kept going. Ended up with a re-shoot after the ROs talked it over.

Shot another B-class score on the classifier which makes me feel good. I wanted a good run on the first match after my bump. I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable as a B shooter now.

Videos and breakdown of the stages to come later...

Been hitting the dryfire pretty hard lately and things are back to feeling good. looking forward to some live fire practice Thurs night after work and then hopefully using my new target stands for some drills later this week or this weekend. It's about all I have planned as the IN Sectional match was postponed due to 3 feet of water covering the Atlanta CC range :angry:

Three feet of water? Holy Sh*&!

Then again, they could have held it anyway....At start signal, shooter/swimmer will swim to white buoy, then engage targets as they become visible through the waves.

Or at start signal, shooter will row his canoe to the closest tie off point to the shooting box, tie off canoe, then stand in the canoe and engage targets as they become visible.

Could be fun, especially if it's very hot! :cheers:

informal practice tonight, 100ish rounds. some draw and reload drills. 2-RL-2, 4-RL-4, 6-RL-6. also did single shots and reloads at increasing distances. Also shot some steel, 6 poppers a couple feet apart. Draws all night were 1.1x-1.2 on paper and around 1.2x-1.3x on steel (I slowed myself slightly on the steel draws) from surrender or at sides, draw times were consistent all night. Cleaned the poppers in a time 2.96 6-for-6, which made me feel pretty good. Reloads need a little more work. I missed one completely and failed to seat a couple others firmly. Now I know what to practice i guess :).

I think I'm going to like these Thursday practices. Going to be nice to be able to shoot a couple times a week, once for a match score and then Thursday for drills to address weakness from the previous match. Gotta take B class by storm B)

couple of quick stage videos from last weekend's match:

~65% lower than some others, but another B classifier.

I had been away from shooting for a couple weeks and it showed. Reloads we slow and i missed a few shots on steel i shouldnt have. Finished nicely however with 9 poppers looking at me through soft cover and only having head shots on a few of them (mind you i had 9 rounds in the gun, so i couldn't afford to miss one of them and reload AGAIN)

No match this weekend as the IN sectional was postponed and my car crapped out on me Friday. Went to the range yesterday for a rifle day. Sighted in the 3gun rifle and then had some fun with my .22lr conversion kit. that may be the funnest piece of gear I have ever held in my life!!! that is most def going to be a ritual thing now, haha. Worked on some shotgun loading this morning now that I finally have a shotgun to use for 3gun(borrowing it from my boss). wow, i am no good at shotgun loading :wacko:. Definitely something i need to work on and will have to add to my training regimen. I also need to get a new shell lifter as the stock Rem 11-87 button setup HAS to go. It's too awkward to push the button, then cram the shell upward along the entire length of the lifter. Pistol reloads will be later today :)

been out shooting a couple times since last update. Thursday night was another weekly USPSA practice. some basic draw/reload drills. did a simple drill that I really liked: draw and 2 shots to the A, then take a few steps back, repeat. ended at about 25 yards. going to do this one every day i go to the range now. Did a little steel shooting. Shot them ok , but as good as I have in the past...its amazing the things you can screw up when you starting thinking about them, haha.

Had a local match at Angola today. couple of field courses, couple of stand and shoots, one rediculous 40 round shoot'em up and a classifier. Shot ok today. couple of M's on the crazy long course ( i need to work on 15-20+ yard shots more). Felt really good about the field course and stand and shoots. classifier was Quicky II, which Ive shot before. I shot it better than the last time i think, but still not great. Most likely wont be a B performance. Guess what else i still need work on? yea, WHO/SHO. considering going to the range again tomorrow to work on that with the extra ammo i have from today's match.

Worked on some shotung reloading this afternoon instead of cleanin up my house. Im currently beating a par time for a 4 shell weak=hand load from a caddy in just under 7 seconds, well 4 out of 5 i do anyway. the need to depress the button on the 11-87 shell lifter is a PITA to say the least. I'm smoothing out a bit, just need to hone it in. Id like to be about 1 sec per shell soon. Im shooting the DPMS tri-gun (well bi-gun) in late August so i got a little under 2 months to tune the shotgun skills. loading is really what im worried about as Ive been shooting shotguns for years, just never speed loaded them. Also cant forget to work on the pistol stuff with this new shotgun thing :) Practice this Thursday will be have some effort to live fire SHO/WHO as i showed I havent worked near enough on it sunday...

Thursday practice got screwed by the weather so i worked on pistol dryfire for about an hour and did some shotgun reloading as well. pistol was a little rough going and things felt awkward. put away the timer and just focused on hitting what i wanted to inthe way of calling As and smooth reloads. we'll go for time tomorrow.

got bored this afternoon and picked up the gear to get some work in. I started with shotgun loading today, experimenting with differnet positions to hold the guns and how to load. saw a video today of a strong hand reload from shell caddies that i tried but didnt care for-ill be stickin to the weakhand. No timer today on shotgun stuff, just worked on get the shells from the caddies into the gun smoothly. Felt pretty good about it overall as i dint miss that many, but they did feel a little slow. Im just gonna take it slow and smooth for awhile with the shotgun loading. at this point, ill take an extra second for a few shells vs dropping rounds on the ground.

Put down the shotgun and got geared up with the pistol and mags. Started with simple draws and sight pictures. moved into turn/draw, surrender draws, burkett reloads, 6-RL-6, RL on the move, etc. I started missing some loads in the beginning on the session. I actually put one of Matt Burkett's DVDs in the dvd player and worked on draws/reloads as the video played. One thing on disc 2 i really liked was when he told Kevin to pause slightly before inserting the mag fully into the gun to ensure proper alignment. I started doing this, pausing for about a 1/2 second or so then finishing the load. Wouldn't ya know I didnt miss a single one. Every load hit home smoothly in the magwell and slid into the frame. I didnt have any of the problems not seating the mags fully as ive had the past couple days. Im gonna keep trying to do this in practice to see if i keep smoothing myself out.

Match at Warsaw is tomorrow. should be 4 stages of run-n-gun fun. Will most likely be my last real match before the IN Sectional so I want to find some errors to work on in practice the next couple weeks.

I actually dont have that much free time, but the time i do i have i use for this instead of things I should do, like mow my yard, do my dishes/laundry/house cleaning, haha. Joys of living by myself I suppose

I actually dont have that much free time, but the time i do i have i use for this instead of things I should do, like mow my yard, do my dishes/laundry/house cleaning, haha. Joys of living by myself I suppose

I work out of town so much, when I do get home, if I don't mow my yard, I can't find my truck! I literally live in a central Florida jungle....

Local match at Warsaw today. 3 32+ rd run-n-gun COFs, one smaller all steel stage and a classifier. No video today but shot so-so. First stage went REALLY well. 27 As and came in just a hair over 20 seconds. Should hopefully be a stage win at least for my division. (thanks for the target engagement tip Ryan ;)) Stage 2 my mag problems from last week reared their ugly head. I was getting some FTF issues. the round would feed in about 40% then lock things up. After the disaster of a stage I went to the safe area and gave the ramp/throat area a wipe down and the problems were gone for the rest of the day so i think I just need to keep'er clean and we'll be ok. Had one other mag issue but this was user related (failed to seat it 100%, had to tap-rack). Classifier will also be low as I threw a mike in the last target :(

Things to work on:

Dry fire-SEAT THE DAMN MAG!!! I need to get it into my head that with my magwell, i need to put more heal of my hand on the mag and get it into the gun instead of hitting the front of the well and re-gripping. I really liked the way i did my drills the other day to the Burkett video and may do that again to engrain things into my head.

Live fire-Shot calling, sight trusting. There were a few targets today where i caught myself looking up to see the result (it happened on steel more than paper). I really need to focus in on the sights, especially for any shots with distance to them. The next couple Thurs night practices, im really going to try to look at nothing but the front sight. Going to ignore the timer at practice this week and do nothing but acquire my sights and shoot. My goal is to take 100% of shots w/o having to check. If i can find some private practice session time (i doubt it as i work 6 days the next couple weeks) I want to do a drill that I saw Travis Tomasie do. Take 2 shots at 15-20 yards, then immediately look away from down range and mark a 2nd target with pasters where I think my shots are, then go check to see if i was right. I wont be able to take the next couple steps with my shooting until I can get better at this...

Corey, If I remember right you are shooting Titegroup with a 200gr LSWC? How many grains are you loading to for Major? If I remember right it was 4.9? I looked back at your posts but couldn't find it. Thanks.