Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

500 S&W

Hello everyone !

I have a XL 650 and load 9mm, 40, 45 and .223. I bought all the conversion kit, plated bullets, primers, etc. I am looking for a good set of dies with a taper crimp (plated bullets) or any other options. I don't want any issues. The bullets are Berry 350 grn plated, 15 grns of Titegroup and Winchester large rifle primers. These should be good for plinking paper.

Any help on the dies or just loading 500 S&W, in general, is much appreciated. I already have a carbide sizing/decapping die and the Dillon powder stage already expands the case, so all I think I need is a seating die and some sort of crimp die ?

Thanks for the help.

Happy New Year !

... should still make major. Any problems on steel?

Kidding.

Dillon seems to have everything for 500 on their site.

Jeff

You are a funny guy Jeff ! The 500, with a 4" barrel is a complete kick in the a*% !

I ordered all the stuff, including the dies from Dillon. They forgot to send the dies. They just sent the carbide sizer/decapper. I think they sell RCBS stuff for the 500. I believe they use a roll crimp and, from all I have read, I should use a taper crimp in plated bullets.

Rich

Hello everyone !

I have a XL 650 and load 9mm, 40, 45 and .223. I bought all the conversion kit, plated bullets, primers, etc. I am looking for a good set of dies with a taper crimp (plated bullets) or any other options. I don't want any issues. The bullets are Berry 350 grn plated, 15 grns of Titegroup and Winchester large rifle primers. These should be good for plinking paper.

Any help on the dies or just loading 500 S&W, in general, is much appreciated. I already have a carbide sizing/decapping die and the Dillon powder stage already expands the case, so all I think I need is a seating die and some sort of crimp die ?

Thanks for the help.

Happy New Year !

Interesting.....Just found out that Berry plated bullete don't have a cannelure...(Duh..everyone knows that) .....EXCEPT.. for 45/70 AND 500 S&W. I did not know that !

So, I guess I am good to go with a light roll crimp. I think the plating on the larger bullets is thicker then the norm., like 8thousands or something like that.

Just in case anyone is interested.