Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sight coming loose!

olp73

A small problem but still I’ll like to hear your opinions.

I have finally found a front sight that works for me (Dawson .09 FO green fiber, I can recommend it) My SVI slide has a front dove tail that is a little to roomy causing the front sight to move when I shoot. I noticed it was a lose fit when I installed it so I used blue loctight after wiping it clean with acetone. This was not enough to hold the sight, so I wanted to ask you what I could try next?

Red loctight?

Green loctight??

Glue?

Pining?

Set screw?

What do you recommend!? To be honest I hope for a quick fix that doesn’t involve a gunsmith.

You could try the red, maybe it will hold for you. My smith pinned mine but the screw kept working out, so I red loctited it and it would still work loose. I ended up having to put a novak dove tail sight in it to fix it.

Years ago I had the same problem and the gunsmith made a fast fix by taking a sharp punch and made dimples in the bottom of the dovetail slot in the slide. Then he used green loctite. The raised edges of the dimples and the green did the trick for me. The sight fit tight and stayed put. I shot that gun for a year or more and never had another problem with it. That was for a fast fix.

I know some brands are slightly oversize and need some polishing/slight fitting to fit in the dovetail. Looks like dimple and loctite might be the easiest way to go since you like the Dawsons. I'm not a smith but I might consider putting a dimple(s) on the bottom of the site instead of the slide in case you got a small site (and not a oversize dovetail.)

You can also use a feeler gauge and cut a small piece for a shim in a pinch. It won't work free as quickly as dimples if the sight is really undersized. Welding up the sight is a better longer term solution IMO.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

I would dimple the underside of the sight, not the slide.

+1

I gave that advice also for one of my friend and he made dimples to the slide cut. :angry2:

I told him no, no because if you screw it up sight is much cheaper to replace than slide.

Most of time I try to modify cheaper part when I am gunsmithing.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a torch and some silver solder, you can buff the bottom side of the site clean, then float a small amount of solder on it. I Did this several years ago for a new site on a very old slide.It took a little fitting to get in but it works great and does not move around. Otherwise I'd suggest pinning/setscrew.

If you like the sight and don't plan on changing it out soon, just epoxy it in place.

Had my Dawson go airborne out of my slide at a match, epoxied it in place and haven't had a problem since, even with gun scrubber.

Just had my new Dawson front sight fall out of my SV slide. I used red loctite to install it and it still came out, I must not have used enough. I had an SV FO front sight and tapped it in- it is a much tighter fit. This is the second time I've had this happen with two different guns. :wacko:

De-grease the dovetail and sight and use red loctite, green loctite or epoxy and let it cure and you should be able to fix it.

EG