Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 Area 4 Championship May 20-23

With a HF of .0601 on the 50yd stage, I'm quite happy to be the last shooter who didn't "tie" with the group since, before this, the furthest I'd ever shot with a handgun was 35 yards (the week before at MS Classic). I guess I need to do some more 50yd shooting to see if I need to do some sight adjustments since I shot clean at 35yd. :roflol:

You need to do what I do, buddy...when you practice at 75 yards, those 50 yarders start to look a little easier :roflol:

I picked up 5 mikes, but I called one of 'em :lol:

Curtis

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* As we were waiting, the gentleman that was handling our table told us that he was going to pick his prize first and then we could go? Was he top in the ranking?

I was wondering the same thing. If he was, I believe it would have been courteous to make note of such as to diaspell any ....curiosity...that might have arisen.

There was no "my name is "So and So" and I'm on the top of the list." It was simply "I'm going to get my prize first..."

No. He didn't say "my". He said "Matt". Like in Matt Mink. He turned and said "I guess Matt would want a flashlight."

Well then. :cheers: Sorry for the confusion.

It was not just the first person on the list. As names were called and people were not there, they were skipped unless the name caller knew them and then he drew them a prize. If he or non of the other callers knew who you were, forget it. It was not handled very well at all. Yes, I agree that if you earned a prize you deserve to get it, BUT stick around. The rest of us had to listen to that gaggle screw of an awards ceremony.

How do you give a guy the award and ask him to come back so you can give it to someone else, because you can not figure out who won???? I think they owe alot of plaques!

If someone had just bothered to check the competitors class rankings before the match it would have been much easier to get plaques. A large percentage of the shooters were listed in the wrong class until the Sunday results, shabby!

Edited by geauxshootin

So I have a question that might belong in it's own thread but I'll ask here anyway.

If Mike Seeklander beat 3 GMs at an area match, does he get bumped?

If so (or if not), will this match show up on the classification page for Production ?

I wasn't going to jump in here, but I want to float this out there. Tom got this match less than four months from the shoot date. An MD usually has a full year to get a match together like this. If you have ever tried doing one of these things, you would be less quick to be critical. I know what a bitch it is since we got the Area 5 with less than six months and we're still behind where I would like to be. There just aren't enough hours in the day. Remember, Tom isn't making a dime off the match unless someone happens to buy some steel. He donates prizes to the table and busts his ass to make try and make it as good as he can in the limited time available. If there were other issues, I'm not looking at those, just the time pressure involved. I know I was quick to criticize in the past and I apologize for those remarks. Once you have put your own ass on the line, you look at it differently. The best you can hope for is an atta boy, and damn few of those. Frankly, I don't know why anyone would WANT to be an MD. It's a thankless job. If Dale and I don't screw up to badly, we'll take on the second one as is custom for Gary Stevens, but after that, I'm done. I want to go back to just shooting matches, cause the fun factor is severely limited when you take on the responsibility for everything from hotels to porta pots.

We know you have spent good money and we try as best we can to make sure you have a good, safe match with as few problems as possible. What the shooters have to keep in mind is we don't get a damn thing, not that we want anything, but a little consideration for the hundreds of hours we spend and the worry over all the stuff that it takes to make a match run.

Try and keep that in mind before you flog them...

Best,

JT

Edited by JThompson

JT, I appreciate your insight. I don't think any gripes here have to do with the MD specifically. I agree that Tom did a great job and, personally, aside from a few gripes which have already been mentioned, I had a great time.

As for issues, there will aways be issues at a match. As for the R.O.'s They worked their B@##'s off. When I got to L. if I know, or Who Knows, it was the end of the day. The RO's and Cro's were worn to a frazzle, but kept trudging through. I think one went down because of the heat but stayed to do what he could to keep it going. The only time I had a "look" from an official was at the Chrony. He asked what weight my bullets were and I responded 230. As I was shooting a 38 super in Revo Division I saw the eyebrow go up. EERR, huh, I mean 130.. :roflol: Overall the match and stages were great. But then again I love the 50 yard shots as that is about all I'm good at. Next year in Tulsa I'll be there not near the drive for me. later rdd

Yup, Saturday and Sunday were pretty tough...I was scoring at everybody's fav...50 yard Fun...which means we hiked around 20,000 yards back and forth over the course of three days. I know my brain went to slide lock a couple of times due to the heat, but I rehydrated and soldiered on :roflol:

FWIW, efficiently managing a stage at a big match can be a real pressure cooker, maybe that's something that only competitors who have worked as an RO at a big match can fully appreciate. My advice to anyone who runs into an RO who's having an off day or copping an attitude, is to always remain polite and respectful when pointing out problems: that's usually the quickest way to defuse any potential conflict and get, in return, the politeness and respect you are fully entitled to as a competitor. I know I'm always grateful when a competitor politely points out an edge hit or a scoring error: I want 'em to get every single point they've earned and you're bound to make few mistakes in working 200+ shooters through a stage over three days.

:cheers:

Curtis

Edited: 'cause after this match, I can only do math up to the number 12, apparently :roflol:

Edited by BayouSlide

Tom D. did the best he could with what he had to work with. Hats off to everyone who helped. It was a long hot weekend. thank you Tom and all the RO's. See you in Tulsa in 2011.

Big Plus One.

The RO's, the stats staff, Joy and Mr. Hayden, RM, MD, all did a great job.

Did I leave anyone out? Im sure I did.

<snipping lots of complaints>

shabby!

I'd expect to see you volunteering to help some how with the match next year. I think you'd benefit from the perspective change. Some things could have been done better certainly but outright bitterness isn't constructive.

<snipping lots of complaints>

shabby!

I'd expect to see you volunteering to help some how with the match next year. I think you'd benefit from the perspective change. Some things could have been done better certainly but outright bitterness isn't constructive.

I would happily help if it were organized!

The dates announced for next year fell on a holiday weekend? correct me if wrong

some want to take any negative comments personally, I have no problem with Tom and actually felt sorry for him. He traveled a long way to be the MD.

and yes some things were organized very shabby, just ask some of the shooters that found out at the last minute that their squad and start time had changed, ask the guy who had to give back his plaque, ....

From my catbird seat on 50 Yard Fun, I was kinda shocked to see many shooters slapping the trigger at 50 yard targets instead of riding the reset. I kinda like the challenge...and occasional frustration of a long shot or a stage with strong hand or weak hand, especially when you work the oddball stuff into your practice regimen. My best stage was what I like to refer to as The Forest of Steel because I've been working on plate racks at 25 yards off and on recently.

Curtis

So I have a question that might belong in it's own thread but I'll ask here anyway.

If Mike Seeklander beat 3 GMs at an area match, does he get bumped?

If so (or if not), will this match show up on the classification page for Production ?

From the rule book

Your performance in larger matches and tournaments may also be used to help

establish classification. Placement in a major event with a score above your

assigned class percentage may result in your being promoted to a higher class,

even if your current average is lower. Winning first or second in class at an Area

Championship or Major Tournament AND shooting into the next higher class

may result in promotion (except to Grand Master); winning High Overall in an

Area Championship may promote you to Grand Master class. In addition, if you

score 95% or higher at a USPSA national championship, you will be immediately

moved to Grand Master class for that division.

Flyin

"winning High Overall in an Area Championship may promote you to Grand Master class."

That wouldn't do it?

No, he didn't win High Overall. Probably not even close. We won production. High Overall is when you put all shooters in all classes together. The person at the top is the High Overall out of all shooters at the match. I would guess Max won that.

Flyin

2/3 of the finishers didn't even get a plaque.

Just for the record, to have pacques at the match, they have to be ordred about 3 weeks before the match. At that time I only had abouot 160 shooters. To get the match on the ground I had to leave my house on May 14th. I had to order the placques on May 2nd. I also had over 20 walk on's and one that mailed the payment on May 14th. This changes the needed placques dramatically. That is 1/3rd of the total match.

Tom

and yes some things were organized very shabby, just ask some of the shooters that found out at the last minute that their squad and start time had changed,

I made a mistake ont he matrix. I would like to point out that the matrix has been published since March, and no one else caught it untill the match.

Tom

"winning High Overall in an Area Championship may promote you to Grand Master class."

That wouldn't do it?

No, he didn't win High Overall. Probably not even close. We won production. High Overall is when you put all shooters in all classes together. The person at the top is the High Overall out of all shooters at the match. I would guess Max won that.

Flyin

Gotcha. I thought that was for division. Thanks for the clarification.

I am not going to comment any more or get into a fight on this forum over things that happened or preceved to have happened. I have over 600 emails, and more than 250 hours into this match this year, not to mention that I have been gone from home since the 15th, and won't be home untill tommorrow night.

It has been common practice for proxys to be used at the prize table since I have been shooting. This is over 20 years. I will not apoligize for a $35000 prize table donated by about 20 different companies. Including a $3000 custom built 40 cal wide bode STI.

Tom