Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 Area 4 Championship May 20-23

This was definitely a challenging match especially with all the shots at distance. I had a great time with squad 30. Definitely learned a lot watching Phan, Carrell, and some members of the Texas crew shoot. Got to put a few more faces with some Enos members. Laughed at my buddy Kyle with 3 to 4 members of the Rudy team hanging off his golf cart (or gun cart as he likes to call it) going between stages. Enjoyed looking at all the STI models. I was especially impressed with the Cameron's Custom guns they had out after the shooting was done. Even the burgers were some of the better match burgers I've had.

All together, I had a great time. Hopefully I can get my butt classified by the next big match I get to shoot.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son Nic was 3rd Overall Open/High Junior and I was 5th Open and 1st Master...not to bad a weekend!

It didn't occur to me that I was the meat in a Neel sandwich... <shudder>

My son Nic was 3rd Overall Open/High Junior and I was 5th Open and 1st Master...not to bad a weekend!

Nick has some mad skills, and alot of potential, he has come along way since I shot with him at texas open last year. And the Old man is not a bad shot either.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....that's funny....

Lee

This was my first major USPSA match to attend and I have lots of mixed reviews. Overall, I will say that it went well. But here are some issues that should have been addressed.

1) When I went to get my shooter package, I was handed a course book and stickers. When I asked about the shooter "bag" everyone else had received, I was told that they had run out? How do you run out when you've had shooters registered for several months? Then I was told that they "might" have some more at the end of the match. They did, at the prize table. The same bags and some of the stuff some, my squad received the Friday night was on the table Sunday. Hmmm....

2) We were assigned to shoot at 12:30 on Saturday (squad 17) and when we were ready, they informed us that they were shutting down to go to lunch and we would have to shoot this stage on Sunday, so we started an hour late (not due to our fault) at the next stage.

3) To the WONDERFUL R/O on the "Who Knows" stage. Here is a word of advice. When you tell a shooter to "make ready" and the shooter goes thru his routine, before you decide to push the start button, do not stop and tell me to move my foot over a little and expect me to NOT go thru my shooting routine again. Remember I AM the shooter, NOT you! Also, don't get all aggravated and throw your hands in the air when I do this also, it just makes you look more of an idiot!

4) Also, on that stage, when a competitor INSISTS he hit the target and request a calibration, DO NOT get mad at me because there are 3 bullet marks on said target because YOU forgot to paint it before I shot. If I request a calibration, pls honor my request and NOT argue with me where I shot (remember, I get the benefit of the doubt) and it's up to the RM at that time, NOT YOU...

5) Last on that same stage, one sees why it is imperative to follow the R/O when scoring targets. The last target was called Alpha / Charlie, when the second shot actually was in the perforated area (more on the Alpha side). I had to stop him and contest said target, which seemed like I was wasting his time.

Now I know I was not in contention for any of the top spots, but I am a solid "C" shooter and wanted to have fun, but I also wanted to be treated fair.

And last,

How can someone that is not there still receive prizes from the prize table? The reason why I ask are these:

* As we were waiting, the gentleman that was handling our table told us that he was going to pick his prize first and then we could go? Was he top in the ranking?

* Also, as we were in line waiting our turn at the prize table, whoever was overseeing this list would call out a name, and if that person was not there, someone that was overseeing another table would tell our table that he left, but to grab the called person name something? Strange....

It was a fun match. The stages weren't complicated, but still fun. There were a bunch of 20 -25 yard targets. Probably the most I've ever shot in a match. A big thanks to all the match staff, RO's and sponsors for putting on a great match. The weather was nice and sunny on Friday, although the humidity was starting to get to me by the end of the day.

Everyone on my squad was a pleasure to shoot with, and I'm looking forward to next year's match in Tulsa

The stages were pretty good. BUT

the overall organization of the match was pretty bad.

The match happened, it was a safe match, and hopefully all of the scores will be posted soon.

However, the disorganization of the match made it a less than professional run atch.

There were some fabulous ROs and others with attitude.

I am not sure why some ROs think the shooters exist to serve them?

I do want to thank all of those folks that took it upon themselves to help make the match happen. The match would not have hapopened without you.

Edited by geauxshootin

poorly run match. whats up with a 50 yard stage, thats just stupid. rescheduling squads without notification. throwing squads together, jumping squads around. confusion abound. 2/3 of the finishers didn't even get a plaque. i won't talk about the prize table chaos. i spoke to many people that were as upset as i am about this match. i'm sure i'll get blasted for my comments, but it was just a bad show.

in the area 4 book we got, on page 9 it has the awards break down. we had at least 25 B Open shooters and they only awarded to 3 places when it should have been 5. you owe 2 more plaques to someone. and the scores have yet to be correctly posted at least from all the sources i know to look at.

area 6 just pulled 400 shooters. with this kind of organization area 4 should be concerned about our turn out with only 220-240 shooters.

as far as the range, stages, except for the 50yrd stage and all of the CRO's and RO"s they were 1st class!!!

we have to expect more and should expect more from area 4.

poorly run match. whats up with a 50 yard stage, thats just stupid. rescheduling squads without notification. throwing squads together, jumping squads around. confusion abound. 2/3 of the finishers didn't even get a plaque. i won't talk about the prize table chaos. i spoke to many people that were as upset as i am about this match. i'm sure i'll get blasted for my comments, but it was just a bad show.

in the area 4 book we got, on page 9 it has the awards break down. we had at least 25 B Open shooters and they only awarded to 3 places when it should have been 5. you owe 2 more plaques to someone. and the scores have yet to be correctly posted at least from all the sources i know to look at.

area 6 just pulled 400 shooters. with this kind of organization area 4 should be concerned about our turn out with only 220-240 shooters.

as far as the range, stages, except for the 50yrd stage and all of the CRO's and RO"s they were 1st class!!!

For the record, I don't think anyone on squad 25 encountered any issues with the RO staff? I found everyone to be polite and helpful, and questions about scoring, etc, were handled quickly and efficiently in all cases we encountered.... (that I know of)

* As we were waiting, the gentleman that was handling our table told us that he was going to pick his prize first and then we could go? Was he top in the ranking?

I was wondering the same thing. If he was, I believe it would have been courteous to make note of such as to diaspell any ....curiosity...that might have arisen.

There was no "my name is "So and So" and I'm on the top of the list." It was simply "I'm going to get my prize first..."

I was wondering the same thing. If he was, I believe it would have been courteous to make note of such as to diaspell any ....curiosity...that might have arisen.

There was no "my name is "So and So" and I'm on the top of the list." It was simply "I'm going to get my prize first..."

No. He didn't say "my". He said "Matt". Like in Matt Mink. He turned and said "I guess Matt would want a flashlight."

poorly run match. whats up with a 50 yard stage, thats just stupid.

i'm sure i'll get blasted for my comments, but it was just a bad show.

I'll only blast you for this comment. You should man up and learn how to shoot. Standards out to 50 yards are and have been a part of this game for quite a long time, whether you like them or not. It's an extremely solid test of basic shooting skills, and something you should expect to see at a major match. In fact, many of us would like to seem them far more often. By your comment, I'm guessing you're one of the page and a half or so of folks who tied on that stage... rolleyes.gif

As to your other comments, I would expect that the Area will be run a bit differently come this time next year... ;)

No. He didn't say "my". He said "Matt". Like in Matt Mink. He turned and said "I guess Matt would want a flashlight."

Well then. :cheers: Sorry for the confusion.

With a HF of .0601 on the 50yd stage, I'm quite happy to be the last shooter who didn't "tie" with the group since, before this, the furthest I'd ever shot with a handgun was 35 yards (the week before at MS Classic). I guess I need to do some more 50yd shooting to see if I need to do some sight adjustments since I shot clean at 35yd. :roflol:

For the record, I don't think anyone on squad 25 encountered any issues with the RO staff? I found everyone to be polite and helpful, and questions about scoring, etc, were handled quickly and efficiently in all cases we encountered.... (that I know of)

I found all the CRO/RO's to be very good.....while we (Squad 25) were delayed a time or two, Paul moved us around and we got to shoot without too long of a wait anywhere. I thank them for their efforts.

Lee

if 18 months is considered a long time then yes. and actually no i did score a few points. very few. and i will man up and learn how to shoot 50 yards. never shot that far before, but now i've seen it so i will have that shot for next time.

So, I take it he was on "top of the list"... That would be the list that has YET to be published (at the match yesterday, on here or the USPSA website), correct? I'm pretty sure that there was NO list that was posted yesterday with the overall production scores ( and I looked at all of the list in the 1 hour wait )... The only list of that nature was that of each individual stage.

And... If indeed it was Matt Mink, what gives him the right to accept prizes from that table on other peoples behalf when they are not present? As it was understood, YOU HAVE TO BE PRESENT TO PICK OFF OF THE PRIZE TABLE. Please correct me if I am wrong here...

But, at the end of the day, it's NOT my match to run. And for the record, I have assisted with events of this nature and more, so I do know what I am talking about; I just feel that EVERYONE should be treated equal!

The guys at the end of the prize tables were definitely going off of an "overall per division" list as far as I could tell. I'm not sure why it hasn't been published yet but he was definitely going down the line scratching off every name as they were called which lead to me believe it was a divisional list.

As far as the prizes, I think it's a standard that a competitor may have someone claim their prize for them if they can't be present. If no one is there to claim their prize then it goes on. This type of awards presentation would probably happen more-so for "by placement" prizes than random.

If "by placement," I feel like they have earned that prize and should be entitled to it as long as they make a reasonable effort to retrieve it (even if someone else picks it up). If it's random then that's their loss since, technically, they have not "earned" it.

Just my two cents.

It's 14:26 MDT and I just checked the USPSA website for the umpteenth time for Match Results.

http://www.uspsa.org/mr/match_index.php?year=2010&match=2010_Area_4

It says "These results were uploaded 05/24/10 12:05 (Central Time)" (almost 3 1/2 hours ago) but when I click on my name the results from only four stages are listed; which is what was posted Friday evening! :angry:

I had to leave early to catch a plane. I'd like to know how I did. Are they posted somewhere else? :angry2:

With a HF of .0601 on the 50yd stage, I'm quite happy to be the last shooter who didn't "tie" with the group since, before this, the furthest I'd ever shot with a handgun was 35 yards (the week before at MS Classic). I guess I need to do some more 50yd shooting to see if I need to do some sight adjustments since I shot clean at 35yd. :roflol:

You need to do what I do, buddy...when you practice at 75 yards, those 50 yarders start to look a little easier :roflol:

I picked up 5 mikes, but I called one of 'em :lol:

Curtis