Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is Polite Society?

JWK

It's essentially a semi-competitive acitivity where the intent is pay more attention to developing and practicing defensive skills than is typically done at an IDPA or USPSA/IPSC match. It's about half way between our conventional practical shooting sports and the National Tactical Invitational (NTI).

HAHAHA good one Ron! What his sarcasm is meant to suggest is that Glocktalk should be re-named "Rude Society". I would go even further and name it "Rude and Ignorant Society". It is "the anti-BE".

Anyway, returning to the BE civil mode, Polite Society, from what I understand, was spun off from IDPA by those who felt that IDPA was (or had become) too much of a game and that it strayed from the intent of teaching one to be "tactical" or preparing to handle a situation in a "tactically correct manner". I consider all action shooting sports to have worthwhile training value including cowboy action though I choose to only shoot USPSA. The name comes from the addage: "an armed society is a polite society".

WOW......

I've never been to Glock Talk, but when I saw Ron & Carlos' posts I went over to have a look. I swear I clicked on two posts.....the first was asking if a glock will fire when droped, a COP said while having a discussion with some fellow officers he droped his loaded glock on the ground on purpose to prove it wouldn't fire. Then he was surprised when he was "written up" for it. The second post I clicked on was asking where to keep loaded guns with children around. A guy said he had a revolver on his nightstand until he had kids then he switched to a 1911 with a loaded mag and empty chamber because there is "NO WAY" a child could rack the slide therefore it was safe to leave on the nightstand.

Un-f'in-believable.....I won't be back there.

sorry for the thread drift

I suppose I shouldn't have made the smart remark about GT. There are some very good people posting over there. Flexmoney, Matt Burkett, etc. The forum is ok, but they really do get a bit obnoxious with each other from time to time. :) My apologies to all the Glocksters.

I have a competent and highly intelligent shooting friend who belongs to GlockTalk and I keep teasing him that he should give it up and join a couple of the more 'civil' forums. He shoots Glock though, (and is selling his Kimber, dammit!!!!), and I can't talk him out of THAT. <_< So...

But his postings on GT are of the "he seems to have an answer for everything" variety so he keeps his cool and slogs thru the bashing, mashing and doofiness that is sometimes GlockTalk. :wacko:

But then I go risk my neck over on 1911forum now 'n then. It's just as crazy over there sometimes. :blink:

Then there's the SigForum.... :rolleyes:

Garfield:

Actually, I didn't intend to bash the other forums. That's why I apologized for my remarks. Flex, Matt, others and myself are regular members over there. In fact, we send folks from over there over here. It's all just good natured fun over here talking about over there, lol.

It's kind of like the the good natured joking between rhino and sig lady about the 1911 forum. As rhino could attest, I post on the 1911 forum when I feel like picking on Mayo and other IDPA shooters, but I leave them alone over here, lol. I guess I should have known better and maintained my usual high standards by taking the high road. :D

Back to the Polite Society. I did a search and there are several web sites that do a decent job of explaining the purpose of the polite society. From what I gather, they take their name from the old quote:

An armed society is a polite society.

If that's the basis for their being, I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to figure out where they are coming from.

Ok, maybe I'm just a little bit overcautious.

But I have left GT (and other forums) because of the atmosphere there, and i wouldn't want to see this forum going that way.

Not that I am really afraid of that though.

Ah well, I'm just babbling, ignore me here, it's been a hectic week :wacko:

Garfield:

I am just babbling too, but now that I think about it, I should refrain from making comments about other forums unless they are positive comments. You are right, negativity can breed negativity and we don't need that here. I appreciate your gentle reminder.

Man it has been a hectic week. Hey, maybe I ought to go see if anyone has started the Friday flame war, lol.

Agreed here too & its good to get back to useful content. Thanks for the links. Personally, I accept the schisms in action shooting sports as inevitable & think the best way to keep all shooters & gun owners on the right track is to minimize the differences between the sports (USPSA, IDPA, Polite society, even SASS & the others) and just shoot them all if possible. If PS came to my town, I'd give it a whirl. The people doing it are handgun owners & that alone makes them "my kind of people". Time spent shooting is time well spent as far as I am concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno . . . what little I've heard about Polite Society makes me think they're mostly wannabes who are at least one shy of a six pack. :wacko: These guys sound like they want to be the hardest of the hardcore defensive/combat shooting guys, but really, who else runs a HOT RANGE WITH NO 180 RULE??? Not a bright idea.

So they disqualify a person who points a (LOADED! ...hot range, remember?) gun at a person...is that going to make a person feel better if he's shot by the DQ'd person? <_<

I don't know about y'all, but I think I'd pass on a Polite Society event. And if I owned a range, I'd seriously think about whether I'd want to open myself up to that kind of liability.

They hold Polite Society matches at the club I belong to. So, one day I'm at the range practicing and one of the PS shooters walks up and invites me to their match. I ask him a few questions since I had never heard of PS, like, do you use timers, how do you score targets, do you award trophies, etc. After a while, I said "so, its a game, right?". He was very adament about his NO reply and seemed insulted. He said it was intended to be more real world than IDPA and people shoot PS to improve their defensive skills. I said, "well, if I were to come, my soul intention would be to win". He replied "don't come" and walked off. I could not resist and as he walked off I asked "can I bring my Open rig?". hehehe

• 2 weeks later...

I will be attending my first polite society "event" this Feb in Memphis. I am quite interested to see what my impressions of the other participants are. For the record, I am an IDPA shooter, but my primary goal is to win. I guess what I am saying is that I am more gamer than tactician, however, I really like the concept of a well developed defensive confrontation scenario. As far as the hot range thing goes, wether I am comfortable there or not depends on the other people there. This is not what I would consider a "newbie" activity, but if everyone acts like adults I don't see a problem. How can you carry a pistol for self defense and at the same time whine about people doing it AT A GUN RANGE? Of course, if you only play games with your guns (which is fine by the way), you can say that all you want. I will give my impressions after the "event". (I might get disqualified if I call it a match.) ;) Adam