Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Gearing up" for USPSA - What do I need?

Pro2AInPA

Ok you've convinced me. I either need more mags or I need to shoot L instead of L-10!

Just shoot Limited, and you'll only need 2-3 mags per stage! ;)

For starting out shooting local club matches - no, you probably dont need anything else. Go have fun.

But if you plan to shoot USPSA for many years to come - you will buy new gear until you have a drawer full of holsters, belts, and mag pouches and you find what works for YOU.

Or you could listen to the fine folks here and get the CR Speed mag pouches (which are legal in every division by the way), CR Speed belt, and about 5 more Glock mags. These all seem to be universally accepted by shooters from D class all the way to GM.

You can never have too many mags in your range bag especially when yoru talking about relatively inexpensive Glock magazines. I think I have about 15 G34 mags, and 8 G35 mags. It is alwasy nice to load them all up before a match and then not have to worry about reloading again until the next match.

You don't need more mags to shoot limited 10 at all. I shoot production with 5 mags all the time. Most everyone I shoot with reloads mags after they shoot a stage. You do need more mag pouches though. 1 double mag pouch won't cut it. That only gives you 31 rounds with the 2 on your belt and 11 in the gun. It will force you to reload out of a pocket if you need more mags.

Five on the belt is a nice plus just in case. I ran a stage where the start was going through a doorway. Sure enough, opened the door, hit the door frame just right and it ripped two mags off my belt. This was a 32-round field course with a LOT of steel. It was nice to have the extra mags. Started with 61, lost 20 immediately, but still had enough to finish. If I'd started with 41 and lost two.....screwed. R,

I shoot L10 and carry six mags on my belt along with the one in the gun at start, I have (not too often) had to use all of them. If a revolver shooter sets up a long field course with several six round arrays, you will make as many reloads as he will.

Like others have said, make sure that you have plenty of mags, and pick up another pouch or two and play with what you have. Your gear will evolve to your liking after a little while. I wouldn't spend a lot of money just yet.

Hurley

Well I ordered some gear.

3 CR Speed versa pouches

2 Arredondo base pads

1 CR speed high torque belt

1 Dawson ICE magwell

:)

I decided to go with the CR speed pouches because I plan on switching to a 1911 in the summer and I can use those pouches for single stack mags as well.

Well I ordered some gear.

3 CR Speed versa pouches

2 Arredondo base pads

1 CR speed high torque belt

1 Dawson ICE magwell

:)

I decided to go with the CR speed pouches because I plan on switching to a 1911 in the summer and I can use those pouches for single stack mags as well.

Good choice - shows you are serious :) - in local matches you see everything and all inbetween. There are folks with a rig like you just ordered or more and some that use the XD gear stuff that came with their gun. In the beginning it doesn't make that much difference. I started out in production with blade tech holster, three of the double pouches, CR speed belt and an XD 9mm. When I went to limited went with XDM 40 from canyon creek, their extended mags the versa pouches and the rest I already had. Sometimes when I shoot limited minor (low money/high round week) I use the XDM 9 with same rig and Canyon Creek base pads in a different color (I get confused easily). All work well for my newbie level of experience and all provide equal amount of fun. When I shoot production used 6 mags and that seems to work ok.