Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Gearing up" for USPSA - What do I need?

Pro2AInPA

My first USPSA match is just a few weeks away. I've shot a ton of local non-sanctioned matches so I do have some gear. Just wondering what you guys think I still need for my first match.

I'll be shooting a Glock 17L in Limited 10.

I have 5 magazines.

I currently use this paddle holster from Comp-Tac:

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=53

My only mag pouches at this point is just a cheap Fobus double mag pouch. Is there a real tangible advantage to dropping the coin on 4 of the CR speed pouches at $33 a pop? Do they really speed up reloads significantly?

As far as a belt, I'm using a Wilderness Tactical instructor's belt. It's solid. What's the advantage of the CR speed and Double Alpha belts with the separate inner and outer belt?

My other question relates to the use of a magwell. If I get one of the Dawson ICE magwells, will I be able to effectively complete reloads without extended basepads on my magazines?

Get good with the Fobus pouches until you have the coin to lay out for the others.(If you have the $$ now then go ahead, cause you will get them sooner or later for limited anyway and you can use the shims to run these with other mags.) You will like the angle of the CR speed pouches though. I really like mine. First thing is just concentrate on getting good and safe/comfortable with something serviceable. That way you will start to really see what it is that you want by seeing what it is that your current bargain gear is not. You may get to the end of the season and want a different gun, then at least you can still run the same mag pouches.

The CR/Double Alpha belts are cool as you dont have to take off the inner to gear up/ungear you rig. They are also stiff which makes solid quick draws possible. Wait until you run a regular web belt and it gets older, it will flex on the draw, and comedy will ensue as you try to draw and hike your trousers way up on your strong side. Been there , done that.

I run a small magwell, don't know about the one you are talking about, but the extended basepads often offer added capacity which is never bad and increase your chances of positively seating your mags on a reload. (Win/win if you ask me)

That's all I have, I'm sure others will chime in. Use the search function here as you will come across things that will relate, it wont waste your time.

JZ

Thanks for the replies guys. Will the paddle holster work ok for now with the CR/DA belt setup? I'll eventually get one of the CR holsters but I'm not ready to take that plunge just yet.

You can ask someone with a CR belt if your holster will run on their belt. They should be able to set you straight.. I really like the BladeTech DOH holster for Limited. I can take off the DOH part and use it for Production with just the stingray attachment. I thought the CompTac was just like the Bladetech holster. That shouldn't hold you back I would think.

Shoot what you have for now. You have enough to get you going. The gear you have now will not be holding you back for your first match. After you shoot a few matches you will see what everyone else is using and you will be able to make an educated decision.

Thanks for the replies guys. Will the paddle holster work ok for now with the CR/DA belt setup? I'll eventually get one of the CR holsters but I'm not ready to take that plunge just yet.

You can ask someone with a CR belt if your holster will run on their belt. They should be able to set you straight.. I really like the BladeTech DOH holster for Limited. I can take off the DOH part and use it for Production with just the stingray attachment. I thought the CompTac was just like the Bladetech holster. That shouldn't hold you back I would think.

Jimmy,

Right now, I have a DOH attachment for Production. Can I take it off and put on a sting ray attachment on and be legal for IDPA SSP?

If you are gonna shoot Limited or Limited 10 get the CR pouches or some other brand of adjustable pouch, you really only need two, then the back two you can use a traditional style double pouch, you need more magazines, You wont make your squad mates happy having to reload every stage and not helping with the taping, Oh and everyone doesnt have Glock numbers memorized a length and caliber helps, but isnt a 17 a 5" 9mm? You may be more competitive shooting production.

Your belt is fine, the two part belt systems let you set up all your gear exactly right and not have to thread the belt through your pants and rearrange everything every time you take it off. Just makes things easier. I would replace your paddel for some kinda belt hanger, sooner or later you are gonna go for the draw and come out with the pistol and holster still together.

He cant shoot Prod. with a 17L. Thats a 6" 9mm, which is a no-no. But I like Joes idea of getting at least 2 of the CR Speed mag pouches, and using what you have now for the back 2. And you'll be fine with the mags you have now. Everyone has to reload after shooting a stage. Just do it as soon as you shoot, and get back to pasting when you can.

My first USPSA match is just a few weeks away. I've shot a ton of local non-sanctioned matches so I do have some gear. Just wondering what you guys think I still need for my first match.

I'll be shooting a Glock 17L in Limited 10.

I have 5 magazines.

I currently use this paddle holster from Comp-Tac:

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=53

My only mag pouches at this point is just a cheap Fobus double mag pouch. Is there a real tangible advantage to dropping the coin on 4 of the CR speed pouches at $33 a pop? Do they really speed up reloads significantly?

As far as a belt, I'm using a Wilderness Tactical instructor's belt. It's solid. What's the advantage of the CR speed and Double Alpha belts with the separate inner and outer belt?

My other question relates to the use of a magwell. If I get one of the Dawson ICE magwells, will I be able to effectively complete reloads without extended basepads on my magazines?

Your holster's fine. Your belt works. The advantages of a CR Speed or Double Alpha belt over a Wilderness are increasing solidity, the ability to have the belt close in the back and to let your mag pouches run across the front, and that you can leave your belt set with your gear where you want it. I shot with a Wilderness belt for the first year or so -- got my first competition rig on clearance when Safariland was getting rid of a bunch of stuff.....

If you think you're going to want the CR Speed pouches anyway, by all means order them now. If you're not sure what division you want to play in the long run, then I'd hold off and buy another Fobus, or Uncle Mike's or a couple of the Comp-tac pouches --- although there you're pretty close to CR Speed territory....

Running a magwell like the Ice on a Glock without extended basepads doesn't work --- you won't be able to reliably seat full mags at speed....

I'd grab another cheap double pouch and another mag or two and call it a day.....

You wont make your squad mates happy having to reload every stage and not helping with the taping

You're kidding, right? We now expect people to not have to reload mags between stages/after their run? How long does that take? We usually manage to be reloaded by the time the next shooter is done shooting -- and that's stuffing ten rounders for production....

Well probably not a taping issue, but seems like it would be a pain to have to reload hole handful of mags each and every stage, I would feel like I was being rushed and would add to the stress.

The way my mentors explained it to me was if you are on deck you should be focusing on your run and not taping and immediately after you shoot you should be reloading/prepping for your next stage. All other times are taping, setting steel, brassing, scoring, RO'ing, etc. Seems like when a shooter doesn't prep for their next stage immediately is when they come to the line unprepared when their name is called again.

So it looks like you are good on mags unless you have a killer COF and make up a lot of misses. In production I carry five mags on my belt and start with one out of my pocket. Or you might want a few extra in case some go bad or get lost, whatever. Just get the few items as mentioned above, i.e a few more cheap pouches etc.

The gun you have will put you at a slight disadvantage in L10 due to scoring minor. But there is a ton of info here to explain that.

You will eventually get a CR belt/rig so do as others have said and go shoot and look around at what everyone else is using and the common denominators will start filtering out.

Have fun and good shooting.

Shoot what you have for now. You have enough to get you going. The gear you have now will not be holding you back for your first match. After you shoot a few matches you will see what everyone else is using and you will be able to make an educated decision.

+ 1. This is good advice. Go play with what you have and glean from others at the match. You can go a long way on basic equipment.

I wouldn't go buying a whole bunch of gear, but a couple of mag pouches (at least 2 more, and 3 is better) would help. Eventually you're probably going to want more mags, so grab a couple of them from someplace like CDNN ($19.99 right now with a special $5.99 shipping on any order)...but you can get by with 5 for now.

I'm not sure I'd spend the money on another inexpensive mag pouch. Without spending too much more you can step up in quality to something you'll keep as a spare even if you later decide to go with another style pouch. I use the Ready Tactical pouches on my Production rig and they're perfect.....simple, fast, secure. You can check them out at one of our sponsor's sites (I got some of mine from Chris):

http://www.cpwsa.com/ready_tactical.htm

Well probably not a taping issue, but seems like it would be a pain to have to reload hole handful of mags each and every stage, I would feel like I was being rushed and would add to the stress.

O.k. I've typically got ~ 12 mags in my bag, but I usually use just six of those, reloading the 2-4 that I typically use on a stage, as well as topping off the mag I use for the first round chambered....

It doesn't slow me down, or make me feel like I'm being rushed. And I fully expect all other competitors to need a moment after their run to get themselves reorganized.....

My production rig has two Humes double pouches and 1 single pouch on it and have been using this rig for several years. That gives me 51 rds to start with and even with 3 reloads I still have one mag left. Your rig could use one more pouch a with a double being better that a single. Instead of spending lots $$ for new pouches ask at the next match if anyone has any used pouches you can buy or borrow to see what you might want to buy.

Good luck..

Trini

Hello: The Comp-Tac paddle holster will work fine with a CR Speed belt. I have tried alot of mag holders and like the Safariland 771's for STI mags. They work great for Glock,CZ and 2011 mags. As a bonus they are only $22 each. The Blade Tech DOH works well with the long slide Glock 17L and G24. I wanted to try the Comp-Tac with the removable belt attachment. I would turn the belt attachment upside down and use it as a dropped holster. For limited 10 I would have 6 mags but you can put 2 or 3 in your back pocket. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Spend the cash on a good belt. Either the CR or AA will be fine. You'll throw rocks at anything else.

+1

Your Wilderness belt is nice too and a lot of guys use them. The biggest advantage to the DA or CR Speed is the ability to take your gear on and off without moving anything around. I think your holster and mag pouches should always stay in the same spot so that your hands can "find" them without fail. I have marked the exact position of all my stuff on my belt so that I can make sure it never moves.

I have both a DA and a CR Speed belt. I prefer the inner belt on the CR Speed and the Outer belt on the DA. The problem with the inner belt of the DA is that it is too thin. The inner CR Speed is nice and thick. There isn't a problem with the outer belt of the CR Speed but the outer belt of the DA is much more rigid. I use the outer DA belt with a CR Speed inner belt for 3 gun as I sometimes have 9 different items hanging off the belt and I don't want it to move a bit when going prone. For pistol only competiton I recommend the CR Speed over the DA.

I really like the CR Speed mag pouches for their ease of grabbing a magazine. They hold the mags just snug enough so they dont't fly out but you can get one out without the pouch hanging onto the mag and pulling your belt up which is annoying especially if the mag really sticks and you give yourself a big wedgie right in the middle of a stage. :roflol: I have tried the blade tech pouches but they are less versatile than the CR Speed. I do use the Blade Tech pouches for 3 gun as I can crank the mags in them really tight so they don't go flying when I go flying through a stage.

I have a Dawson magwell on my G35 and you can reload it without extended mags but its not as fast and easy as it is with the Dawson extended base pads on the mags. I wou;d recommend buying both the base pads and the mag well. My reloads are a lot smoother and faster on my G35 with ext pads/magwell than on my G34 with stock pads/no magwell.

Good luck in your first match! :cheers:

Edited by jtischauser

Wow lots of new info since I last checked in here, thanks everyone!

I'm really surprised that folks are saying 5 mags won't be enough. :mellow: Including the +1 at the start, that's 51 rounds of ammo at the ready in L-10 and 86 rounds in Limited.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

If you don't ever miss, and shoot to slide lock, technically speaking you'll never need more than 32 rounds in a total of 4 magazines.

But some targets may require makeup shots (especially those pesky little plates), and you'll learn that, for most field courses, reloading a partially spent magazine on the move saves time over shooting to slide lock and doing a standing reload.

My club has stages where 6" steel plates are shot at 25 yards or more, and when the stage designers are feeling unkind, they'll break out the Texas Stars or our new rotating plate rack. Easy to dump a whole magazine or more per array...

Local competitors in the six/eight/ten round divisions typically carry 5 to 7 reloads on their belts...

eta:

and if, during a stage, you drop a mag or one or more goes down on you, all of a sudden you may not have enough mags to even finish. If you lose a mag or one becomes unreliable, you may not be able to shoot the rest of the match w/o being short on ammo during each stage.

Edited by kevin c

If you don't ever miss, and shoot to slide lock, technically speaking you'll never need more than 32 rounds in a total of 4 magazines.

But some targets may require makeup shots (especially those pesky little plates), and you'll learn that, for most field courses, reloading a partially spent magazine on the move saves time over shooting to slide lock and doing a standing reload.

My club has stages where 6" steel plates are shot at 25 yards or more, and when the stage designers are feeling unkind, they'll break out the Texas Stars or our new rotating plate rack. Easy to dump a whole magazine or more per array...

Local competitors in the six/eight/ten round divisions typically carry 5 to 7 reloads on their belts...

eta:

and if, during a stage, you drop a mag or one or more goes down on you, all of a sudden you may not have enough mags to even finish. If you lose a mag or one becomes unreliable, you may not be able to shoot the rest of the match w/o being short on ammo during each stage.

Ok you've convinced me. I either need more mags or I need to shoot L instead of L-10!

You don't need more mags to shoot limited 10 at all. I shoot production with 5 mags all the time. Most everyone I shoot with reloads mags after they shoot a stage. You do need more mag pouches though. 1 double mag pouch won't cut it. That only gives you 31 rounds with the 2 on your belt and 11 in the gun. It will force you to reload out of a pocket if you need more mags.