Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 or .308 - That is the question

WoodyTX

I have a Dillon 550 set up for .45 ACP, my primary pistol caliber. I also have pistols in a number of other calibers, but don't shoot near the volume with any of them that I do with the .45. (I go through maybe a box of .32, and about 4 boxes of .40 in a year.)

I've also got an FAL in the works, a Mini-14 in hand, and a AR en route. I'm curious about reloading for one or both of the rifles, but have seen that it can be a much more involved process than the .45. How much more involved? At current ammo prices, is it worth the additional headaches and costs of reloading rifle rounds? (Probably.)

If you were to reload one of the above rifle calibers, which would you choose to reload, based entirely on prep and PITA-factor? Or would you simply base your decision on cost and relative volume of ammo? (In other words, if I burn 50 boxes a year of .223, but only 5 boxes of .308, I'd obviously reload the .223.)

For what it's worth, I like the "forgiving" nature of reloading for the .45. I don't have to worry too much about exact OAL, crimp strength, chamber pressure, etc. (Don't get me wrong; I still worry about those things, but the cost of failure isn't as high as, say, a .40 S&W).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you want to load blasting ammo, .223 isn't too bad, but it's definitely more of a PITA than straight wall pistol cartridges. I have never loaded .308 blasting ammo but I'm sure it'd be just about the same, just harder to size.

Rifle loading saves you WAYYYYYYYy more money than pistol reloading, no matter what the goal. Cheap blasting ammo will be better quality, more consistent, and half the price of comparable factory ammo. Match loads will be about half the price of comparable match loads, but take time to load properly.

For precision rifle, I see no point in shooting unless I can load for it. For blasting ammo it'd be a wash if I wasn't broke. Anything inside of 300 yards out of the AR uses blasting ammo.

Edited by twodownzero

Do you mind changing between large and small primer tubes? You're set up for large with .45

I load .40, .38SC, and .223 on my 550. I load .308 on a rock chucker. If I had alot of .308 to load and/or .45 I would have another dedicated 550 for large primers. But that's just me :)

Just as a side note, the shell plate & locator buttons for .308 are the same as the .45, so that means for the changeover, all you'd need is a powder funnel and change to the large powder bar, or a separate powder measure dedicated to the .308.

Alan~^~

Just as a side note, the shell plate & locator buttons for .308 are the same as the .45, so that means for the changeover, all you'd need is a powder funnel and change to the large powder bar, or a separate powder measure dedicated to the .308.

Alan~^~

What he said. This time of year I try to get most of my rifle loads done. At the same time I do my .308 I'll load what .45 I'll need.

Thanks for the replies. For now, limited bench space means that a second reloader is out of the question. I have plenty of each, so I may start with .308 out of sheer ease of conversion.

I'll decide on .223 once I'm comfortable enough with reloading .308. (Besides, there should be tons of surplus .223 after everyone in the Middle East sings 'Kumbaya', right?)

I have heard that .308 is a "more forgiving" round to reload. Would y'all consider that an accurate statement? And yes, I am initially looking for reloading 'blasting' ammo. I'll get more comfortable with the process before going for accuracy.

I've loaded very accurate 223 stuff on a 550 so don't let that deter you.

The PITA part of reloading 223 & I suppose 308 is the case prep. So, buy the once fired brass already prepped.

Now it is no different than loading 45. Neck size the brass, prime, drop powder and seat the bullet. Done.