Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any BPCR shooters here?

G-ManBart

Okay, for a while now I've had this idea that shooting some BPCR (for those that don't know, it's black powder cartridge rifle) silhouette might be fun. Something about an 1874 Sharps in 45-70 or 40-65 just seems like it would be a hoot. The one problem is that there aren't any clubs close to here where I can just pop in and check out a match. There is one club that's about an hour away that has black powder match rifle matches and practice sessions, so I may try to check that out. If you've shot these, or have any good references like websites, I'd appreciate you listing them....I really dig reading about the guns and the history behind them. I've only shot one 45-70 and it was years ago....like 25 years, so I don't have much of a frame of reference....I might decide I'm just not into it, but the idea sure has me thinking. Anyway...feel free to chime in :)

I have a rifle that is excellent for that but there is no one even remotely interested in doing it here. We have a few guys who done it overseas and often travel away. But try and get them to do a regular match is like pulling teeth. :angry2:

Never mind. I will just stock to smashing goats at 300 with the thing for giggles. They of course frown upon me doing that as it is killing.

I shoot BPCR a little.

There is a monthly club level Metallic Silhouette shoot within my combat radius, 200-500 yards (Should have been set out in metres, but their range director couldn't get on with the French System); and I have been to a few Mid-Range BPCR Target matches, 200-600 yards. Never shot any Long Range or Creedmoor, though.

Metallic Silhouette is shot 3/4 off of cross-sticks at 300 metre pigs, 385 metre turkeys, and 500 metre rams. Most shoot prone off short sticks, but you see some shooters with bad backs sitting behind taller sticks. The 200 metre chickens are shot offhand. Rifle weight limit is 12 lb 2 oz for iron sights. There is a scope class for the old style long tube scopes but it is sparsely populated.

The last Mid-Range target match I went to, you could elect to shoot 200, 300, 600 yards from cross-sticks or "position" with 200 yd standing, 300 yd sitting, and 600 yd sticks. Long range in the US is commonly shot off the sticks but there is some international flavor action with a handrest. For that, you have to have your hand between the gun and artificial support.

BPCR shooting is a team sport. Your spotter scores your targets by knockdown of steel or conventional marking of paper, but he also coaches you with observation of wind flags and mirage. I have placed to my holding limit of accuracy because of an experienced spotter watching the conditions and keeping me close to the middle of the targets.

I started out with a Winchester Single Shot ("highwall") .38-55 left over from my CAS days, but got tired of "ringing" the 500 metre rams and them not falling down as required to score. I thought the .45-70 a hard kicker, so I bought a Browning BPCR imitation Highwall .40-65 which is thus far reliable on the steel and accurate on paper, with a 404 grain bullet at 1200 fps.

BPCR is some of the most demanding handloading I know of. You have to cast good bullets and load them right. I am at present buying bullets because the friend whose casting setup I shared is in disarray after a move. They are OK but home cast is better, you can be much tougher on QC than someone having to charge for his work.

You can learn a lot on the Shiloh board even if you shoot another brand or action type. There is also a generic BPCR board with articles and schedules; and a text of the basics in BPCR loading.

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/

http://www.bpcr.net/

http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Introdu...R%20Loading.pdf

Buffalo Arms is a good source of supplies and equipment, all but the powder.

http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Introdu...R%20Loading.pdf

Powder Inc. Is the only place I know that mailorders less than case lots of black powder. Yes, you can have BP delivered to your doorstep.

http://www.powderinc.com/

In case lots, the Maine Powderhouse is a good source, where I got my present lot, but there are some others.

http://www.mainepowderhouse.com/

Swiss, Goex Express, and plain Goex are the usual powders. I don't know anybody shooting KIK or Scheutzen, but they may be out there somewhere. Pyrodex is allowed but not much used, no other fakes need apply; and duplex loads are no longer permitted.

American made Shiloh and C. Sharps rifles are of top quality. Pedersoli is the best Italian make and the only one I have seen any number of in matches.

There are other actions besides the '74 Sharps, I like the self cocking action of a real Highwall or the Japanese Browning/Winchester. There are Ballard, Stevens, and Remington repros, I have seen ads for new Peabodys but never a gun on the range. Probably some others, the Miller Model F is considered a close enough copy of the Farrow to be allowed and Steve Earle will build you a Wesson No 2 which looks an awful lot like an Alex Henry.

BPCR shooters are not bashful about putting the old guns to work, either. My little Winchester .38 is an 1899 gun, for example.

Caliber .45-70 is much the most common, with a lot of .40-65. There are a lot of odds and ends but don't get all excited over sheer size, the so-called .45-120 on the 3.25" case is harder to work with than shorter rounds, even up to the .45-110 on the 2 7/8" case.

Thanks guys....good stuff. I'm pretty familiar with the rules, layout etc, but figured there had to be some online places with plenty of reading available (like here). I'm going back and forth on the rifle, but I think I'm going to go with 40-65Win if I buy one....of course 40-70SS is another similar choice.

The problem is there are almost too many choices! I'm leaning towards either a C. Sharps or a Pedersoli...Shiloh is out because of their wait times. I'm wearing out the computer screen doing lots of reading :-)

I've never shot BPCR, but I have done some Scheutzen with my Uncle. When using a plain base lead bullet, a precise fit is required and your casting skills need to be top notch to get the best accuracy. Weighing and sorting bullets can be tedious to say the least. But when it all comes together, the accuracy can be amazing.

Bart,

Welcome to the "Stinkers" :cheers:

I play "THIS" game too from time to time, using an semi-custom Remington Rolling Block in 40-65. It is a lot of fun to shoot, especially when practicing around smokeless shooters :ph34r: .

Jim and Joe gave the majority of the links out of my favorites folder for BPCR, but you can also find some good info at

The Open Range in their Billy Dixon Long Range Shooting Society page and also look at CastBoolits.com They are primarily about casting, but have a child board specifically for BPC rifles.

By the way, I do like your cartridge selection for this event.

Edited by Modoc

Bart,

Welcome to the "Stinkers" :cheers:

I play "THIS" game too from time to time, using an semi-custom Remington Rolling Block in 40-65. It is a lot of fun to shoot, especially when practicing around smokeless shooters :ph34r: .

Jim and Joe gave the majority of the links out of my favorites folder for BPCR, but you can also find some good info at

The Open Range in their Billy Dixon Long Range Shooting Society page and also look at CastBoolits.com They are primarily about casting, but have a child board specifically for BPC rifles.

By the way, I do like your cartridge selection for this event.

Oh, tease the animals why don't you? :P

I was (holds fingers together) this close to ordering a rifle at the end of last week and just found out I'm going to have an unexpected $4-5K dropping in my lap (Uncle Sam made a mistake) in the near future.

I definitely have settled on 40-65...I'm not a big guy and I just think the 45-70 is going to be tiring. Now I'm trying to practice restraint and figure out exactly what I want without going crazy. There's a super sweet Shiloh on GB that save for 2" of barrel length is almost exactly what I'd order....without the 22 month wait :o

Thanks for the links....I've got a couple of books on the way so I can do some more research. R,

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just came across this thread and thought I'd resurrect it.

I took the summer off from run-n-gun to do some BPCR long range precision shooting under the big shady oak trees over at the Youpon Creek club near Columbus, TX.

It has been a whole lot of fun. Challenging, demanding, frustrating when you do bad and rewarding when you do good.

Started out with a store bought Uberti Hi-Wall in 45-70, and now Santa is bringing me a Browning 1885 BPCR rifle.

Anybody else shooting BPCR?