Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How lite a trigger?

CAMO66

My Limited guns are 1 3/4, carry guns 3 1/2. It may also depend on your gunsmith, too. Most I've known won't do a real light trigger job unless they know the person well. I have a friend who puts his at 1 1/2.

If I could get all of my match guns at 2lbs I'd be thrilled, but the reality is that if everything isn't just perfect....really perfect, you can't get 2lbs or less that will be reliable and stay that way. I've got one gun that's a touch under 2lbs, two that are 2.25lbs and a couple that are 2.5-2.75lbs. I wouldn't want much over 3-3.5lbs on a match gun. For a carry gun 4-5lbs and crisp is totally fine.

Lots of folks say they have 1.5lb triggers, but few of them have actually been able to put them on a trigger gauge. I've tried several that people claim to be 1.5lbs and they're no lighter than my 2.25lb triggers....I bought a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge and using it is pretty enlightening. One of my guns has a trigger that feels lighter than another gun, but is actually heavier when you put it on the gauge (by a quarter of a pound or a touch more). The guy that did the lighter feeling one, is Matt McLearn....it's so crisp and smooth it feels lighter than it really is. I did the heavier feeling one, and it's nice, but just not quite as crisp or smooth.

The human finger/hand/body isn't well suited to sensing relative pressure, but it's very well suited to sensing relative movement....that's probably where the hitch in the system is. R,

If you have to ask the question, you don't need anything less than 3-4lbs. No trying to be an ass, but if you are asking that question i would say you are not ready for anything lighter than that...

JT

I'm sorry, I thought this was a place to learn things. As I said the Edge I have is supposed to have a 1 1/2 pound trigger in it and I just wanted to see what some of you have. I am very comfortable with this trigger what ever it is but this question was put out there as more of a mechanical question than a personal preferance question. It's nice to see what others have and works reliably and safely.

Scott

I'm with Bart, if all my guns were at 2lbs, I'd be a happy camper. As it is my open blaster is at 1 3/4. my Limited gun is at 2 1/4 and my SS is at 3 1/4. They all run reliably but it does take a practice session or two to get used to them when switching divisions.

Scott - My smith took my HPF Edge to just under 2#, I have since shot about 3or4K and its has gotten even lighter. KevinG has the lightest trigger I have seen at 3/4# on his open gun.

The problem with these light triggers is after a while the sear wears and it starts to follow and needs to be recut. If it gets worn you will notice it will follow some times in unload and show clear, this is when to take it in to be re-cut, before it unloads a mag in full auto. In dry fire don't let the slide slam shut, like releasing the slide lock, as this will cause damage to the trigger parts over time.

Sounds like your Edge is ready to go, Good Luck.

Edited by CocoBolo

If you have to ask the question, you don't need anything less than 3-4lbs. No trying to be an ass, but if you are asking that question i would say you are not ready for anything lighter than that...

JT

I'm sorry, I thought this was a place to learn things. As I said the Edge I have is supposed to have a 1 1/2 pound trigger in it and I just wanted to see what some of you have. I am very comfortable with this trigger what ever it is but this question was put out there as more of a mechanical question than a personal preferance question. It's nice to see what others have and works reliably and safely.

Scott

Scott,

I was going off your first post and didn't see the second about the Edge. I'm also in agreement with most of the others. My limited is running just over 2 and both my opens are just under 2, but 2 is where I like them to be. Hell, there is nothing wrong with a clean crisp 3lb either. When you start getting around 1lb it's real easy to let one go early. It's not a matter of if, but when. Here's how it goes. You will be pushing the draw alittle and as you are pushing the gun out to target BANG; followed by two more cause you don't know where that first one went. Ask me how I know.... I know it wasn't over the berm and probably hit the target, but....

Just an FYI lighter is not always better. In fact, I have come to believe that a heavier trigger 3+ teaches you to follow through, as well as, better trigger control. A lighter trigger can hide some bad technique with your trigger pull.

Again, I wasn't trying to be an ass... hope this helps.

JT

If I could get all of my match guns at 2lbs I'd be thrilled, but the reality is that if everything isn't just perfect....really perfect, you can't get 2lbs or less that will be reliable and stay that way. I've got one gun that's a touch under 2lbs, two that are 2.25lbs and a couple that are 2.5-2.75lbs. I wouldn't want much over 3-3.5lbs on a match gun. For a carry gun 4-5lbs and crisp is totally fine.

Lots of folks say they have 1.5lb triggers, but few of them have actually been able to put them on a trigger gauge. I've tried several that people claim to be 1.5lbs and they're no lighter than my 2.25lb triggers....I bought a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge and using it is pretty enlightening. One of my guns has a trigger that feels lighter than another gun, but is actually heavier when you put it on the gauge (by a quarter of a pound or a touch more). The guy that did the lighter feeling one, is Matt McLearn....it's so crisp and smooth it feels lighter than it really is. I did the heavier feeling one, and it's nice, but just not quite as crisp or smooth.

The human finger/hand/body isn't well suited to sensing relative pressure, but it's very well suited to sensing relative movement....that's probably where the hitch in the system is. R,

+1 :cheers:

I have 2 opens guns with the same trigger componenets. They both measure within a 1/4lb of each other on a digital gauge. The triggers were done by 2 different smiths, I consider both to be very good trigger jobs. However, one is noticably crisper than the other, like breaking glass. This trigger feels lighter, similar to your observations. I don't really notice the difference in competition.

Nothing less than 3.5lb for a carry gun, typically 4-5lb.

:surprise:

I use a dial indicator set-up to see the lift or drop of the sear when the sear comes off the hammer, if I get

the sear to let off with out any movement on the dial, its pretty dffficult to tell a 3 Lb from a 1.5 Lb

pull. I used to run all my guns at ~ 1.5 but I found that Im more accurate with a 2.5 lb with some take

up to prep the trigger. Manny Bragg got me to the prep the trigger in a class I took with him , at first

I didnt like it but his idea played on my mind and after many rounds of preping I got more and more

to like it. Now that Im fooling around with revolvers and I go back and forth the 2.5 trigger on my limited

type guns works better for me.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :devil::D