Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I think the Dillon 650 is right for me . . .

Pro2AInPA

I've been loading my ammo on a Lee classic turret press for a couple of years. It has served me well and I have loaded thousands and thousands of rounds on it. But I am gearing up to go full steam ahead and get into competitive shooting and I'm going to need to be able to load my ammo faster.

I've been torn between the 550 and the 650 but I think I want the 650 due to the auto indexing and the ability to use the case feeder.

I do have some quick questions regarding the 650

1. My loading consists of 75% 9mm, 20% .223 and 5% .45ACP. So I won't need to change calibers all that often. I've read that caliber changes are harder on the 650 than the 550, but how much harder are they really?

2. Regarding the case feeder. Am I correct that I only need to buy one case feeder and then just get the correct plates for the three different cartridges? Or do pistol and rifle use an entirely different case feeder all together?

3. For you guys that have used a 650 and a 500 extensively, just how much faster is the 650?

Thanks and Merry Christmas! :cheers:

1. My loading consists of 75% 9mm, 20% .223 and 5% .45ACP. So I won't need to change calibers all that often. I've read that caliber changes are harder on the 650 than the 550, but how much harder are they really? Not really. One or two more steps than a 550 because of the case feeder. Very easy IMO. Dont forget a case feeder on a 550 has parts that need changed during a caliber conv. Not a big deal, but it needs done.

2. Regarding the case feeder. Am I correct that I only need to buy one case feeder and then just get the correct plates for the three different cartridges? Or do pistol and rifle use an entirely different case feeder all together? YES. One casefeeder for all.

3. For you guys that have used a 650 and a 500 extensively, just how much faster is the 650? It's a BIG difference. Much nicer loading on a 650, and less to worry about with the auto indexing. Plus you have the option of getting a KISS Bullet Feeder (which would be my choice) or a powder check system to use in the 5th station. The KISS Bullet Feeder is the "single best/nicest thing" I have bought in a looooooong time. :)

Edited by Chris Keen

The only issue with your caliber choices is changing between the large primer and small primer system (and the corresponding shell plates and locator buttons, etc, etc). Some people have two priming systems so its a simple matter of swapping it in and out between the small and the large. Of course you could use the NT 45 acp cases which use the small primers and not have to change over ;)

One case feeder and multiple plates is what you'll end up with.

I haven't used the 550 and went straight into reloading with a 650. Having a case feeder and auto indexing is a plus compared to a standard 550 of manual indexing and having to load cases manually unless you buy the new case feeder option for the 550.

Also too bad you werent loading 40 & 45. Or 9mm & 40.

40S&W can use either the small pistol casefeed plate ...... or ....... the large pistol casefeed plate. Then you could get by with just 1 PISTOL plate. But you'll most likely need the LARGE & SMALL PISTOL plates, as well as the RIFLE plate for your 223.

I only load 9mm, 38 Super, & 40 so I can get by with the SMALL PISTOL casefeed plate alone. (although IMO 40 S&W is easier to run with a LARGE PISTOL plate)

Thanks for the super prompt replies guys!

I see that RCBS sells a bullet feeder compatible with the 650 now as well. :o

I know the KISS bullet-feeder seems kinda pricey, but you will never get better customer service, or a better product for you money. I've have mine for 2 years without 1 single failure or problem.

Awesome!!! :cheers:

Thanks for the super prompt replies guys!

I see that RCBS sells a bullet feeder compatible with the 650 now as well. :o

I know the KISS bullet-feeder seems kinda pricey, but you will never get better customer service, or a better product for you money. I've have mine for 2 years without 1 single failure or problem.

Awesome!!! :cheers:

What's the price? The RCBS unit is $400

Just keep your lee for .223 and 45 and forget the caliber changes, rock on with the 650 once it is set grab a hand full of bullets and start pulling the ram, 500 a hour easy. I have a friend that loads 200 every week for matches takes 12 minutes, I'm not that fast.

If you insist on constantly flipping calibers and primer sizes take a look at the Hornady LNL with EZ-Ject. With a case feeder it is the same price as the 650 with case feeder. I will warn you that the case feeder is a little tough to adjust between calibers but the rest is a snap, a $27.00 shell plate for each caliber instead of a conversion kit. You will need the snap collars for all the die. Is it as good, well I have both, I use the Dillon only for 40 and the LNL does .223, 9, 38 Super, 357 mag, and 45.

I load my low volume stuff on a 550 and my high volume stuff on a 650. The 650 is LOTS faster in my case. The case feeder and auto indexing make a world of difference. I do good to get 300 to 400 per hour on the 550 but 100 every 6 to 7 minutes is no problem at all on the 650. I just flow better with the 650.

Caliber swaps on a 650 run about $225 (toolhead w/ powder hopper, caliber conversion and dies). If you load the same type bullet and charge per caliber you can swap it out in about 5 minutes, a few more if you have to switch primer sizes too. I load 357mag, 44mag and 45acp. All 3 use the same shell plate on the feeder but the 357 uses small primers. Filling primer tubes takes time as well. I have 10 large primer tubes that I fill before I even start on the acp stuff as they will slow you down more than anyting. I generally hand prime 44mag, mostly because I don't shoot that many. Once you get your toolheads set up, all you have to do is double check charge weight, COL and crimp and then you can just go to town. I'm kinda picky (and careful) when I load magnum loads so I go slow and steady. I think the 650 is better suited to higher volume like 45ACP and the like or plinker loads in the magnums.