Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Instructors

deadeye204

This past year, my interest has in IPSC style shooting has really grown. I attended a few bigger matches this year, and now my fiance is starting to develop the shooting bug too. She asked me a while back if I would like to incorperate a shooting instruction class into our honeymoon. We are starting to plan things out, and I am trying to put together a list of instructors so we can see who is available, and figure out where we want to go.

You'll want some place with nice weather, and plenty of other fun things to do.

I'd suggest giving Frank Garcia's Universal Shooting Academy in Florida a call. He's not too far from the fun stuff down there, has a nice facility, and is a great instructor.

That does mean, of course, that you'd better be on your best behavior throughout the wedding. :surprise:

The converse is to look at some of the board instructors like Matt Cheely, who is active here, and ask them for their schedules. Maybe they'll kick in for the honeymoon discount or something.

Do make sure you and the wonderful bride to be are comfortable with the instructor and their style. Not here, but in other areas of life I've experienced some skilled instructors who would certainly turn my wife off whatever we were doing.

By the way, CONGRATULATIONS! Not only on marriage but on finding a wife who is supportive and participative.

Leam

-- Almost twenty years of good luck for me/bad judgement for her...

You'll want some place with nice weather, and plenty of other fun things to do.

I'd suggest giving Frank Garcia's Universal Shooting Academy in Florida a call. He's not too far from the fun stuff down there, has a nice facility, and is a great instructor.

+1 on Frank's place and a class there with Manny Bragg. He is an outstanding instructor and you'll have a great time over two days for his introductory course. Just bring a band aid for your trigger finger. :o

You can also spend a bunch of time and money in the nearby Orlando area. It's a great place for newlyweds. B):P

Yep most any kind of instructor is not going to like being Shot :mellow:

<_< All kidding aside

I don't think combining the shooting instruction and the honey moon is such a good Idea.

a shooting honey moon ;)

Sounds good in print, But in practice. :unsure:

What if you just worked on doing the one thing the best you can? The Wedding and honey moon, If she wants to talk about shooting on the honeymoon fine, the anticipation of shooting later could build into a good foundation.

Something small as a bad meal can taint the honey moon memories.

The wedding and the honeymoon is about Her= do it rite.

add in eddit

:mellow: I just checked with my wife = she says "wait plenty of time for shooting when you get home"

Edited by AlamoShooter

<_< I don't know that it is a trick, <_< A subconscious quest to please you most likely.

But what if a guy was to say to his girl "I want to spend our honey moon touring Bed & Breakfast houses and Day Spas"

A guy may say that ,But its not what he wants

I have been very lucky & only spent 2 nights at a Bed& Breakfast in 22 years, And -0- days at a Day Spa.

She does the Day Spa thing with her friends.

OK, compromise (that's what you do in a marriage if the two of you don't see eye to eye on something, right?):

A course at USA, as one of the things you'll be doing. When you shoot, shoot, then the guns/rigs get put away, not to be touched again for the rest of the the honeymoon.

splng edt

Edited by kevin c

You didn't indicate where you located and where you wanted to go, but...

If you are located in the southeastern US and looking for an interesting place with lots of "nature", there is a training facility in the Lewisburg, WV area that you might want to look into. Practical Firearms Training is one part of a larger group that has a good sized chunk of mountainside along the Greenbrier river. Their main focus is Law Enforcement training, but they do run some open enrollment training as well.

Their Basic Defensive Handgun course is two days and while the first day is a bit slow for someone familiar with handguns, the second day will put even a good shot to the test with a lot of time spent on off-angle, off-axis, behind cover, and shooting on the move. And depending on the time of year, an optional low-light seminar on Saturday night. The prices are reasonable and the training is intense.

And when you get tired of nature, you can spend a couple nights in the nearby five-star Greenbrier Hotel.

• 1 month later...

What??? A women that wants to go shooting on your honeymoon!!! You better bag her quick. I get scourned for wanting to go somewhere on vacation and shooting while we are there. Congrats!

+1 - This was my thought while reading the thread! Regardless of who you choose as an instructor or if you do or don't shoot on the honeymoon, GET A RING ON THAT GAL's FINGER AND HAVE HER SAY "I DO" BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES! :goof:

She has go to be great to even suggest a shooting course on her honeymoon! WOW!

CONGRATULATIONS! - Have a blessed life together!

Cheers,

Kyle