Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I find a classifier?

Pro2AInPA

If you are a 1st-time shooter they should let you shoot without first shooting a classifier. But each club I guess has different rules for newcomers.

It may be a sanctioned match that mandates that shooters be classified. Just guessing.

Contact your Area Coordinator. Go here http://www.idpa.com/acmap.asp and click on your state. If InPA in your screen name means you're in Pennsylvania, one of your area coordinators Ted Murphy is a member of this forum.

Shooting a classifier before shooting a local match is not a requirement. Being an IDPA member before your first match is not even required, and you must be a member of IDPA to shoot the classifier for credit. So what you heard or believe you heard doesn't make a lot of sense.

+1 on the "not making a lot of sense" part. You have to have a current classification (i.e. have shot the classifier within the past year for less than Master class shooters - once you've made Master in a particular division you never have to shoot the classifier in that division again) to compete in a state or national IDPA championship, but there is no requirement to have shot the classifier at all to compete in a local club match. AAMOF, as has been pointed out, you don't even have to be an IDPA member to shoot your first match, though you are expected to join before your second match. At my local IDPA club we have numerous unclassified shooters at every match. Sounds to me like either (1) this club has decided to run things not according to the Rule Book - which is bad, or (2) this "guy from the club" didn't know what he was talking about.

It's a major match, so I guess that's why I can't shoot without shooting a classifier.

Here's the link

http://www.idpa.com/major_match_info.asp?M...=Arctic%20Blast

From page 63 of the rulebook..

Requirements for a Sanctioned Match.

1. Complete a match sanction form and agreement.

2. Agree to run the match strictly by the IDPA Rule Book.

3. Accommodate a MINIMUM of seventy-five (75)

competitors.

4. Shooters will only be allowed to shoot in one (1) division

and the shooter must be classified in that division.

5. The match will contain a minimum of eight (8) stages of fire.

It's a major match, so I guess that's why I can't shoot without shooting a classifier.

Here's the link

http://www.idpa.com/major_match_info.asp?M...=Arctic%20Blast

From page 63 of the rulebook..

Requirements for a Sanctioned Match.

1. Complete a match sanction form and agreement.

2. Agree to run the match strictly by the IDPA Rule Book.

3. Accommodate a MINIMUM of seventy-five (75)

competitors.

4. Shooters will only be allowed to shoot in one (1) division

and the shooter must be classified in that division.

5. The match will contain a minimum of eight (8) stages of fire.

Got it. So, is there a list of dates to shoot a classifier or something? <_<

Seldom is.

Most people want to be entertained and find the Classifier dull and uninteresting. Clubs say attendance is down and revenue is low when they announce a classifier.

Your best bet is to contact an SO from the club and get him to run you through the Classifier before the match.

Send in your IDPA membership application, most places will accept a pending membership for match entry.

I would think that most clubs would hold a classifier the week before such a match for just this reason.

Have you talked to your club president or some of the Safety officers to see if they are going to have one before the match of if they can hold one?

Shooting a sanctioned match as your first IDPA match doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Shoot a couple local matches first to get the feel of things.

Koski

I don't see why it makes any difference. The only thing I remember about my first sanctioned USPSA match is that I got to shoot a lot more and it had more stages.

YMMV.

I tend to agree with twodownzero.

The main difference between a sanctioned match and a GOOD club shoot is the number of stages.

But you should study up. I recall a couple of guys at the '98 Nationals who were there for their first match and were pretty clueless. One did not even know of the requirement for concealed carry. No option on the spur of the moment but shirt unbuttoned and tails out, hairy chest in the wind.

Pro2A-

I don't disagree with anything said so far, but offer:

1) As already mentioned, get in contact with someone local. Use the national web sight (www.idpa.com) which lists local clubs or the area coordinator info offered earlier in the string, but make contact with a human being. Club web sights are maintained by volunteers, and may not be current.

2) Classifiers are (as previously stated) not very fun/dynamic, but are required. It must be administerd by a certified SO, but not necessarily at a scheduled match. Prior to running the FL State match here last year, we ran the classifier several times in the months leading up to the match. They may be doing something similar to ramp up for the PA match you are trying to shoot, but if not you may be able to get a local SO to run a classifier for you (and perhaps others in your situation).

3) While I strongly agree with Steve that, as an FNG, showing up at a major match with no clue will likely be unpleasant for you and possibly others, I do think that the sooner you get to a major match (and the more of them you go to) the better. So don't show up without a clue. That means you should do some homework: the rulebook is posted online, and there are bound to be local matches in your area. Go shoot a club match (or three). You have very little time to get ready, but as long as you are safe, make an effort to understand the rules and comply with them, and recognize that the people that are helping you (and they will help you) may be a bit focused on other things at times (like trying to shoot the match themselves) you should really have a good time. This goes back to #1 above: get in contact with someone local, ask for help.

I hope you make it to the Jan Match in PA!

Thanks for the input everyone. Yes, this would be my first IDPA match but I'm an experienced shooter and this will not be my first taste of competitive shooting. The club I belong to holds a non-sanctioned three gun match every month with an average turnout of around 50 shooters. I've won the past 4 or 5 in a row and I'm just now starting to get into sanctioned shooting, including USPSA, Steel Challenge, and IDPA.