Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Division - Magwell restrictions

orionshooter

Hi Gang,

I am sending my XDM9 to the Springfield custom shop for some work including a magwell install. I'm a little confused over the limited division rules so I thought I could get some advice here.

Reading the USPSA rules, I dont see any restrictions on the size of magwells for limited guns but before I buy into this expensive upgrade, I'd like to know if I'm missing anything. I am guessing that if there is no specific restriction on mag well size it might be that the gun must still fit in the box and that is what may require some restriction on the size of the mag well. Is that correct??

If that's correct, are there any specific magwells to stay away from or ones you would recommend??

Thanks in advance everyone

Paul

no requirement for limited guns to fit in a box. Only production and single stack.

Your magwell selection should be gtg though you do realize you will be shooting minor power factor with your xdm9, right?

Thanks everyone - and yes I'm new to USPSA and understand the XDM in 9mm will only get me to minor PF. Been shooting bullsye for several years and am interested in something a bit more action oriented.

I'm intrigued about the advice to shoot production with the XDM before customizing. Can you elaborate why? Is it the XDM 9 in particular which you believe is not a good choice?

Thanks again for helping educate a new shooter gang.

I believe what he is trying to say is your XDM is a good choice for Production as is without spending a lot of money except for mags. After a few matches you may find that you like Production or you might see that the XDM shooting minor in Limited isn't for you and you may want to sell it and upgrade to a STI in .40 or something else or keep it for Production and buy something else for Limited. (Also this will give you additional time to check out what others are using.) Only you know your finances and can make that decision. Whatever you do take your time so that you do not regret spending money where you don't need to.

Be safe and have fun!

Richard

PS: Been there and done that and have been doing it for 30 years.

I believe what he is trying to say is your XDM is a good choice for Production as is without spending a lot of money except for mags. After a few matches you may find that you like Production or you might see that the XDM shooting minor in Limited isn't for you and you may want to sell it and upgrade to a STI in .40 or something else or keep it for Production and buy something else for Limited. (Also this will give you additional time to check out what others are using.) Only you know your finances and can make that decision. Whatever you do take your time so that you do not regret spending money where you don't need to.

Be safe and have fun!

Richard

PS: Been there and done that and have been doing it for 30 years.

Thanks Richard - makes sense to me. I have been reluctant to consider the .40 (despite its obvious popularity) mainly because of stories I keep hearing about the diffiuclties involved in reloading this particular round. Specifically, unsupported chambers and bulging cases and the resulting negative reputation this round seems to have.

I realize this may be a somewhat subjective question but what is the preferred limited gun in use presently - regardless of caliber?

Edited by orionshooter

The main gun I see is some type of widebody .40; Caspian/S_I/Para or something. Using a .40 gets you in Major, but with better mag capacity than a .45. The widebody gets you in the 20-22 round range.

But there are others, my Dad shoots a Glock and has a great time. The XDM may work out great for you, it certainly has mag capacity; but you'll need to keep with the accuracy when shooting a minor load. For the record, I've seen a few guys shooting open with minor 9mm and doing quite well; so it can be done.

I can't prove it but I would bet money that you will find the majority of limited gun's are on the S_I platform. I think you will find that the variety of aftermarket parts for that platform are in abundance compared to a XD.

I think that the "40" reloading issue is blown out of proportion, you chances of getting "Glocked" 9mm brass are just as great. A redding GRX die solves the issue for the .40.

Good Luck

The GRX will run you about $30.00 most places and you only have to do it once to the brass. After that it should work fine in your gun. If you like the XDM platform then by all means run it but I would step up to a 40 as you have the versatilaty to shoot a lighter load in Production and not handycap yourself if you want to go up to Limited with the same gun.

Just my 2 cents

Scott

I can't prove it but I would bet money that you will find the majority of limited gun's are on the S_I platform. I think you will find that the variety of aftermarket parts for that platform are in abundance compared to a XD.

I think that the "40" reloading issue is blown out of proportion, you chances of getting "Glocked" 9mm brass are just as great. A redding GRX die solves the issue for the .40.

Good Luck