Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video Recording

IC_Cyclone

A quote from another thread:

"No other shooter should even be on the course of fire. So, they shouldn't have opportunity to pick up any mags"

So with all the video being done these days, youtube posting etc., it is obvious that there are sometimes more people on the COF than the shooter, and RO's. A match I attended recently had one of the very top shooters participating. On a long narrow "hoser" stage he got to the end and then jammed it into reverse to make up a possible mike. Ran into a throng of adoring fans that had followed along with their cameras and iphones. That's probably an exceptional instance, but it also seems that some of the youtube videos are taken by camera operators following the shooters through a COF.

I've videoed a few friends, but always from a single point well behind the start position 180. I'll use the zoom if they move very far forward. Personally, I'm not moving past the 180 of the initial start point until the range has been called clear. Others seem to have no problem with it.

Advice for the newcomer...is a cameraman on the stage during a COF an issue?

That's why I like my posercam, mounted to the bill of my baseball hat.

Back when all I had was a handheld DVD Handycam, I would bring a ladder to the matches and record from way back behind the shooting line. I got tired of just standing on the ground and catching video of mainly the RO/SO's and scorekeeper's backs.

That's why I like my posercam, mounted to the bill of my baseball hat.

Back when all I had was a handheld DVD Handycam, I would bring a ladder to the matches and record from way back behind the shooting line. I got tired of just standing on the ground and catching video of mainly the RO/SO's and scorekeeper's backs.

I totally agree! Our version of the hat cam, alittlebit improvised, does work and will eliminate any "crashing"

BTW I dig your Beretta! I shoot 92FS in Production also..

Great training tool also.

Edited by flack jacket

I like hat cam angle but it still gets a little boring after a while. I am also not a huge fan of picture in picture. I think you get the best results by combining the 1st and 3rd person views. It takes a bit more work, but I think the result is more entertaining to look at.

Edited by sslav

just me personally...after a while, I didn't feel like on intruding on any else's "getting my game face on" time by asking them to hold my camcorder and record me while I shot a stage. I would always offer to record them in exchange, and if they were interested, I had a freshly burnt DVD for them at the next match. Still...it just felt...awkward...I also thought...err ... think that having another person in the squad manning the camera slows down the scoring, the pasting, and the resetting of steel, and thus, slowing down the entire match...which in the middle of a muggy St. Louis summer was a bad thing.

I like hat cam angle but it still gets a little boring after a while. I am also not a huge fan of picture in picture. I think you get the best results by combining the 1st and 3rd person views. It takes a bit more work, but I think the result is more entertaining to look at.

SSLAV,

I do like the cut scene, it does give the vid an overall professional look. And you are right, a bit more work to make it look good.

Notice how after you shot the stage, it felt like you were soooooo slooooow then watching first person, not so much.???

A quote from another thread:

"No other shooter should even be on the course of fire. So, they shouldn't have opportunity to pick up any mags"

So with all the video being done these days, youtube posting etc., it is obvious that there are sometimes more people on the COF than the shooter, and RO's. A match I attended recently had one of the very top shooters participating. On a long narrow "hoser" stage he got to the end and then jammed it into reverse to make up a possible mike. Ran into a throng of adoring fans that had followed along with their cameras and iphones. That's probably an exceptional instance, but it also seems that some of the youtube videos are taken by camera operators following the shooters through a COF.

I've videoed a few friends, but always from a single point well behind the start position 180. I'll use the zoom if they move very far forward. Personally, I'm not moving past the 180 of the initial start point until the range has been called clear. Others seem to have no problem with it.

It is a bit of an issue. With cameras becoming more and more popular, it is one we ought to put some thought into.

I RO a lot of shooters. I tend to give the shooter a bit of space when I RO them. I don't need to be on top of them to watch their actions and have the timer pick up their shots. I have had camera operators start to get between me and the shooter!

If I am running a stage at a Major match, I will often designate a "camera area". One that gives them a good shot of the action, but also ensures they don't have any chance to interfere with the shooter's actions...nor, the job of the RO's.

Getting a good picture or video is nice, but it is down the list of priorities a bit.

Dude, great job of video editing. Takes a bit more work, but the end result is a really good looking video. I'm a big fan of Kix (or any 80's era hair bands) but sometimes I like to have a video WITHOUT any music behind it, for a more professional feel to it. I've done a few videos of major matches this year, but when it came time to do a video compilation of my LTD Nationals video I opted to go without music, to allow the viewers to focus on the shooting instead. Still ... really nice job.

And I love that Red Glock!!!! Simply KILLER! B)

Dude, great job of video editing. Takes a bit more work, but the end result is a really good looking video. I'm a big fan of Kix (or any 80's era hair bands) but sometimes I like to have a video WITHOUT any music behind it, for a more professional feel to it. I've done a few videos of major matches this year, but when it came time to do a video compilation of my LTD Nationals video I opted to go without music, to allow the viewers to focus on the shooting instead. Still ... really nice job.

And I love that Red Glock!!!! Simply KILLER! B)

+1 on no music.

I do like the cut scene, it does give the vid an overall professional look. And you are right, a bit more work to make it look good.

Thank you.

Notice how after you shot the stage, it felt like you were soooooo slooooow then watching first person, not so much.???

I did observe it first hand a few weeks ago. I shot a stage and got good hits but felt quite slow going through it. Then I was watching another shooter tear through it very fast. But his time ended up a few tenths slower than mine.

Nice vids. BTW - is a that an EVH 1984/5150 paint job you're sporting on the Glock?

8.6.2 Any person providing interference or unauthorized assistance to a competitor

during a course of fire (and the competitor receiving such assistance)

may, at the discretion of a Range Officer, incur a procedural

penalty for that stage and/or be subject to Section 10.6.2

10.6.2 Other persons may be expelled from the range for conduct which a

Range Officer deems to be unacceptable. Examples of unacceptable

conduct include, but are not limited to, failing to comply with the reasonable

directions of a Match Official, interference with the operation

of a course of fire and/or a competitor’s attempt thereof, and any other

behaviour likely to bring the sport into disrepute.

@ Bobby... dude you must be a mind reader or something because a few PM's were exchanged already between the previous posters in this thread. And, yeah, we had kinda tossed around the idea that a cameraman could be in cahoots with the at bat shooter in order for the shooter to get a reshoot on a stage.

That's quite "gamey" of you to point out what a bunch of us were already thinking, but didn't want to necessarily say out on the forum. :cheers:

Edited by Chills1994

If a stage utilises solid walls then there is a tendency for a camera person to follow the shooter down-range so they can see the action. Using mesh walls does allow the shooter to be seen without the need to follow so closely. No-one should be between the RO and the Shooter and if the camera man is behind the RO then they have a pretty limited view anyway.

Many stages that we shoot do not lend themselves easily to video coverage, a raised platform that allows the camera to look down on the action may be a viable alternative for some stages. As we strive to grow the sport we perhaps need to be more aware of how to present it, perhaps some rethink on how we design stages, make them more open where possible to improve the angles of view.

@ Bobby... dude you must be a mind reader or something because a few PM's were exchanged already between the previous posters in this thread. And, yeah, we had kinda tossed around the idea that a cameraman could be in cahoots with the at bat shooter in order for the shooter to get a reshoot on a stage.

That's quite "gamey" of you to point out what a bunch of us were already thinking, but didn't want to necessarily say out on the forum. :cheers:

I wouldn't quite say that's what I was doing, I just scanned the rule book to find any kind of rules that might pertain. At first, I started out by saying "what rules would prevent access by a cameraman?". Then I thought, well I have a rule book, why don't I look for myself and those are the 2 rules that I found that an RO might use to prevent accidents from happening.

I have not had a problem with a camera operator, but I did have an issue once with a score keeper when I was going to retreat from behind a wall to pick up a target I passed on the way down. I saw the score keeper in the line of danger so I stopped. I was not awarded a reshoot at the time. That's the good thing about it, we learn something new every time we go out, so maybe next time I'll be better prepared on how to handle such a situation.

I try to catch a video of every match I shoot. There is so much to learn from watching yourself plus it's a great way to promote the sport to your friends and newcomers. I shoot video of my buddies as well. You obviously have to be mindful of your position and I have followed the shooters deep into a COF you just have to think like the shooter and RO so you don't get in the way.

He can be, as can his equipment, if remote cameras are in use.....

I once covered the Super Squad at an Area 8 match with both handheld and remote still cameras, following the squad from stage to stage. I had cooperation from the match staff and the squad --- and a conversation with both the squad and CRO on every stage to make sure the remote wasn't in anyone's way, and that I wouldn't be either.....

An RO can always restrict photographers/videographers to the same area as the rest of the squad --- or he can provide specific instructions. From personal experience, it behooves the camera operator to keep an eye on the RO (using peripheral vision) and it's essential that the operator understand the possibilities of the game if going downrange. You've got to be able to read subtle cues from the shooter (Uh, looks like he overran a target, might come back) or handsignals from the RO....

Nice vids. BTW - is a that an EVH 1984/5150 paint job you're sporting on the Glock?

Thats what I thought too. I'm a BIG EVH fan, and I would love to see a pic of that gun a little closer! ;)

+1

The paint scheme was indeed inspired by EVH guitar.

post-8748-1261527198_thumb.jpg

post-8748-1261527132_thumb.jpg

post-8748-1261527224_thumb.jpg

Edited by sslav

From personal experience, it behooves the camera operator to keep an eye on the RO (using peripheral vision) and it's essential that the operator understand the possibilities of the game if going downrange. You've got to be able to read subtle cues from the shooter (Uh, looks like he overran a target, might come back) or handsignals from the RO....

Using multiple cameras like poser cam, for instance, helps to cut down on the need for the operator to be right there in the middle of action. I now have two additional cameras identical to the one I wear on my hat. I've experimented with placing them downrange. The results are worth while. I may put up some videos next season.

On the other hand I have started to note a tendency to shoot better when I am not filming. Doing the prepping for filming happens when you are on deck and for me at least seems to dilute my mental focus from where it should be - on shooting. So I may be ending my budding career as a film maker before it really began.

Cool vids I started this year doing more with cameras, what software are you using, you have some unique transitions that I have never seen before.

I started the year showing full clips of individual shooters shooting a stage, lately though I have switched to just high lights and stills, it completly changes the vids from technical/training to artsy but I enjoy them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85mfQFeMq1Y