Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extra storage for a IMAC question

steel1212

Is there any way to add more internal storage or should I just get a external hard drive? If so which one is good?

I've got an Iomega 1TB external sitting on my desk. It's done everything I asked it to for the last year.....

I've had good luck in recent years with LaCie drives --- we couldn't kill them at work; but that experience is 3.5 years old, so things might have changed since I left the paper....

External drive would be better for that. Are the movie files small enough to burn to DVDs as data files?

Yeah, I could do that as well.

Be wary --- if you want to archive them.....

Removable media tends to decay in our experience at the paper. I'd prefer an external drive, better two, with rotating backups, and one drive being off premises at all times.....

External drive would be better for that. Are the movie files small enough to burn to DVDs as data files?

Yeah, I could do that as well.

Be wary --- if you want to archive them.....

Removable media tends to decay in our experience at the paper. I'd prefer an external drive, better two, with rotating backups, and one drive being off premises at all times.....

+100

Removable media gets scratched, chipped & broken way to easily. Go with an external. Before you know it.. you too will have about 4TB spinning up under your desk. :roflol:

You guys like buying hard drives.

I take the files that no longer get used, and get them off my drives. Stick them on DVD's and put them in a box somewhere.

In a few years, I will be throwing away several dollars worth of DVD's, You will have dead hard drives you spent hundreds on.

You guys like buying hard drives.

I take the files that no longer get used, and get them off my drives. Stick them on DVD's and put them in a box somewhere.

In a few years, I will be throwing away several dollars worth of DVD's, You will have dead hard drives you spent hundreds on.

I've tried to pull images off of good quality CDs, burned correctly, within two years of a burn, only to find some of the data unrecoverable.....

When Kodak stopped making their gold archival quality CDs, it all went downhill with removable media --- you may be able to get by for a while if you're not putting out gigs of data per day....

I've got ten year old hard drives in the safe, whose data I can still access.....