Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New competitor with no idea what pistol to buy . . .

Right now, I only one two handguns. One is a Glock 17L and the other is a S&W J frame revolver.

Obviously, I won't be using the J frame for any competition. I love my G17L and have won a lot of local three gun matches using it, but I know when I start shooting more serious sanctioned matches, the 17L isn't legal for some events (IDPA comes to mind since it won't fit in the box).

I plan on shooting IDPA, IPSC, USPSA, GSSF, Steel Challenge, basically any match within easy driving distance of my home, and even a few matches that I'll be flying to.

What pistol would you guys recommend that would allow me to shoot in all the above organization's matches without being put into any open divisions? I don't want to go up against guys with super "decked out" custom pistols.

I really like shooting 9mm from my G17L, but something I'm unclear on is "making major power factor". What organizations does this come into play in, and it is possible with 9mm, or do I need a .40 or .45?

Soooo to sum all that rambling, I need a pistol that:

1. Will let me "make major" when necessary.

2. Allow me to shoot in all major competitive arenas without shooting against custom 1911s, race guns, etcs.

3. Has to fit in the IDPA box.

Thanks for any help!

I really like shooting 9mm from my G17L, but something I'm unclear on is "making major power factor". What organizations does this come into play in, and it is possible with 9mm, or do I need a .40 or .45?

Soooo to sum all that rambling, I need a pistol that:

1. Will let me "make major" when necessary.

2. Allow me to shoot in all major competitive arenas without shooting against custom 1911s, race guns, etcs.

3. Has to fit in the IDPA box.

Thanks for any help!

Major is possible in Open, Limited, L-10, Revolver and Single Stack. In all of those, you will be shooting against custom 1911s, race guns etc....well, except for Revolver ;) Only Open allows 9mm Major...well, I guess you could build an Open revolver in 9mm as well. The others require .40" as a minimum for Major.

That leaves you with Production where everything is scored Minor. If ammo cost is a factor, 9mm is the way to go. It's possible to load .40 a touch softer than 9mm at Minor levels, but it's not enough to even think about much less worry about.

The most popular Production guns are Glock 34/35s by a good margin. Second seems to be the Smith M&P. After that you've got XD's, CZs, Sigs, and a few others that are viable options. Edit to add: but only the Glocks would work for GSSF matches.

This is a good thread that talks about the kinds of things you're considering....might have to scroll through to find the posts on equipment, but it won't take long.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=913533

Edited by G-ManBart

G17L is illegal in USPSA Production, since USPSA Pro also has a box. A G17L would be legal in USPSA L/L-10, but you'd be competing with a safe-action gun in minor in a division where single-action major guns are allowed.

I think that .40 and above is the only caliber in any division (with the exception of open and revolver) that makes Major. Holding that statement true, a Glock 22 would be the most versatile gun for your criteria, since it meets all the dimensional restraints and can be safely and legally loaded to major or minor.

Edited by little_kahuna

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Am I correct in thinking that my G17L is legal in everything but IDPA?

Well--you can shoot it in USPSA, but not in Production. Limited, Limited 10, or Open. Minor in Limited and L10

Do you reload? If so get a G35 or G22. Your choice---whatever feels right. With it you can shoot:

Production. Download to minor. Minor 40 can be VERY soft and easy to shoot.

Limited 10. Load major, you can add a magwell and some other goodies if you want. 10 rds in the mag.

Limited. Major PF, load your mags all the way or even add some extensions.

Open. Major, ported/comped barrel, use a Carver mount and hang a dot on it.

I made B in Production, Limited and Open with the same G35, just different "accessories".

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Am I correct in thinking that my G17L is legal in everything but IDPA?

Well--you can shoot it in USPSA, but not in Production. Limited, Limited 10, or Open. Minor in Limited and L10

Do you reload? If so get a G35 or G22. Your choice---whatever feels right. With it you can shoot:

Production. Download to minor. Minor 40 can be VERY soft and easy to shoot.

Limited 10. Load major, you can add a magwell and some other goodies if you want. 10 rds in the mag.

Limited. Major PF, load your mags all the way or even add some extensions.

Open. Major, ported/comped barrel, use a Carver mount and hang a dot on it.

I made B in Production, Limited and Open with the same G35, just different "accessories".

I do indeed reload. There's no way I could afford my current 1-2k rounds per month addiction if I didn't!

It seems clear at this point that a .40 S&W or a .45ACP is what I should be looking at. I already have brass, dies, etc for .45ACP since I used to own a 1911. Any reason why I wouldn't go with a .45 instead of a .40?

Edited by Pro2AInPA

Any reason why I wouldn't go with a .45 instead of a .40?

Cost.

If you intend to shoot IPSC, Glock 34/35 is not legal for IPSC Production. I believe you have to figure out which division you want to shoot before you pick a gun. Since you want to drive to most of your matches, IPSC would probably not be on your list of matches (assuming you live in PA). So that might help you eliminate certain restrictions.

Any reason why I wouldn't go with a .45 instead of a .40?

Cost.

If you intend to shoot IPSC, Glock 34/35 is not legal for IPSC Production. I believe you have to figure out which division you want to shoot before you pick a gun. Since you want to drive to most of your matches, IPSC would probably not be on your list of matches (assuming you live in PA). So that might help you eliminate certain restrictions.

You're correct, I'd like to stay fairly close.

As far as cost difference between .40 and .45, since I reload, there hardly is any, especially since I load lead bullets.

I think that .40 and above is the only caliber in any division (with the exception of open) that makes Major. Holding that statement true, a Glock 22 would be the most versatile gun for your criteria, since it meets all the dimensional restraints and can be safely and legally loaded to major or minor.

Revolver also allows Major with .38/9mm (minimum .354").

I do indeed reload. There's no way I could afford my current 1-2k rounds per month addiction if I didn't!

It seems clear at this point that a .40 S&W or a .45ACP is what I should be looking at. I already have brass, dies, etc for .45ACP since I used to own a 1911. Any reason why I wouldn't go with a .45 instead of a .40?

If you do shoot any IPSC (as opposed to USPSA) you'll be giving up tons of mag capacity. R,

I think that .40 and above is the only caliber in any division (with the exception of open) that makes Major. Holding that statement true, a Glock 22 would be the most versatile gun for your criteria, since it meets all the dimensional restraints and can be safely and legally loaded to major or minor.

Revolver also allows Major with .38/9mm (minimum .354").

Corrected, thanks. :cheers:

If you do shoot any IPSC (as opposed to USPSA) you'll be giving up tons of mag capacity. R,

huh? please clarify.

IPSC production doesn't have a 10 round mag limit. 9mm mags of the same size hold more rounds than 40/45.

huh? please clarify.

IPSC production doesn't have a 10 round mag limit. 9mm mags of the same size hold more rounds than 40/45.

Actually, as of Jan 2010, there is a 15 round mag limit. So you will only lose 2 rounds shooting the Glock in .45 and none shooting the Glock .40.

Edited by racerba

huh? please clarify.

Actually, as of Jan 2010, there is a 15 round mag limit. So you will only lose 2 rounds shooting the Glock in .45 and none shooting the Glock .40.

I'd forgotten about the rule change, but I was also thinking about Modified. Then I realized they use a box and extended mags may not fit, so it could only be 2 rounds more than .45 if you stick with a .40. Still, I'd like those two extra rounds because it could let you get through two 8-round arrays without a reload...assuming it's worth the risk of running dry because of a make up shot. With the .45 you don't have the option even if you want to try. R,

• 2 weeks later...

Of the guns that you have mentioned, I would go witht he G35. It could be used in Production, limited and L10. WIth minor power factor reloads it is very tame and a lot of fun to shoot! It is also easy to get parts for and they are relatively cheap compared to others.....

"1. Will let me "make major" when necessary.

3. Has to fit in the IDPA box."

There isnt really an answer to those criteria, thats like asking for one car that will be competitive in all types of racing, a gun legal for one sport is going to put you at a disadvantage in another. If you are shooting a division that requires major powerfactor you are gonna be shooting against custom 1911/2011 raceguns, Since you own and like a Glock 9mm you can bounce the USPSA production rules against IDPA SSP and come up with a 5" Glock 9mm that will be competitive in both sports.

I would say the G35 also. You already reload so you can load down for production and it could be used with real dissadvantage in Limited - L10. The other advantage you have is that you are already comfortable with a Glock.