Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New reticle in a 1-4x24 scope

kgunz11

I did a little digging, and it is the Swaro line that carries the turret. It's called the ballistice turret, but unfortunately it is only offered on the higher magnification scopes. Could come in real useful if they could put it on their 1x6. I know the Burris catalog shows this option also. I just looked for it online and couldn't find it, but I know they offer it. Too tired to run upstairs and find the catalog. Getting old is bad....

Just curious, in looking at the documentation on Swaro's website, it appears that the turrets on the 2.5 and 1-6 are the same and in reading the documentation on the balistic turrents it appears they reference being *added on*.... Anyone know if they will work with the turrets on the Z6i?

Might be worth a call to Swaro... Now if they just included a stadia tree, the CD would be a perfect scope... (at least for me), now if I can just figure out how to finance one :)...

Alan

ps. thanks Tod for the info from AR15 on the pitbull... Soooo cloooosee, but soooo far away... darn it...

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a little digging, and it is the Swaro line that carries the turret. It's called the ballistice turret, but unfortunately it is only offered on the higher magnification scopes. Could come in real useful if they could put it on their 1x6. I know the Burris catalog shows this option also. I just looked for it online and couldn't find it, but I know they offer it. Too tired to run upstairs and find the catalog. Getting old is bad....

Just curious, in looking at the documentation on Swaro's website, it appears that the turrets on the 2.5 and 1-6 are the same and in reading the documentation on the balistic turrents it appears they reference being *added on*.... Anyone know if they will work with the turrets on the Z6i?

Might be worth a call to Swaro... Now if they just included a stadia tree, the CD would be a perfect scope... (at least for me), now if I can just figure out how to finance one :)...

Alan

ps. thanks Tod for the info from AR15 on the pitbull... Soooo cloooosee, but soooo far away... darn it...

Im curious about the ballistic turrets for the z6 1x6, so I will ask Swaro myself in a few weeks at SHOT. I'll post back once I get a answer.

SORRY it took so long, here is Tod's retical.(EDITED)

I like this one very much. The 300 yard post is a good compramise to a hash. This thing could get the job done for a lot of different people with different skill sets and environments.

RETTODLITTILLUM.jpg

Edited by SHELLFISH17

SORRY it took so long, here is Tod's retical.

I like this one very much. The 300 yard post is a good compramise to a hash. This thing could get the job done for a lot of different people with different skill sets and environments.

RET-TODLITT.jpg

Can we tweak that just a little... the horizontal lines I believe should be .5 moa thick, similar to the stadia tree lines? And I don't know if the vertical tabs on them are just for bracketing or are even required?

Thanks, this is looking really good now.!

Hey Tod, in a perfect world, what part would you want lit ( no wonder you have that last name :>)... just the dot or all the inside ring?

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

Alan....I sent Sheldon a different sketch than the one I posted. The one I posted I tweaked the line thicknesses a little.

He is gonna tweak it a bit and show it with just the dot illuminated. Assuming the dot could be made daylight visible....thats all I would want illuminated.

ETA: the tweaked one is above in SHELLFISH post.

Alan....I sent Sheldon a different sketch than the one I posted. The one I posted I tweaked the line thicknesses a little.

He is gonna tweak it a bit and show it with just the dot illuminated. Assuming the dot could be made daylight visible....thats all I would want illuminated.

ETA: the tweaked one is above in SHELLFISH post.

Hehe... yes, he and I were tweaking on your behalf... :)

Ok, I like this *a lot*! Guess let's let it simmer a bit and see what others have to say...

Alan

Tod, Alan, Sheldon,

I think your reticle is pretty much exactly what the consensus has been so far... Not surprisingly, it's pretty much the same as Erik's reticle, except the vertical stadia post extends up to the 300yd mark, the circle is bracketed, and the addition of the horizon lines outside of the circle. If the dot is bright in daylight, then I think this is will be the ticket! Put this in a nice optic with good knobs and I will buy it. :cheers:

Edited by Xfactor

What makes that any better than Eriks reticle? Erik is changing his dot to 2moa and working hard to get USO to daytime illuminate it.

I'm certainly no expert... but I do like the horizon lines and the bracket broken circle..

Here's Eriks from Chris' page...

USO%20scope%20reticle%201.jpg

USo%20scope%20reticle%202.jpg

USO%20scope%20reticle%203.jpg

USO%20scope%20reticle%204.jpg

Those are before the 2 moa dot adjustment, but it would seem that in CQB mode, with what you have proposed, you'd use the broken circle to bracket a target, and the Horizon lines just to help with scope leveling.

I certainly wouldn't want it any busier, and as I've mentioned a bunch of times, I have zero experience which makes my input useless.

However, if logic plays any part of this, it would seem the ideal scenario would be a bright dot in the center for shot placement, and some form of stadia to help with hold overs without the need to dial dope on the turrets. You could still do that of course, but I see no reason to have a vertical line above the dot, nor intersecting horizon lines.

One twist on this type of design would be to drop the 300yrd post on the stadia, shrink the broken circle to the size that would allow the broken gap at the bottom of it to be 300 yrd hold and keep it broken, then light both the dot and the broken circle as the Z6i does today.

Again, just thinking out loud. After all isn't that what this exercise was all about, see if we could come up with the *perfect* reticle - (objectively perfect that is :) ).

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

That does not represent Erik's reticle. Just showing how the stadia tree is designed to be used. Erik's reticle has a 60 moa outer circle(I think) that is 5moa thick.Much like my idea of the broken outer circle. His stadia tree is .3moa with no 300 yard aiming point.

The dot is being changed to a 2moa dot.

I need to search my emails and find his final drawing.

That does not represent Erik's reticle. Just showing how the stadia tree is designed to be used. Erik's reticle has a 60 moa outer circle(I think) that is 5moa thick.Much like my idea of the broken outer circle. His stadia tree is .3moa with no 300 yard aiming point.

The dot is being changed to a 2moa dot.

I need to search my emails and find his final drawing.

Well, let's get it up here as that is what suggested as Eriks on Chris' page

The current Erik Lund Reticle before the 2moa dot change

Ok, so might be nice to have shellfish7 build a corrected version...

Basic difference between yours and his.

a) you spec'd a broken circle at 55 moa - Erik's is solid

B) you spec'd horizon lines - Erik's has none

Is one better than that other... I don't know? We need an A/B that are similar in design so people can get a feel for what it would look like looking down the tube...

Last challenge to all of this, if the reticle is going to be in the rear focal plane, then the glass has to be *extremely good* to remove the aborations that can exist as a result of the reticle being there. So Cheap scopes with cheap glass if they implemented such a reticle, wouldn't be nearly as good as even moving it to the front focal plane (with it's own set of challenges there).

Course this whole discussion could be in vain, if a) no-one is interested in implementing a reticle like this and B) if they won't daylight light the dot...

more .05,

Alan

Erik's outer circle in the actual scope is 5 moa thick. I wanted mine to be a little thinner than his and only large enough to encompass the BDC. More like 2.5-3moa. Shellfish's drawings are not to scale so it makes comparison a bit more difficult. But it allows us to publish visual ideas.

Erik's reticle is currently in design and he has been T&Eing the reticle in competition for the past 6 months with great success.

I have used it and really like it.

He is undergoing a slight redesign,so now is a good time to voice concerns. Making one reticle that tickles everyones fancy is next to impossible. The perfect reticle is too subjective.

This reticle will be in the Rear Focal Plane. There is no need for a front focal plane reticle in a low power optic.

Erik has a face to face meeting with John Williams of USO at SHOT.

But this discussion is good for all.

I made a call to Swarovski this am to see about the Ballistic turrets.

I think I just got some typical customer service dweeb tho. When asked, the answers were too quick and without any thought.

Guess that's one for the Shot show too... hmm, I wonder how cheap tickets to vegas can be had for :)... getting in is easy, my brothers a dealer in utah :)...

Alan

I think I just got some typical customer service dweeb tho. When asked, the answers were too quick and without any thought.

Guess that's one for the Shot show too... hmm, I wonder how cheap tickets to vegas can be had for :)... getting in is easy, my brothers a dealer in utah :)...

Alan

You might want to leave that to someone with a little more experience on the subject.

I know Erik and Cold will be there. And they definitely have our interests within this discussion at mind.

Alan

You might want to leave that to someone with a little more experience on the subject.

I know Erik and Cold will be there. And they definitely have our interests within this discussion at mind.

sheesh, that was a cold slap in the face... ;)... no worries, was just thinking out side the box...

Alan

Alan....put some ice on it.....the sting only lasts for a second :P

I've also been down that road with Swarovski on the phone and at SHOT last year about the turrets. They are not available on the 1-6 nor retrofittable. And they say they were not interested in the idea either at that time.

It is on Cold's agenda to drop by and see them again this year and see if their position may have shifted some.