Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 ACP

Corey

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Advice Sought:

I've been reloading for a couple of years. Only 45 ACP and with W231. I load a 200 Gr LSWC over 5.6 Gr of W231 to 1.255 OAL and taper to .469-.471.

This give me 870 fps typically as an average and makes PF for major.

I find w231 incredibly dirty. Is this a characteristic of the powder or am I loading too hot or too light?

Thanks for the advice.

RMD

Advice Sought:

I've been reloading for a couple of years. Only 45 ACP and with W231. I load a 200 Gr LSWC over 5.6 Gr of W231 to 1.255 OAL and taper to .469-.471.

I find w231 incredibly dirty. Is this a characteristic of the powder or am I loading too hot or too light?

Thanks for the advice.

RMD

Im not sure how close that is to max charge, but bump it a 10th or two if you have room and see if it cleans up. If not, try Clays or Solo 1K. I doubt any lead load will be "clean" though.

Clays and Solo 1000 in 200gr LSWC and 230 LRN seem to be fairly clean for me. Ive only tested about 20 rounds of w231 and didnt make notes on the cleanliness because it was freakin cold, and they were too light or my gun lube was frozen. :roflol:

I don't shoot much .45 anymore since gaining a couple springer .40s for Single Stack. My load for .45 though is a 200 LSWC over 4.3 grains of clays at around 1.245 OAL Winchester primers. I've also used 230 LRN with 4.0 Clays as well. In my mind its hard to beat Clays in a .45. Its soft and cheap and usually readily available.

Advice Sought:

Thanks for the advice.

RMD

That is the exact same load I started with and the exact same reason I changed to a 230gr moly & WST since moved to Solo 1000 as less smoky.

You owe it to yourself to get at least 1lb of N310. Trust me.

If you dont mind me asking, why N310 over 320, 330 or 340? pros it has over the others?

It's cool, clean, and fast. Very soft recoil.

That's why i use N310 in .45acp and .45GAP (... i am a Revolver Shooter ...) but the loads i can read in this post are similar.

Advice Sought:

Thanks for the advice.

RMD

Thanks gents for the responses and advice.

Merry Christmas to all.

RMD

A62335:

RE VV N310, what is your pet load under 200gr plated round nose in 45acp?

and also for 230 gr, plated and/or FMJ?

I also understand that Wilson Combat uses N310 for their test targets, but I don't know what loading is used. I'd also be interested in knowing they've actually worked up - reportedly very accurate!

Thanks for your response.

OAL 2.50

VV 310 4.0 Precision Delta 230FMJ Starline S&W 625 H 750 L 715 ES 34 SD 13 A 733 PF 168.7

if I were to load more I would go to 4.1 because I like lows above PF.

VV max is 4.2

Everything seems consistent with data that I've seen from others.

However the stated oal seems questionable; still talking 45 acp in a revo here?

Thanks, LeRoy.

A62335:

RE VV N310, what is your pet load under 200gr plated round nose in 45acp?

and also for 230 gr, plated and/or FMJ?

I also understand that Wilson Combat uses N310 for their test targets, but I don't know what loading is used. I'd also be interested in knowing they've actually worked up - reportedly very accurate!

Thanks for your response.

I run 4.5 gr of N310 under a 200gr LSWC. This is the same exact load Wilson uses to test their guns. It is way more accurate than I am, and it is soft. I don't shoot plated or jacketed bullets. OAL is 1.250 with just enough crimp to remove the bell.

OAL 1.250

VV 310 4.0 Precision Delta 230FMJ Starline S&W 625 H 750 L 715 ES 34 SD 13 A 733 PF 168.7

if I were to load more I would go to 4.1 because I like lows above PF.

VV max is 4.2

Everything seems consistent with data that I've seen from others.

However the stated oal seems questionable; still talking 45 acp in a revo here?

Thanks, LeRoy.

Thanks for the catch should have been 1.250 went back and corrected it.

Thanks to A62335. I had heard that G&A or one of the gun rags did an article awhile ago on loading for the 45acp and it included the Wilson loading. I'd love to see that data too, but to date I've not yet been able to track it down.

Thanks for clarifying, LeRoy. How long have you been using the Precision Delta bullets?

I will be making up some loads with the VV N310 - already have a # on the loading shelf.

cascade, I really don't know how long I have been using the Precision's, I went to them when a moly company in Wash went out of business and I've gone through 8,000 with 4,000 on the shelf. Tom Drazy bought the equipment from the other company and started Black Bullets International which I like better because of the nose shape. The Precision 230gr RNFP has a longer body to the start of the ogive and requires deeper seating. Even with the melting pictures I get less residue with the BBI moly than Precision which may be a difference between flat base and concave base as mentioned by another poster. The Precision are not as friendly since I switched over to a revo and BBI is a pointer RN than anything else I have tried.

RFE dropped a couple words.

Edited by LPatterson

4.5 Clays

200gr Midstates LRN

1.230 OAL

5in Barrel

Average Vel. 794.2 PF 158.8

I'm using fed large primers and they are looking pretty flattened. I'm worried about adding powder. I regularly use fed. primers for revo. I was wondering, because they are more sensitive, do they usually flatten out more?

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

im reviving my thread for a couple reasons. Id like to see a few more loads from people jst for the fun of it.

Also, for those who use Clays...What powder measure are you using. After my recent run-in with Clays over the last week or so, I cant get it to meter well AT ALL in my RCBS Uniflow. i have to make tons of huge adjustments to get the charges where i need them.

Id like to be able to shoot mroe of it and give it a real test (conditions weren't the best for chrono'ing) as it seems to be very popular and it is one of the powders I can get a discount on (dont ask, i just can B))

Edited by Corey

4.5 Clays

200gr Midstates LRN

1.230 OAL

5in Barrel

Average Vel. 794.2 PF 158.8

I'm using fed large primers and they are looking pretty flattened. I'm worried about adding powder. I regularly use fed. primers for revo. I was wondering, because they are more sensitive, do they usually flatten out more?

Rick

Hogdon book max charge for Clays is 4.3 for 200g bullet. You may have a barrel that won't make major with this powder. I would not load higher than you have since you are 0.2 gr over max. My 4.4" Sig 220 barely makes 165 pf with 4.3 grains. Try a different chronographing of 4.3 grains.

Clays in a Dillon powder measure with a fish tank aerator strapped on.

Wow. Fish tank aerator? My 650 meters Clays great. I've used both N320 and Clays. Different guns, different powders. My Wilson CQB likes N320. My STI Sentinal won't even come close to making PF with the load the Wilson has no problem making power with, so I use Clays in it. I've really come to the conclusion that Clays is the best for me and that's considering I use VV for everything else I shoot.

Terry

I can NOT get Clays to meter well in the least bit through my Uniflow Id love to try more of it, but need to figure out a way to get consistant loads. currently working on some TG loads as it meters very well for me and is pretty available. will repost with more results (need something warmer than 25 degrees to chrono)