Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody here into the .408 CheyTac or the .416 Barret

Chills1994

Midway sells both brass from Jamison and bullets for the 408.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?prod...mber=2205468012

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=514182

Also scroll down here

http://www.knesekguns.com/price.php?pricelist=5

The 408 Chey Tac is an awesome round to shoot. Spent 3 days out at Arco, Id shooting it last year. Shot out to 2000 yards as the 2500 yard target got knocked down a few weeks prior. Very easy to get hits at 2000 yards. We were shooting on a target that was about MOA sie and hammering it. Shot close to 900 rounds between me and my team mate Tony and were very impressed with the 408.

One day when we were up there a couple guys came up with a 416 and they couldn't hit as easily as we could. Rifle just didn't seem as accurate at distance. If it was me I would take the 408 over the 416.

Edited to add some pics

Getting ammo ready

P6220061.jpg

M200

P1010610.jpg

Video of M310, now known as the LER, showing how light the recoil is with the brake

th_P1010666.jpg

Where we were shooting

P1010661.jpg

P1010663.jpg

Edited by Rob01

Hey Rob, Why do you put your targets so close? You have another entire hill behind the one you were shooting at!! You could at least double your distance!!:surprise: Just kidding, I am jelous though. I wish I had that kind of distance close to here. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! I don't know a lot about the rounds and rifles you were shooting. If you ever get a couple minutes, you should tell us a little about them, and the optics and stuff.

Believe me Steve we tried. We were picking out rock faces and with the military grade laser we had no problem hitting out to around 5000 yards with the laser but the group was wet and we tried some close to 3000 yard shots but couldn't see splash to correct. If we could have seen them we might have been able to make hits as 2000 was a cake walk. The closest target was at 800 yards and that was like shooting a .308 at 200.

We were using two types of rifles. The M200, which was the same type of rifle used in the movie "Shooter", but we didn't have any Dinty Moore cans to shoot LOL Also the M310, which is a lighter weight and more affordable of the two. Still makes the hits though. You can see info on them at Chey Tac's site www.cheytac.com The M310 is now known as the LER

Scopes were all Nightforce 5.5-22x56 with NPr2 reticles. Had no problems seeing the targets with the NF optics. I use them on my match rifle too and love them. We were using a US Optics spotter and the CheyTac ballistic calculator which was right on and easy to use.

Plenty of info on the 408 CheyTac round on the net but here's a pic of the 408 next to a 300WM, .308, 6.5 Creedmoor , 9mm and a 22lr to give you a perspective of the size.

PB050393.jpg

Rob....900 rounds!!!!!! what does a round of .408 cost....loaded MATCH? (I know you posted the links, but it's more of a statement) :D

and what is the ballistic data on that?

very impressive!!

I am not much of a rifle shooter....just don't have the $$$ right now....but I can respect what you guys are doing....!!!!!! *thumbs up*

Rob....900 rounds!!!!!! what does a round of .408 cost....loaded MATCH? (I know you posted the links, but it's more of a statement) :D

very impressive!!

I am not much of a rifle shooter....just don't have the $$$ right now....but I can respect what you guys are doing....!!!!!! *thumbs up*

Yeah that was between the two of us over the 3 days. I believe loaded ammo is about $5 a round. Good thing we weren't paying for it ;)

Here's the specs on the 408 round

http://www.cheytac.com/WhitePapers/408%20a...heet%201-06.pdf

No need to hop into a CheyTac. Get a good .308 factory rifle like a Remington or Savage and you'll be good out to 1000. Or even a used custom if you have the money. Can get into other calibers that way too. Long range rifles are a blast to shoot. Nothing like pulling the trigger and hearing the steel clang at 1000 yards.

Hump ammo cans? That's what the trucks were for LOL

The Chey Tac is an awesome rifle. I'd take one any day over a .50. We had a M82A1 up there one day as well and it was much easier to get the CheyTac on target than the .50.

The Chey Tac is an awesome rifle. I'd take one any day over a .50. We had a M82A1 up there one day as well and it was much easier to get the CheyTac on target than the .50.

Yes the CheyTac is a good ELR rifle. Much better then the M82A1.

Hey Rob, welcome to the BE. B)

very impressive!!

Yeah that was between the two of us over the 3 days. I believe loaded ammo is about $5 a round. Good thing we weren't paying for it ;)

Here's the specs on the 408 round

http://www.cheytac.com/WhitePapers/408%20a...heet%201-06.pdf

No need to hop into a CheyTac. Get a good .308 factory rifle like a Remington or Savage and you'll be good out to 1000. Or even a used custom if you have the money. Can get into other calibers that way too. Long range rifles are a blast to shoot. Nothing like pulling the trigger and hearing the steel clang at 1000 yards.

that's an impressive little spending spree for 3 days :wub:

I def. wouldn't get a CheyTac, at any point....it's just not something I need....it's still awesome what you guys are doing though....

I have a few metric caliber rifles, and other long guns.....but the item high on my list is a rem. 700 in .308....always wanted one of those....seems like the most logical and versatile long gun I could hope to own....excellent pedigree as well....when I find the right one (used) at the right price.....I will take the plunge....I know that would be a fun action to customize....would also love to have a AR-30 in .338 Lapua, but now my head is in the clouds :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Look on Wikipedia under .408 cheytac and you will actually see good info on the parent case and some other details. When Cheytac started they very closely controlled the retail sale of ammo and components. I believe in the beginning there was only one licensed source.

Unconfirmed reports and rumors state that the business has gone under. Other posts around this forum discuss that the phones are going unanswered and that emails are not returned. Sounds fishy.

Ref the 1050, not sure but I think the round is too big for that apllication. The performance of the round is unreal, but really it's a narrow narrow market.

You question is a valid one, but it may have been better to start a new thread about it, than to tag onto a thread thats two years old.

Nah...we'd rather shooters ask questions on existing threads. As long as the Q&A is relevant (and it is), it keeps the info in one place...easier to find.

- Admin.