Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does this seem like a perfectly good waste of 9mm brass?

Chills1994

FWIW...

- he is using ~$145 worth of dies (not Corbin) *maybe just $90 for making 40cal*

- he gets pure lead for free, or close to it, it seems

- he has a cheap brass source "All the brass I could ever need to make or reload bullets with I have obtained from trading custom bullets."

- Lee pot & 6 cavity mold (still inexpensive)

- accuracy seems to meet his needs

- he weighs the brass (and notes a variance in brass of up to 10g). I think he sorts.

For those the might want to read the actual threads:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=70121

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum...ic,25448.0.html

I would be worried less about weight and more about wall thickness and inconsistencies in the brass....a jacket separating in the barrel would be bad.....but to be fair...the pressure generated does "bond" the jacket/core....but if there was even a slight crack or thin spot....it really could lead to trouble....

also what are the long term wear problems with a brass jacket? are montana golds a brass jacket?? I just as soon stick to hard cast lead...I see no benefit to jacketed bullets....UNLESS you are shooting HV or a comp. gun

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, yeah, I know you can get core moulds, but my theory is this....

unless it is some special rifle bullet that requires a jacket...if you are already casting a core, then why not just castthe entire bullet, already, and be done with it?

As far as the el cheapo beer can gas checks thing goes...that's a cast boolit into a rifle thing, mostly done to either ramp up the velocity or increase the accuracy or both. I guess it does keep down the leading too.

slight thread drift ahead... there is a guy on YouTube who posted his video of reloading steel cased ammo for his AR and his AK.

I think that was probably done more out of spite or ego when one guy told another guy, "Hey, you can't reload steel cased ammo?"

He suggests a Rock Chucker would work. I gave one of those away on a long-term loan.

Read the threads. It might not be for everybody, but neither is casting...or buying a 1050.

Sometimes it's the journey, the challenge and the learning. (Raise your hand if you make a great living at competition shooting.)

Some people do things that is futile to others but they get their kicks doing it. Take fellow BE member abn-rgr, he likes scrap booking and making CHRISTmas ornaments out of old wrapping paper & foil. Its not my thing but whatever. In benchrest they do things that seem ridiculous & un-necessary, but they have been the proving ground for the ultimate in accuracy. I think many people are keying in on the "sniper" part & I agree, its a cool job everybody wants but few people actually have. He has invited criticism to himself to some degree in that aspect. As far as his personal safety & possible firearm issues... who cares, its America & his persuit of happiness.

Oh, yeah, I know you can get core moulds, but my theory is this....

unless it is some special rifle bullet that requires a jacket...if you are already casting a core, then why not just castthe entire bullet, already, and be done with it?

that's exactly what I said about 3 posts ago....I just see no benefit to jacketed bullets...UNLESS, you are shooting HV or compensated pistols....

AriM wrote:

new corbin press is more like $1200

:surprise:

:wacko:

:mellow:

:unsure:

:blink:

Yeah, RufDog... I hear ya...but...but..but that's $1,200 that could be used towards an STI Limited gun.

Seriously, though, I do get what you are saying. Just recently there was knock against us USPSA'ers putting C-mores on our open guns...by some mall ninja-ish person. So different strokes for different folks...

He suggests a Rock Chucker would work. I gave one of those away on a long-term loan.

Read the threads. It might not be for everybody, but neither is casting...or buying a 1050.

Sometimes it's the journey, the challenge and the learning. (Raise your hand if you make a great living at competition shooting.)

been down that road....even a good O-frame single stage will not last under the pressures required for forming jackets out of harder materials....the threads in the handle will strip or the base mount will break....been there....

and I can't see why a 1050 would be stepping out on a limb for anyone....just the fact that it swages primer pockets and primes on the downstroke (which let's you set seating depth) is reason enough to get one....even if you don't shoot 4k round a month....if I had the $$ I would def. get a 1050....

same goes for casting...I think at some point all of us will start casting...it's not just saving money....you can cast a projectile that is a perfect match to your barrel, and then lube it with a lube that is perfect for your shooting conditions....those seem like very fruitful investments...

let me make an offer to you guys....if enough of you are interested....and are willing to cover my costs....I will buy the necessary tools to make some custom jacketed bullets for you....not for profit, but just to see if it really is worth it at the end of the day....my money says it isn't, but maybe I am wrong....

slug your barrel and then mail me the slug....I will cast and form an exact match....I think once you see the benefits of that method, you will want to start doing it yourself....the jacketed thing only makes sense for compensated pistols though....

I am not asking you guys to blindly trust me, just take my advice...that I have been down this road....and the benefits are NIL

the benefits of a bullet cast for your bore are worthwhile though

I just don't recognize your posts any more, AriM...with the Bob Ross painting pistols and everything.

:roflol:

It sounds to me like you had really researched at some point.

yeah, like we talked about before....I am really considering getting into manufacturing projectiles....I can make some damn good ammo....I don't know a hell of a lot about competition and shooting USPSA/idpa/IPSC etc.....but one thing I do know is ammunition....I have put hundreds, if not thousands of hours into development and research....there are things that make sense, and things that just yeild no benefit....in fact jacketed bullets not only cost more and have very little performance gain (in un-compensated guns), they wear your expensive barrel out faster....that is a HUGE minus for me....

EDIT : one odd thing I have noticed...and I have no proof or data to back this up.....hollow points do seem to be more accurate....that's just my experience....I can't back it up with any data....sorry i wish I could...

Edited by AriM

I think you will find that there are quite a few here that know what it takes to wear out a pistol barrel. ;)

We would like to hear your experience. Please start a new/dedicated thread and tell us the circumstances of the pistol barrels that you have worn out.

I think you will find that there are quite a few here that know what it takes to wear out a pistol barrel. ;)

We would like to hear your experience. Please start a new/dedicated thread and tell us the circumstances of the pistol barrels that you have worn out.

Flex....are you being serious?? Do I have to start a new thread to ask if jacketed bullets wear out a barrel faster than lead??

yer pulling my leg right?

Flex

I'm glad that you posted the Boolits thread.

I'm a boolets head,,,, over their too.

I have cast boolits for years, swaging, is yet another world of re-loading. I have not gone into that world yet,,, it is a big cash layout, and I don't have time, either.

I shoot 3 Gun, cast bullets are fine, for the pistol.

But in the hunting world let’s say hog hunting, that swaged bullet made from a 9mm case,,, would be a good bullet.

Penetration,,,, is needed,,, more than just putting holes in paper, and popping a steel plate.

Other things you can do swedging, is make bullets with a serrated tip. if you’re a bowling pin shooter, you might like those bullets too,,, they dig in to the pin,, and resist the bullet glancing off/ roll off of the pin, At least that is what a Pin shooter once told me.

For most competition shooting,,, yes I would say a waste of 9mm brass,,

But swedging opens up a new world of custom bullet making. Pushing the envelop

Competitors, Gun people, We are always looking for that (Silver bullet)

IF this bullet improved your shooting 10% you would be on his door step with cash and you know it.

Jim M ammo

Im thinkin...someday, being able to make bullets from stuff lying around ....may become an important thing :closedeyes:

We could beat the rush...by starting to steal tire weights off of parked cars :roflol:

Jim :P

PS....Ari, is that you and your dog?

Jim

Jim,

It's a random picture I found on google images, when I typed in the keywords "gay pitbull".....read a little bit earlier in the thread....I thought it might be good for a laugh....

I like your idea about stealing wheel weights....that never even crossed my mind :ph34r:

I am in total agreement that making stuff from "junk" is cool....but the problem with swaged bullets, is that you have to start with a lead core anyhow.....since there is no benefit to jacketed bullets in un-compensated pistols (under 1700fps)....I just can't see the point, but that's just me I guess

do you cast Jim?

Ari M.

Flex....are you being serious?? Do I have to start a new thread to ask if jacketed bullets wear out a barrel faster than lead??

I asked that you share the specifics of the circumstances that you wore out pistol barrels with. Your bullet, powder, load, primer, velocity, round count...etc.

I asked that you share the specifics of the circumstances that you wore out pistol barrels with. Your bullet, powder, load, primer, velocity, round count...etc.

Wore out an SA (dunno who makes their barrels) barrel in my 1911, after about 6000 rounds of factory hardball....couldn't give you an exact velocity....never bothered to chrono. any of it....so as far as I can guess

45 automatic

230 grain RN

powder : unknown

primer : winchester (I assume)

the barrel got to a point where it wouldn't even group from 5 yards away...and visually there was almost NO definition between the lands and grooves

been shooting lead ever since....probably have tens of thousands of rounds through various barrels...they show signs of wear, but it's certainly better than the FMJ was...do you really think anyone would care if I did a more in-depth analysis?

I would be happy to start a topic and dedicate it to my experience and other peoples....I could post some pictures, but I just assumed that it was pretty common knowledge that jacketed bullets will nuke a barrel faster than lead....it's one of the reasons that I said I can't see one good thing about jacketed projectiles in un-compensated pistols (shooting under 1700fps.)

:unsure:

either way I still :wub: you man

Edited by AriM

I would be dead keen to do something like that, I just don't have the time.

It would be so interesting from the perspective of learning about the bullets. The more you know about shooting the better.

I have all sorts of projects that did not make sense to a lot of people. They all worked in the end, not neccessarily to the degree that I anticipated, but we always got something positive out of them, even the 8lb 458x2" subsonic rifle!!!!

I would be dead keen to do something like that, I just don't have the time.

It would be so interesting from the perspective of learning about the bullets. The more you know about shooting the better.

I have all sorts of projects that did not make sense to a lot of people. They all worked in the end, not neccessarily to the degree that I anticipated, but we always got something positive out of them, even the 8lb 458x2" subsonic rifle!!!!

That guy (our bullet maker in question) has a nice a cool sig line...

"When you stop learning you are dying."