Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Cartridges

Neil Beverley

I have two queries that I would like some help with please. I'm sure there's a wealth of information out there amongst the members on these forums.

The first relates to what various countries call the sealing process for shotgun cartridges. In the UK we generally refer to "Taper Crimp" - which is mostly birdshot cartridges and "Roll Crimp" - which is mostly buckshot and slugs. Are these commonly used terms?

The second request is an attempt to gather data relating to the overall unfired length of cartridges. I would like to discover the length of as many makes of cartridges as possible. Primarily I'm interested in 2 3/4" (70mm) cartridges but any other cartridge information submitted will be recorded in a data list that I will start.

I expect to find that most 2 3/4" cartridges are around 2.24" (57mm) unfired length for taper crimp and around 2.44" (62mm) for roll crimp.

Please note in the figures above I've quoted the figures in inches to 2 decimal places and I would like to get information to this degree of accuracy. For millimetres to 1 decimal place if possible please.

Many thanks.