Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the SP-01 Shadow legal for NRA AP Production?

DWFAN

Any one else see the irony in folks having to modify a production gun in order for it to be legal for Production Class? For a class that's supposed to be "grassroots" other than those who are existing active competition shooters, how many folks know how to safely remove the single action notch on their gun? If not, how much do gunsmiths charge to do it? Will this now become just an accepted cost of competing in Production Class?

I completely agree the rules could be a little more specific without having an approved or not approved list of guns.

Definitely, but this is only the second run with Production Rules for AP. I think it will come. The big issue is the huge variety of handguns available and accessories just pour out of little workshops all over the place.

I personally think they should ahve gone with a combination of either USPSA or IPSC Prod rules and allowable guns. Seeing as it NRA AP and the BC is the US nationals then USPSA woudl have been best.

BUT, that has turned into an equipment race and the holsters are essentially open gun holsters. All sorts of mods and additions can be made to your firearm.

IPSC is a bit more stringent, but only those in the know can get certain parts for this and that or informtion is only available to a select few.

I think for now, they are on the right track, modifications will come. Suggestions are going to be welcome, not all will be listened to and or acted upon, but it will get better.

IPSC and USPA Production have been goinmg for some time. It was a little bit of a steep learning curve at teh beginning and they still have issue every time someone pulls a new gun into the game.

• 1 month later...

If rule 3.2.1 still has this wording :The firearm shall have no visible internal or external modifications except as follows:How can you remove the single action notch in a production revolver?

Where is the rule in writing?

Tom

Edited by 9146gt

If rule 3.2.1 still has this wording :The firearm shall have no visible internal or external modifications except as follows:How can you remove the single action notch in a production revolver?

Where is the rule in writing?

Tom

How is the single action notch visible? I'm not letting a ham-handed referee take off my sideplate to take a look unless he buys it before he boogers up the screws and bends the sideplate.