Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TaurusPT101 FTF out of battery problem

My new taurus PT101 40 S&W occasionally ( 2 or 3 out of 75 rounds ) has a FTF due to an out of

battery condition. The slide will not close all the way, and the cartridge is about 2/3 in the chamber.. but straight. A

tap on the slide closes it. It has happened with PMC bronze 165 grn, American eagle 165grn, and Federal Premium 180 grn.

The customer service person advised me to stick with 180 grn cartridges.

The gun has had 125 total rounds fired.

I can duplicate the condition by manually cycling the slide by pulling it back sharply and releasing the slide with a loaded

magazine.

I cannot find any obvious defects. The breech face has an odd half circle pattern that transects the firing pin hole that

I've never seen on my other pistols, but may be normal for this design.

I focused on a strong grip, so I don't think it was a limp wrist issue.

Should I consider this part of the break in period?

Thanks

My new taurus PT101 40 S&W occasionally ( 2 or 3 out of 75 rounds ) has a FTF due to an out of

battery condition. The slide will not close all the way, and the cartridge is about 2/3 in the chamber.. but straight. A

tap on the slide closes it. It has happened with PMC bronze 165 grn, American eagle 165grn, and Federal Premium 180 grn.

The customer service person advised me to stick with 180 grn cartridges.

The gun has had 125 total rounds fired.

I can duplicate the condition by manually cycling the slide by pulling it back sharply and releasing the slide with a loaded

magazine.

I cannot find any obvious defects. The breech face has an odd half circle pattern that transects the firing pin hole that

I've never seen on my other pistols, but may be normal for this design.

I focused on a strong grip, so I don't think it was a limp wrist issue.

Should I consider this part of the break in period?

Thanks

I've attached a photo of the bolt or breech face. I think the edge of the rim of some cartridges are snagging on the step of the ridge cut into

the face of the bolt. As anyone ever seen anyhting like this? My other autos have very smooth faces.

post-22228-1260532299_thumb.jpg

post-22228-1260532346_thumb.jpg

Edited by Babbitslinger

Clean it thoroughly, and see if it still happens. I have a Springfield Trophy Match in .45 that, when new, would FTF every 3rd magazine or so after about 50 rounds. Cleaned it good, it goes away, just shoot the crap out of it to break it in. What I did was take a dremel tool with the wool tip (nothing but the tip, no polish or anything) and buff the bolt face and chamber.

• 1 month later...