Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge Questions

mildot1

Well maybe I'm stupid, but can anyone explain to me why I would want to enter a state or area steel match and have to compete against high level shooters??

I shot the S&W Steel Challenge Nationals in Titusville, FL last year. It was my 1st try at the sport.

I came in 106th overall, but was 1st in IDPA ESP Senior and Military clases and 1st in Rimfire Iron sight Senior.

The prize table was so big that I won $300+ in prizes and also won a S&W Performance Center 327 revolver in a drawing.

That ain't bad.

This year I'll be shooting my tricked-out CZ75 SA with a dot sight, the S&W 327 8-shooter and my custom Ruger 22/45. I expect to have a great time, win more in prizes than I paid in entry fees and not be concerned that I get my butt kicked by the shooters from the AMU and Team S&W.

• 1 month later...

Everyone has a bad day, never know you may have a great day and smoke someone. I also look at it this way, I shoot against myself. Keep pushing myself and hey if I happen to beat some great people, added bonus.

Go and have fun, don't stress over the GM's or others shooting before you. If you do worry about how you stand up to them, you will most likely stress yourself out and chock. Go out and have fun.

JMHO but if the question is strictly what will bring more folks into the sport the answer is classes. As a general rule people who come to a competitive sport are, well, competitive. I think we are more likely to get the hook set if there is at least a novice and expert division of classes. It can be pretty intimidating and disappointing to come out and only see that you shot 29% of the overall winner's score. (Don't ask how I know.) Once they shoot this enough they will either stay or decide this isn't their sport but rarely due to the presence or absence of classes. The key is to get folks to stay in this long enough to get a basic proficiency and that will be harder if they are getting crushed every match.

Classes viewed from the perspective of those of us who are already mainlining this sport is an entirely different question to me.

How can I get started in Steel shooting? I live in SW Michigan. There are no local clubs active in Steel shooting that I know of.

South Kent Sportsman's in Dorr and Coloma Rod and Gun in St. Joseph are Steel Challenge affiliated clubs. Livingston Gun Club is probably too far away, but they shoot SC as well. R,

I just shot (today) my first US Steel Challenge match: the National Championship at Titusville, FL. Very smooth, efficient match, lots of fun to shoot, and a chance to watch and shoot against a lot of the best shooters in the country (that means in the world, right?). I came in 100th (gun) but was probably the 70th person to the prize table since a lot of those folks shot more than one gun/division (Limited/Open) and so beat me more than once. I grabbed a prize that equaled my match fee and hotel room cost combined, thanked the match director for an awesome time, and vowed to come back next year.

Was I a bit put off at first to know that as a C Class shooter I would be running against the best there is? Sure. But isn't that always the case (at some level) anyway? My recommendation is that you try it before suggesting ways to change it: I think you will enjoy it and want to do it a again.