Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dirty chamber issues

ParaGunner

I am having some issues with my chamber getting dirty with what I think is lead or the lube and causing failures to go completely into battery. I am shooting a 45acp 230grn lead tcfp with 5.3grains of Win 231powder and Win primers with mixed brass. They are being loaded on a Dillion 650. I forget right now of what brand bullets they are, but I will find out. I use a Dillion 45 case gauge to check them all and they all pass easily falling in and out of the case gauge. I previously shot 200grn lead rn bullets and never had this problem,they were a different manufacturer. I'm starting to think it's the new bullets I'm using or the lube on them.

After shooting a Idpa match this last Sunday and having 4-5 jams out of only 70 rounds I'm looking for answers. After shooting I took the barrel out( 1911 barrel) and inspected the chamber which had lead or lube caked inside. I took some of the rounds and they would not seat all the way in without forcing them in. After cleaning the chamber they drop right in and fall right out too. Also, during matches when I unload and show clear I am struggling to pull the slide back to show clear like the round is stuck in the dirty chamber. Is it the bullets causing my headache? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You might want to try a different brand bullet. A hard cast slug should not lead the chamber like that. I use 5.4 231 with a 200 SWC to make 170 power factor in my 5" 1911 and do not see lead in the chamber to any serious extent for several hundred rounds. The other factor is OAL. Some 1911 barrels are sensitive more than others. With a clean chamber, drop in a loaded round and hold up the barrel so you can sight across the back of the barrel hood. If the case is not even with or a little below that hood you will have problems.

The overall lenth of my rounds are 1.23" and with a clean chamber they are flush with the hood of the barrel. I am getting these bullets dirt cheap and have thought about FMJ but it's way more $$

JThompson-are you saying to use one shot lube on top of the lube that's already on the bullet?

I am no expert but, have you checked the diameter of the bullets to see if with the lube coating they are larger than the old bullets you were shooting? I would think this may have an impact especially if you have a tight chamber/barrel.

Just throwing it out there to try and help. B)

I am no expert but, have you checked the diameter of the bullets to see if with the lube coating they are larger than the old bullets you were shooting? I would think this may have an impact especially if you have a tight chamber/barrel.

I shot all of my old bullets up and forgot the diameter. :unsure:

Maybe try a different powder(Solo 1000?, WST?) with the lead bullets or better yet go with FMJ bullets. ;)

BK

Are these powders cleaner burning than 231?

I really don't know but a lot of people use a different powder for lead bullets. I can tell you that Titegroup is cleaner than 231 but not recommended for lead bullets due to the smoke and leading. I use FMJ bullets. Do a search in the reloading section could find a good answer there as to what powder to use for lead bullets.

hope that helps

BK

231 should not be giving you problems. It was very popular with lead bullets in .45ACP for many years.

Yeah, I have been using 231 ever since I started reloading and I switched to this manufacturers bullet and now I am having problems. I am starting to think it's the bullet or the blue lube on the bullet.

I shot all of my old bullets up and forgot the diameter. :unsure:

In that case just check the diameter of the ones you have and make sure they are "in spec" for a .45 and that you are not shaving off coating or lead as they feed into the chamber. Your Calipers should be able to get that measurement to compare to what your reloading guides say is the norm.

Here is what I would do to check the gun chamber but some others that have more experience and knowledge may have a better suggestion. ;)

Take a mag of bullets and rack the slide and feed them through the gun. After about 10 or 20 of them I would think you should be able to see if there is "gunk" in the chamber if it is the bullet or coating that is doing it. If there is gunk on the feed ramp when this happens I would think that would be an indicator of the bullet construction being the issue and not powder since you have not fired any bullets so no powder has burned.

The idea makes sense to me but some of the *real* gunsmiths on here may have a better way to check it :D

Edited by Classic_jon

What was the last thing you changed before this problem surfaced?

The only thing changed is the bullet. I am getting them so cheap though! :wacko:

So is the money saved worth an extra 4-5 jams at every match you go to? I think not, but that's just me.

After shooting a Idpa match this last Sunday and having 4-5 jams out of only 70 rounds I'm looking for answers.

Also have you run a reamer in your chamber to make sure it is not slightly undersized?

I have not reamed it,it's just the stock Para 45 barrel. I am also having this same problem in my single stack and I installed a Wilson ss match barrel in it. I have polished both barrels chamber to a mirror finish.

Edited by KING 45ACP

The bullets have been very reliable and accurate for me. It took over 600 rounds through my Springfield without cleaning before I had any trouble. I switched to a U die before this trouble started. That is the only thing I know that could be linked to the trouble. Don't know why though.

Also have you run a reamer in your chamber to make sure it is not slightly undersized?

I have not reamed it,it's just the stock Para 45 barrel. I am also having this same problem in my single stack and I installed a Wilson ss match barrel in it. I have polished both barrels chamber to a mirror finish.

What are you "polishing" the chambers with?

What are you "polishing" the chambers with?

I cotton fob attachment on my dremel and some Flitz Stainless steel polish. After polishing I cleaned the chamber real good so no polishing compound was left inside.

Three possibilities come to mind and they are all centered on the bullets. The bullets aren't sized correctly, they are too soft, or the lube is causing the fouling. The old saying "you get what you pay for" is true, even with bullets.