Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dealing with brain freeze...

lugnut

I've been reading some threads in this section and it got me thinking about visualizing a stage TOO much! I was thinking about a few stages where I was so into the plan that when something happened.. I honestly frooze... for what seemed like eternity.

On one stage I had to pull a rope to ativate a swinger which needed to be engaged before a bunch of other targets... when I gave a good tug on the rope it just slipped out of my hand and didn't activate anything. It felt like I paused for ever... I recall thinking "that wasn't what I was visualizing what do I do now?" I wonder if I though it was a malfunction... till after a sec or two I figured out that I should pick it up and pull it! Wow.. brain lapse.

A couple weeks ago there was a stage with two steel- each one activated a disapearing swinger and a drop turner respectively... starting with only 6 in the gun. I knew I had plenty of time to activate each steel first, then the swinger, then the drop turner. I had made a plan and knew I had time to get good shots preventing a reload. Well... I engaged the two steel.. easily got the swinger and was waiting for the drop turner... and I waited, and I waited. I'm thinking wow, this is much slower than I recalled... till I realized that the steel that activated it.. which was maybe 6 feet to the left of the turn turner, had not dropped!! I lost several seconds on that one!!

I don't like to "plan in" alternate plans but freezing is embarrassing. Again- these things feel like forever and often are not- but sure feel like it!

This doesn't happen ofter but when it does I'm just completely perplexed that my subconscious or autopilot mode can't snap out of it quicker!

Edited by lugnut

Very often, if you remember to check, you will discover you are holding your breath. Everyone has a kinesthetic component to their intelligence, some of us more, some of us less. Breath is one of the most fundamental ways people get messed up. Change your breath and you change your responses in stressed conditions. Don't forget to breath.

I went through that myself, and it took me having multiple rounds fail to fire in a match to get me out of it (mostly :blush: ). During the walk through I now figure out where I will have to reload, and everything else is secondary. I focus on engaging the targets with the appropriate number of rounds, which for me has worked better than my old way of planning.

Better to reset, than to remain off.

Yeah usually the reset does work- on some occasions it doesn't... and I think it's because I play over the way I "plan" to shoot it that when something doesn't I have a brain fart. It's like my innner mind is saying "that wasn't supposed to happen so now what?".. lol

I promise you that you aren't visualizing too much.

You froze because you expected something to happen that didn't.

Lose the expectations - lose the brain freeze.

Ok, this makes sense. I guess I have the expectation that my visualized plan will work and it doesn't always. :mellow:

Depending on one's Temperament, this is easier for some than for otheres: Maintain a fairly open, adaptable mind while shooting a well planned stage.

I've told this story several times on the forums over the years. One time Robbie and I were talking and he said something like, a difference between the Todd Jarret and the Burner (Jerry Barnhart) is that when something goes wrong during a stage, Todd quickly and easily adapts, whereas the Burner does not. In MBTI Temperament language, that made sense. Todd is a "P-type" and the Burner is an "S-type."

be

During our Privincial champs this year one stage started with a very long shot at a mini popper. Several shooters stared in disbelief after gettin the popper on the first shot. Others had to come back and shoot it again after not getting it on the first shot. The best was a good mate of mine getting it right the first time and then turning to me( the RO) and saying "Would you look at that". I just glanced at the yellow timer and that got him moving.

• 2 weeks later...
I went through that myself, and it took me having multiple rounds fail to fire in a match to get me out of it (mostly :blush: ). During the walk through I now figure out where I will have to reload, and everything else is secondary. I focus on engaging the targets with the appropriate number of rounds, which for me has worked better than my old way of planning.

When stages start to go sideways and you feel yourself beginning to eat your own brain, I feel that sticking to ones planned reload points is critical, IMO. I've often performed a planned reload immediately after firing one or two shots after an unplanned reload, not because I needed to, but because it would help keep my mental train on the track. It really sucks to get mentally out of step at the first position of a stage when there are 4 more positions remaining to shoot from.

When stages start to go sideways and you feel yourself beginning to eat your own brain, I feel that sticking to ones planned reload points is critical, IMO. I've often performed a planned reload immediately after firing one or two shots after an unplanned reload, not because I needed to, but because it would help keep my mental train on the track. It really sucks to get mentally out of step at the first position of a stage when there are 4 more positions remaining to shoot from.

I've noticed this problem as especially painful for revolver shooters. I like your idea of continuing with your planned reloads even if you've onlys used up a couple from your last reload.... just to ensure the continuation of your plan.