Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

stupid digital traffic signs

I would put this under the hate rants, but I want to know if anyone can make me feel better about their use.

The signs I'm talking about are the big black digital signs that are for traffic conditions - or at least I thought so.

Past weekend in KY this is on the sign - and it takes two screens to display it.

"Distracted driving is deadly driving" "stay safe KY"

We'll I WAS distracted - trying to read their stupid sign! :angry2:

another we have here in SWOH is "click it or ticket" and "over the limit - under arrest" --- BRILLIANT!

Why distract drivers at all unless it is an emergency...period.

Oh, and I almost forgot the times when they tell us how many have died in accidents (year to date)

HOW does this help?

Don't even get me started about how many times I've passed a blank sign - only to get stuck in traffic within a mile after passing one!

Please put my mind at ease! Why?

thx... :closedeyes:

Ours used to mostly say " Don't drink and drive". Now they say "Don't text and drive". My question is - how long after texting is it safe to drive?

Edited by NickJ

• 2 weeks later...

While working on the Highways in Arizona, we would occasionaly use the Variable Message Board to make the motorist aware of situations ahead. We worked maintainence in Mountainous roads. When we set up the messages it was short and no more than three messages if area was visible for a good distance. And when the job was done it came down. In addition to our signage thie VMB worked well. But again we did not leave them out for no reason and stayed away from little jingles. later rdd

My two favorite signs.

"40% of all traffic accidents in this area last year involved alcohol"

that means 60% didn't. Damn, I think I move over to the 40% bracket. It is safer.

"State Law Obey all warning signs"

definitely my favorite

"40% of all traffic accidents in this area last year involved alcohol"

that means 60% didn't. Damn, I think I move over to the 40% bracket. It is safer.

Don't forget that 40% of people are caused by accidents.

Sometimes alcohol is involved

al

Well, the signs are there due to amber alert. Places like California had them before to alert one of traffic conditions, but lots of places installed them after amber alert got pushed out.

Mostly, in NJ it seemd to be they were for putting up test messages until the signs started malfunctioning and having dead pixels/regions. Now that thy are broken, they actually put up alerts that may or may not be legible. So now they are up to snuf for the average NJ municipal project.