Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI GP6 FTE

Ossi_v

I need advice how to fix stowepiping with my GP6. As brand new, it did that at least once or twice with every mag I shot. After about 200 rounds it has done that less, being quite reliable with slow shooting, but still some stowepipes. I took it to a local match last Saturday, and now it stowepiped 3 times in 30 rounds; twice with a 20 rd. mag, once with a 17 rd mag, both factory mags. I know I sometimes limpwrist, but cannot change that, so guns that require an iron grip for every round do not fit me.

My gun's chamber has been polished by a gunsmith, so that part is OK. Should I try with different springs, and if I should then what weight? Or should I just sell that gun to someone who has an iron grip while shooting?

Ossi

Hmm, that's odd. I suspect you are right, and limpwristing is the key to your problem. The obvious solution is to improve your grip during practice.

In the interim, you might want to consider using ammo with 147gr bullets. It's just a guess, but the shove of the eavier bullets might be better for your situation tan the snap of the lighter bullets.

I need advice how to fix stowepiping with my GP6. As brand new, it did that at least once or twice with every mag I shot. After about 200 rounds it has done that less, being quite reliable with slow shooting, but still some stowepipes. I took it to a local match last Saturday, and now it stowepiped 3 times in 30 rounds; twice with a 20 rd. mag, once with a 17 rd mag, both factory mags. I know I sometimes limpwrist, but cannot change that, so guns that require an iron grip for every round do not fit me.

My gun's chamber has been polished by a gunsmith, so that part is OK. Should I try with different springs, and if I should then what weight? Or should I just sell that gun to someone who has an iron grip while shooting?

Ossi

You didn't mention what type ammo you're using - if not powerful enough,

it can cause stovepiping. I also had that problem, but it turned out to

be magazine sensitive (one magazine caused most of the problems).

• 2 weeks later...
Check for a burr in the extractor hook...mine had one ;)

A

A gunsmith checked the extractor and said there is no burr. He suggested trying with a lower power recoil spring. Anyone knows what weight is the standard spring, and where to get a lower power spring? Wolf does not list STI GP6.

Ossi