Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally Chrono'ed: Solo 1000 data inside

Z32MadMan

Someone had a chrono out after a local match and I jumped on the chance to finally test my 147gr Solo load.

Here is what I came up with

Load:

BBI 147gr moly

Mixed brass

Magtech SPP

Solo 1000 3.4gr

OAL 1.145"

Pistol:

Sig P226 4.25"

9 rounds: 857, 855, 848, 851, 862, 849, 863, 847, 855

Average 854fps

Power factor: 125.5

Looks like I need to bump it up a tenth, but overall I'm very excited to see how consistent these rounds are.

Looks like I need to bump it up a tenth, but overall I'm very excited to see how consistent these rounds are.

Thanks for the data, I'm getting ready to build a similar load here over the Winter.

You're going to have to bump it more than a tenth if you want to avoid problems. First off, a tenth is within the variation of the powder measure so bumping it a tenth means that some of the charges will be what you're getting now, and that's too low since some (a third of them) were sub-Minor. If you have no plans of shooting at maches where they chronograph it may not matter to you, but if you have any plans along those lines you're going to have to bump that load until it's in the 133+PF range to be safe. Sub-Minor means you shoot for no score so it's way more important than making Major where at least you still get scored. Last year at Nationals I went 166.1PF with a load (new brass, careful loading etc) from a batch that had gone 172-174PF at a couple of major matches and always ran well over 170PF in my own testing....that was no fun to be that close. If I'd had a load that was normally 170ish I may not have made it even with a second three rounds. R,

Someone had a chrono out after a local match and I jumped on the chance to finally test my 147gr Solo load.

Here is what I came up with

Load:

BBI 147gr moly

Mixed brass

Magtech SPP

Solo 1000 3.4gr

OAL 1.145"

Pistol:

Sig P226 4.25"

9 rounds: 857, 855, 848, 851, 862, 849, 863, 847, 855

Average 854fps

Power factor: 125.5

That sounds about right. 3.5 gr of Solo 1000 under a 147 LTC bullet gets me about a 128 PF out of my M&P. I've never shot at a match where they chrono, but if I was going to, I'd bump it up to 3.6 gn just to be sure. I just heard a horror story about getting DQed at the S&W winter nationals for chronoing 123 PF :( .

I load 3.5gr of Solo under a BBI/Bear Creek 147gr Moly, from a 5" M&P, mixed brass, Wolf SPMag primers.

They all ran just under 900 fps, between 885 and 895. Right about 130PF... Perfect.

Jeff

This post is useless without an OAL of the reload. Some powders it won't matter as much. I've found case volume is a contributing factor with Solo 1000.