Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you watch other shooters in your squad?

Aldrin

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watch other shooters all the time.

all classes too. I find sometimes the slower shooters see something I missed.

also like watching other division shooters too. They all have different plans, target engagements, aquisitions that I like to see too.

I like to see how others see things, and move through things. I think it makes my game better

Edited by eerw

Only the really bad ones! :lol:

Seriously, we only watch the good shooters if they are right before us. If not, we just don't pay attention to form, hits, etc. I find it difficult to totally ignore a shooter.

Also, I really don't pay to much attention to all of the details if the person does not shoot my class. (ie Limited vs Production)

Sure, I watch everybody. I watch good shooters in my division to see how it's done. I watch the other divisions for fun. Like a really good shooter told me recently, If you are shooting production don't EVER take advice from an open shooter. :lol:

I used to watch everyone. The problem with watching the good guys in my pack is that they can do some things that I as a B shooter can't. I've turned more than one stage into a Hindenberg experience when my skills sets couldn't cash the check that my stage planning wrote.

At A2 this year I did not watch anybody else's shooting of a stage other than one where I was pretty lost on finding a good stage plan. I think this let me commit the stage to the subconscious much better than when I would toy with a stage up till the end. Best match I ever shot.

Today I did the same thing other than to just see how my buddys' runs went and had similar good results. I think this may be a best way for me, at least at this point.

I watch the "B" and "A" shooters sometimes. I always watch anyone I bring to the match (first timers). Never take my eyes off M and GM guys, I don't care what division they are shooting, too much there to learn. Unfortunately, I don't get to do that enough, as I don't see too many of them. Basically been shooting with the same bunch of guys for about 5 years and we are all B's and A's.

I have a friend who refuses to watch other's golf swings because it throws off his personal rhythm.

I like to watch other shooter's after I've shot the stage. Until I've shot the stage, my focus is that stage--not what others are doing.

I watch everyone...New shooters to make sure they are safe and don't get hurt or anyone else hurt, and every class of shooter after that. Not so much as to how to shoot the stage, more of a technique thing. No matter what division someone shoots in, you can learn something from them. As Robert Heinlein once said, "Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."

There's always knowledge to be gained watching other shooters.... the challenge is knowing what to do with this information. Trying to emulate other shooters that are better than you can be problematic. However sometimes you get to see someone run a stage in a way you never considered. I try not to watch the shooter or two before me... because I'm working on MY plan then and it's always too later to change things after that.

Sure, I watch everybody. I watch good shooters in my division to see how it's done. I watch the other divisions for fun. Like a really good shooter told me recently, If you are shooting production don't EVER take advice from an open shooter. :lol:

:rolleyes: Sounds like really sound advice ........ 5 minutes too late! :ph34r:

I watch shooters some but NOT right before I shoot. I will only watch someone right before I shoot if there is a timing issue. I have learned the hard way that I am one of those guys that needs a lot of mental preparation for a stage. I visualize the stage right up until I shoot and then I watch shooters.

I do watch other shooters.

I know the stigma that can create. The pitfalls and dangers that have been brought up.

The two things I always try and remember is what they do isn't what I do. So if someone else messes up, whether I witnessed it or not, doesn't and shouldn't impact whether I screw up. And I always have to remember to just work within my own skill set. Sometimes that means doing things others can't, and sometimes that means not doing things that others can.

Here is, to me, the interesting thing about the dynamic of watching others shoot. If you're watching a train wreck out there, a lot of folks kind of feel like that plants a seed for them. It almost opens up the opportunity for something similar to happen to them. Or the competitive juices start flowing and one thinks "the window of opportunity!!"

I work hard to bounce through those feelings. I can't say I don't get the competitive juices one, because at times I do. To me though the most important thing is to capture the technical learnings of the stage and disregard the emotional learnings of the stage.

Jack

Absolutely. I watch as many others as I can. I watch to see what works for them and what does not. I try and focus on different aspects on different people on different COF's. I'm particularly interested in how different people navigate a COF.

As to advice from open shooters, I do listen but ignore the stuff I know won't work for me (like leaning around a corner to shoot that little plate 40yds away).

:roflol:

:rolleyes: Sounds like really sound advice ........ 5 minutes too late! :ph34r:

Unless I am ROing, generally not much before I shoot. Depending on squad mates, I might. If the shooter has about the same mental process and is equal to a few classes better, I will watch. There are some shooters that watching will negatively impact my plan. After I have shot, I watch all that I can.

I always try to watch those shooters who are better than I am and particularly if they are shooting in the same division. Even if they aren't in the same division, I like to see how they execute the stage and move into, through and out of shooting positions. I've learned a ton from A and above shooters in other divisions.

I never watch lefties and I never watch the competitor who shoots right before me.