Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bill Drill times

GMyers

I can shoot 1.5X-1.65 cold with my Open and Limited .10 -.20 slower at 7 yards. Bill Drill(good name :) ) are measures of relaxation and trigger control. I learned the most about them and myself when I practiced six shots with eyes closed into the bank. YMMV and I never said to shoot with your eyes closed. I think awareness and relaxation are important to the 10th degree. We all achieve these via different paths, hopefully. Bill drills are not the end. They can become the means to an end. Just like anything don't let them become a end. Some people spend a lifetime trying to draw a .75, well in a match, that means very little if your exit times off of "every" array is .5 less than your opponents. That said its been said before "a second is lifetime". That's the difference between TGO and the rest of us. B) I love this game :)

PS If you want to measure yourself compared to the great ones then put in the time and effort. They did. Sorry feeling squirrley in my absence. :wacko:

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill

I have been accused of shooting with my eyes closed any number of times, after the scores came in.

I don't pin lots of importance on a Bill Drill by itself. In the big picture, it means very little. If you can shoot a time that is about 2 flat you won't loose many match points with that time and you haven't shot yourself in the foot by trying to go very low and ending up lots of points down.

Just my philosophy...

• 2 weeks later...
I am shooting a factory .45 single-stack, no competative enhancements at all.  Rob L. says begin BD's at 6 seconds and work faster from there.

Rob L. shoots 6 shots in 2 seconds or less (probably much less).  How fast can a GM go with a factory gun.  For my gun and caliber what should I consider a "fast" BD (assuming 0 down).  I would like to know what the top end is so I can begin setting some realistic goals.

And how far is a target in BD?

I trainin it at 5, 9 and 13 metres.

I want try compare yours and my results.

lukipsc

We all have goals, just that some are more realistic than others. Example: TGO has shot a BD, clean, in I think 1.36, or less than 1.4 I know. There are guys on this forum who can shoot a sub 4.0 sec El Prez.

May I suggest that you not become obsessed with singular drills and instead concentrate on a more rounded practice routine to enhance your skill set in ALL areas instead of just a few. Noone ever won any match by shooting a sub 4 sec

El Prez or a sub 1.5 BD...

All this talk about drills, especially the bill drills made me wonder where I stood. I never really tried any of the drills but thought it would be fun to post and have other people put up their times. The * represents clean runs, all alpha's.

Draw, 1 shot @ 7 yrds ( these were all Alpha's)

.82, .84, .79, .73, .81, .77, .68, .71

Bill Drill @ 7yrds

1.73, 1.60*, 1.65, 1.62, 1.54*, 1.52, 1.65, 1.53, 1.46*, 1.62, 1.53*

El Pres 10yrds, targets spaced 5 feet

4.97, 4.89, 4.87, 4.56, 4.53, 4.57, 5.31, 4.44, 4.45

None shoot totally clean. Average was 3-4 points down. Focused on getting my head turned faster and times started to drop.

Reloads for above El Pres.

1.17, 1.47, 1.18, 1.19, 1.09, 1.91, 1.09, 1.13

Wasen't able to break the 1 sec mark @ 10y@ 10 yrds.

Draws were all pretty consistant. The turn and draw I worked on getting my head snapped around and that saved me some time. Bill drill I need to work on. I was definately over driving the gun. Also my cadence was not consistant, so tension was killing me. Interesting drills though. I'll have to work them into my practice more.

Paul

Very impressive. Is this with an Open gun or something else.

I can do the single draw and shoot an A in the same kind of timeframes you did, but not even close on the BD or the El Prez.

I am sure they were, but you didn't say if all the BD's you shot were all A hits.

We won't talk about the difference in our times on the El Prez, but our points down are about the same...

Again, very impressive.

Tightloop,

Yes this is with an open gun.

Thanks for the compliment, but mucho room for improvement. Only the ones with the * were all A's. So I need to work on that. I could tell when I started to get really tense that my splits/cadence started to get off.

Whole setup

Grand Master STI w/ recoil master

CR speed holster

115 gr MG JHP/N350 powder

Safariland belt and mag pouches

I learned a whole lot more than expected doing these drills and plan to incorporate them more in my training/practice sessions.

I just tried the drill to finish my practice awhile ago. I shot 7 bill drills and got 3 in less than 2 seconds. all A's

The best was a 1.78. I got one at 1.6 but 1 C so that does not count. :angry:

Its such a wonderful feeling to do this drill and get to talk about it. The sights just went up and down and up and down :P

was using a classic ipsc target and an svi limited gun, ill try it again using a ipsc human target and see if i can bring it down some more.

Great thread :)

a week after taking a class with voigt i shot my first b.d. in under two seconds 1.82 limited. Also the first time I broke one second on the draw at seven yards with an A hit (.95). with my open pig the best I've gotten down to was 1.91 with a 1.05 draw and .15 and .16 splits.

Funny story. Shows to that we all have bad days. Also shows that when the pressure is on, who knows what may happen.

SHot a classifier match Sunday.

Stage 1 had a drop that I called but it was VC and I let it go.

Stage 2 mag fell out of the gun, then I ran it dry.

Stage 3 missed the reload terribly.

Stage 4 shot ok but wild

stage 5 missed the reload AGAIN

stage 6 Hey I got one right!

Just a weird day, felt out of my groove all day. So yea, practice those drills and work on the fundementals, but some days you just have realize thet "you ain't got today!". <_<

Finally got a few nice days in to practice and did a few 10 yard bill drills.

The best was a 1.42 with a .67 draw. The average was between 1.5 and 1.6 with draws ranging in the .73 to .78 area, all A's. I'm around .3 faster on the drill than I was in the summer, and my hits are a lot better.

Paul W,

Thanks, it's taken a lot of dry fire to get the draws down ( I've been on the Determinator program) and a lot of live fire watching the front sight.

Well your going to laugh your ass off. I'm a 50% limited and a 67% limited 10 shooter. I really blow at classifers. The gun is a heavy limited STI .40 I built myself. I pulled a .1 off my draw since the summer and my splits went from the high teens to the low teens. More important to me though my draw accuracy is extremly improved, and my groups at speed are much tighter.

This drill just happens to play to my strengths. I think everybody has a skill or two they naturally excel at, the draw is mine. My goal for the new year is a consistant sub .7 draw on demand in matches with solid accuray. I slow down on the draw in matches to get better accuracy, .8 range.

ORCA,

Not laughing at all, that's awesome. "Sucking at classifiers" sounds like is just in your head. If you can pull off .8 draws on demand, you'll never need anymore to go as far as you want to. Faster never hurts though.

Great job, keep it up!!

And quit blowing those classifiers.... :D

May I suggest that you not become obsessed with singular drills and instead concentrate on a more rounded practice routine to enhance your skill set in ALL areas instead of just a few. Noone ever won any match by shooting a sub 4 sec

El Prez or a sub 1.5 BD...

Makes sense to me.

I think our gracious host has pointed out that a good test of your ability at any given time is not your best time/score on a drill after hours of practice, but what you can do cold. His example was that it actually took him years to do a clean BD (presumably under the master par time) cold, first shots out of the holster for the day.