Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bill Drill times

GMyers

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously its done at a subconscious level, I know I only have to pull it 5 times so I do...your subconscious can do functions like this much faster than you think, if you turn yourself over to it.

Next time you are at the range try this, its like the progression drill (which will work too) but simpler. On the beep draw and fire one into the back stop as fast as you can. Now reset and on the next beep draw and fire two into the backstop as fast as you can, reset and repeat with three shots and so on. If you screw up and lose count (fire too many or not enough) start again. See how fast you can pull the trigger and maintain count.

Pat

Pat, excellent idea.  I all ready practice 1 for draw time and  2 for draw and accelerated pair time. ( I never say double tap ) so I'll grab me a partner and have him yell a number between 3 and 6 and see if I can learn those feels.

Our local IDPA club has been specifying anywhere from 2 to 6 shots per target in order to break the 2 shot per target mentality.  Does USPSA do this kind of thing also ?  I guess I'm getting off the actual topic here so I'll make this my last question on this thread, at least until I can brag about a sub 2 bill drill.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

could someone make a comment on this. it was my first time to try the bill drill this afternoon. the first time i shot it, i had a 3.03 until i got it down consistently to 2.04 dropping none. twas a fun filled afternoon for me doing the drills described in the forums.

going back to the bill drill, my first shot (+ reaction time) was 1.16 with splits of .18sec with the 5th shot going at .16. now, the 1.16 raction time, draw and shoot, was it slow in comparison to the better ones out there? the splits of .18 on average, on call, was it good enough?

other questions to be posted at other posts :)

hey flexmoney, thanks. i think i really have to work on my reaction time. it really is slow compared to what i've read around other forums.

would it help if i'm using electronic muffs? i'm using the ordinary peltor now.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been shooting BD's with my limited blaster for about 3 years and have come to the conclusion it is purely a "feel" drill. I can make a 2.15 all A's if I stop trying to drive the gun and just let my muscle memory feel when the muzzle is pointed at the target, I guess my eyes confirm it but I am not conscious of that, jus the feeling of being there.

IMO I think this drill teaches you the essance of relaxation during high speed movement (i.e. the draw, and fast splits.).  I have seen sooo many people do this drill and double clutch the trigger or miss the draw horribly.  You have to stay relaxed......that's the key.

• 1 year later...

I shot a 1.95 in front of my partner during practice about a month ago. While we were wowing my first sub 2, a local IDPA shooter in the next bay heard me and came to investigate. He asked what the time had been and then scoffed like he thought the timer was wrong. I offered to do it again. I shot a 1.76 with a .80 draw. My first shot was a C one inch to the right and dead in the middle, the rest scattered A's. I was suprised by the time. I was very tired due to having not slept at all the night before driving home from out of town work. Sometimes though, ya just gotta do whatca gotta do.

• 4 weeks later...

I keep Excel spread sheets for everything (standard exersice) I do. Like el presidente, bill drill, Swedish king (my variant of el pres) etc. my average is 2.36 and best time is 2.01 (6 times)..... confident that with some dry fire training on especially my draw I'll find the smothness needed to break 2.

My best with no points down is 2.05. Have done several under 2.0 but not clean. The times I have had to shoot this in a match, I did a "steady Eddie" about 2.25 or 2.30. You can't win a match here, but you might loose one if you go crazy trying to go really low.

• 3 weeks later...

My best clean time is 2.55 with my 1911. I shoot 185pf ammo and use a Alessie DOJ leather holster. I'm happy with that time. Last weekend with a stock G17 I shot a 2.05 down 1 out of a Safariland 560. Getting a fast first shot clean is the trick for me especially with the 1911.

Mark