Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vista

Pittbug

I don't usually do much multimedia work on my PC, but I just received a dvd of pictures from the OH state IDPA match and copying them onto my HD is a real PITA. I have no idea what it's trying to do. I select all the files and it just sits there "calculating" not doing anything. Why can't it just copy the files, like every other OS does. There's nothing to calculate, just copy the damn files!

I don't know why a simple process like copying a file from one location to another is so damn difficult. This is unbelievably frustrating, what the heck were the "engineers" thinking when they decided to totally destroy one of the most simple of all OS functions, copying files. My HD light is permanently on.. it's doing something, it's accessing a lot of files, but it certainly isn't doing any copying. I just opened up a DOS prompt and manually navigated to the new folder where the files are supposed to be. Nada. I mean seriously, it's just 250 jpg files.

What does it need to calculate? How come this calculating feature was not removed in service pack 1?

It's taking so long I've decided to give up and try to copy them manually using the CMD prompt. Of course now explorer is frozen so I have to shut down that process. Now it's frozen shutting down explorer. It's probably calculating how to do it, that's why it takes so long.

How much did I pay for this piece of garbage OS again?

At this point I better hit the post button before I have to do a hard reboot by yanking the power cord out the back of the tower. Vista is such a piece of crap.

1. Click on “Start button -> All Programs -> Accessories“. Right-click on “Command Prompt” and select “Run As Administrator“. If you are prompted to enter password, enter the password and continue. You can also open Command Prompt in Administrator mode by typing “cmd” in Startmenu Search box and press “Ctrl+Shift+Enter“.

2. Now provide following command:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

3. Restart your system and now you should not face any problem while copying files.

Edited by JThompson