Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Medium term storage protectant?

open17

For more years than I care to admit, I've used a little spritz of RIG 2 protectant and a wipe down with a soft

cloth as the final step on gun cleaning. Some of the safe queens haven't been shot in a L-O-N-G time, but

they are clean and rust free. Not looking for long term/gun grease/cosmoline products, or anything that

I have to remove before shooting.

Now RIG 2 is gone, and I'm about out. Any recomendations for a protectant? Not looking for a

cleaner/lubricant/protectant. Not even looking for 2 out of 3. Just a protectant.

What I see so far:

Break Free COLLECTOR

Birchwood Casey BARRICADE aerosol, which I slightly prefer

Brownell's RUST PREVENTIVE No. 2 Pump bottle, interesting choice of names---I wonder if it's the same as

the old RIG 2?

Suggestions? Other products to consider?

for semi long term I use a product called mold shield made by a company called Slide. its a dry aerosol application. good for 2 yrs storage indoors. primarily used for the mold industry when storing a mold which is bare steel in most cases. works good. does require a light wipe down of WD-40 etc when youre ready to shoot it again. works very well where I live (iowa) very high humidity in the summer. I have seen this selling on fleabay if you only want a single can otherwise its sold in case quantity.

Edited by cforcht

Brownells RP-2 is NOT Rig 2. It is the original formula for Sheath, which Bob Brownell created back in the late 40s and then sold to Birchwood Casey. BC continued to mess with the formula so Bob put the original back on the market. Casey eventually dropped Sheath and replaced it with Barricade. RP-2 is a water displacing oil with a long term rust preventer mixed in.

Someone did purchase the RIG brand. I know Brownells has the RIG rags back in stock, assume the original grease won't be far behind.

Bill,

Plus one on Boeshield T-9. You can find it at any Marine Supply Store. The can is white with gray and red letters and comes in 4oz and a larger aerosol cans.

I had some rusty tools in the back of my pickup. I sprayed them down and the rust went away.

Boeshield T-9 is a terrific surface protectant. It keeps the unpainted cast iron and steel surfaces on all my large woodworking tools totally rust free for up to a year. These are located in my garage in hot, humid Florida. Just spray it on and wipe it off. I use it on all my firearms.

Edited by XD Niner

• 2 weeks later...