Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 accuracy

wolfie

I have only about 1500 rounds through my G34 and have not made any mods except sights and Vanek classic trigger. What type of accuracy can be expected at 25 yards? So far I know it is my shooting that is the limiting factor.

What is the feeling on match grade barrels, worth it? What kind of accuracy improvement is realistic?

I have only about 1500 rounds through my G34 and have not made any mods except sights and Vanek classic trigger. What type of accuracy can be expected at 25 yards? So far I know it is my shooting that is the limiting factor.

What is the feeling on match grade barrels, worth it? What kind of accuracy improvement is realistic?

For our game, I'd doubt it would be worth it. My well-worn G34 (over 50K rounds) can generally keep five shots all in the upper A zone from slow fire at 25 yds when I do my part. I reload 3.3 grains of Titegroup with a Zero 147 gr. JHP.

Spend the money on ammo for more practice :cheers:

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

No need to swtich barrels. Groups... what do you need? If this is for USPSA shooting I agree with Bayou. A 4" group should be fine.. but I'd bet the shooter, not the gun is the limiting factor- providing you have decent loads.

I will also add. Experiment with lots of different loads. Almost any gun will have a preference when it comes to accuracy. Switch bullet weights, powders etc. Increase and decrease OAL etc. You will sometimes see dramatic differences I know I did.

Hello: With my old G34 I could make one larger hole(quarter size) using 147 Precision bullets with 5 shots, shot real slow :cheers: That is with a factory barrel. I have not tried that yet with my new Glock 34 yet. You have to find a load that works for your pistol and shooting style. The "A" zone is large but it tends to get smaller after the buzzer :roflol: Thanks, Eric

I have a lone wolf barrel for my G34 and it doesnt shoot any better than the stock barrel off handed. I haven't documented it but I seem to have more malfucntions with the lone wolf barrel. My guess us it's either too loose or too tight in the slide but I'm no gunsmith. I run the stock barrel for my FMJ loads and the lone wolf for the cast bullets.

With my G34 with factory barrel I've posted numerous groups at 50 feet (the maximum distance possible at the indoor range on which I do most of my shooting) of 1" even. So for my gun, with me behind the gun, the answer would be 1.5" at 25 yards.

Damn Duane- that's some good shootin! I've done many 1-1.5" groups at 50 feet.. but the extra 25 feet really is a challenge for me. I think it might be because I can't accurately see the POA at 25 yds! Freestyle groups of 1.5" at 25 yds is quite impressive!

Don't be too impressed. Consider (1) that was from the bench, not freestyle; (2) as I said, the range only goes to 50 feet, so I extraplated group size out to 25 yards - 1" at 50 feet would be 1.5" at 25 yards, all else being even; (3) I've been doing this for a living since 1992 - it would be pretty sad if I wasn't good at it by now. ;)

If you have to ask, you're not going to notice any better accuracy with an aftermarket barrel. The downside to them, is they're pretty much all going to sacrifice reliability and may even change POI. Most aftermarket barrels (any claiming to be match barrels) will have a tighter chamber. Tighter chamber = more likely to jam as the brass gets wider or the chamber gets dirtier. I had a Federal Arms Glock 19 barrel at one point (younger and dumber) and with factory IMI ammo, it would jam (failing to get into battery) after just a few shots. It worked fine with Blazer.

I've heard of two main reasons for using after market barrels in Glocks - accuracy and brass bulge.

As pointed out above, the factory barrel is more than accurate enough for action pistol sports. And the right dies or a Case Pro will get the reloaded case close enough to factory specs as you might have need for.

I've heard of two main reasons for using after market barrels in Glocks - accuracy and brass bulge.

As pointed out above, the factory barrel is more than accurate enough for action pistol sports. And the right dies or a Case Pro will get the reloaded case close enough to factory specs as you might have need for.

Reason #3 cast bullets

Reason #3 cast bullets

That's what I was thinking. The only reason I'd put an aftermarket barrel in a Glock was to shoot lead.

I don't have a G34, but I've shot enough 25yd groups with my .40 Glocks to know that they will all easily manage 2" or better with decent ammo and from what I've seen the 9s are often a bit more accurate than the .40s (as are the .45s). The last group I remember shooting out of my G23 was 1.25" at 25yds (five shots) with my hands resting on a rolled up towel. If I miss, it's all me.... R,

I have a variety of aftermarket barrels in my Glock 17, 34, and 35 - Jarvis, KKM, BarSto. All function perfectly even with the tighter match chambers, so I have not sacrificed reliability and have definitely tightened up the accuracy with both Precision moly coated and jacketed bullets. Is it worth the cost? Well, I think so and mine is the opinion that matters when it comes to the guns I use in competition. It is a personal choice as to the cost. If you think the aftermarket barrel makes you a better shooter, then it probably does because so much of our game is mental.

I would stick with a glock OEM barrel (and I do!). With the right load, under 2" at 25 yards from a bench. And ever practice session I start out with the 25 yard accuracy drill: off hand, 5 shots in the upper panel of a metric target. Use both Bear Creak 125 g Molys and Montana Gold 147g CMJ (just not in the same session).

The MOST gains you will have with accuracy on a glock will be to change your trigger ... which you've already done. The 2nd most gain will be to change sights (done that too). The last thing: practice.

Grade accuracy through scores not groups, but would say 90's all day long with 25M NRA bulls, and Ive seen guys better then myself

shoot high 90's all day long with wal-mart winchester. whats your application? If your improving bulls, get structured, scored targets, slow aim fire.

IPSC/IDPA another story.

• 3 years later...

Grade accuracy through scores not groups, but would say 90's all day long with 25M NRA bulls, and Ive seen guys better then myself

shoot high 90's all day long with wal-mart winchester. whats your application? If your improving bulls, get structured, scored targets, slow aim fire.

IPSC/IDPA another story.

I'm a mid 90's on a NRA B-8 tgt. I'd like to see more 99-100 scores. I changed my striker and the faster lock time helped. I'll probably end up with a Bar-Sto barrel sooner or later. That will help me chase down those last few points.

A wise man once told me "The foundation of all combat/practical shooting is the ability to place one well aimed shot on command."

I'v never shot a 34, but i have a 17 and shoot a few times a week at an indoor range that goes out to 25 yards. Shooting off hand and depending on ammo i can get groups pretty consistently around 2 inches if i'm taking my time and really trying for it. I really don't believe aftermarket barrels make your gun any more accurate but they have their purposes, if your shooting reloads, or maybe want to add a comp to the gun. I think ammo by far plays more of a role in accuracy. I did a blind test a few months ago with some factory stuff. I shot groups of 5 with pmc, blazer brass, Hornady critical defense, and speer gold dot, all on separate bullseye targets and had a buddy load them up and mark on each target which ammo shot which target afterwards so i wouldn't know what i was shooting. It's interesting to see the difference in groups. The Pmc and blazer was close to the same with the gold dot group seeming a little tighter. The group i shot with the critical defense was noticeably better then the rest. That was when i made my first realization that holy crap, ammo really makes a big friggin difference. From there on i realised that i want to get into reloading, so i can have some more fun with this.