Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noveske SS barrel too good for a 3 gun upper?

Tattoo

Got to shoot the new 18" barrel the other day. I think it likes 69 Sierras. 5 shot .606"

NoveskeSPR016.jpg

Yeah, all of mine will do this at 25 yards too. :P

Seriously though, I have 3 Noveske barrels, a 14.5, a 16.1, and an 18, and all of them are freaks when it comes to accuracy. I bet if you totally tie the gun down, you will see it even tighter, but who has time for that.

LOL. Funny man. It was only 100yds but still very happy w/ the results.

T

Tattoo, good shooting. Believe it or not, you may still get better accuracy than that from a Noveske SS barrel!

Cold, Thanks. I am going to try more than a 3x scope and a better trigger this weeekend. Thanks for the input.

T

Move the target further out too :P

Edited by fomeister

what is the difference betwen a SS and Cold Hammer Forged Barrel?

I don't really have a great answer for ya. Maybe someone else does. But obviously the CHF barrel is a CMV steel

barrel that is chrome lined and the other is a non-chromed SS barrel. Both are button rifled. The SS 16" is heavier than the 16" CHF N4 barrel too. My guess is 5oz. I already had a 16" N4 barreled upper ( which is why I bought the 18" ) and it is very accurate. The SS just seems even more accurate, but heavier too.

T

• 2 years later...
Got to shoot the new 18" barrel the other day. I think it likes 69 Sierras. 5 shot .606"

NoveskeSPR016.jpg

Seriously though, I have 3 Noveske barrels, a 14.5, a 16.1, and an 18, and all of them are freaks when it comes to accuracy. I bet if you totally tie the gun down, you will see it even tighter, but who has time for that.

T

Tattoo, good shooting. Believe it or not, you may still get better accuracy than that from a Noveske SS barrel!

Cold, Thanks. I am going to try more than a 3x scope and a better trigger this weeekend. Thanks for the input.

T

I know, zombie thread. But when things go well, as they often don't, it's worth mentioning. I'm getting that type of grouping at 200 yards with the 18" SS noveske barrel using 69 gr Sierra MK on 22.9 grs of H335. I'm pretty stoked.

• 5 weeks later...

What rail system is everyone using with the Noveske Lightweight 18" SS Barrel? I was thinking of using a Centurion Arms 12" C4 rail.

I'm using the Troy BattleRail. It's been very solid.

Didn't realize they didn't offer it for the 16", 18" is the only one, I wonder how come. My Noveske 17" has the IGLS though.

A 16" Upper with an Intermediate Gas Length System.

Edited by Vipers

I like Noveske stuff but I do have some issues with their Stainless barrels I have tried. My Rogue Hunter is a 1 MOA gun with the best ammo it likes and more typically around 1.25. With ball ammo it sucks more around 2.5 to 3.5 moa. With the JP barrel I tried it shoots .75 moa with match loads and with ball it generally shoots 1.5 moa. My point is Noveske is fine for match bullets but sucks with FMJ ammo in my experience and in the experience of 2 of my friends who have nearly identical rifles. The down side is I have to use match bullets a lot more than a shooter who has a JP barrel. I guess my point is that the Noveske barrel shoots acceptably but costs more and for the price I paid I expected a bit more accuracy and more accuracy with different bullet types.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I like Noveske stuff but I do have some issues with their Stainless barrels I have tried. My Rogue Hunter is a 1 MOA gun with the best ammo it likes and more typically around 1.25. With ball ammo it sucks more around 2.5 to 3.5 moa. With the JP barrel I tried it shoots .75 moa with match loads and with ball it generally shoots 1.5 moa. My point is Noveske is fine for match bullets but sucks with FMJ ammo in my experience and in the experience of 2 of my friends who have nearly identical rifles. The down side is I have to use match bullets a lot more than a shooter who has a JP barrel. I guess my point is that the Noveske barrel shoots acceptably but costs more and for the price I paid I expected a bit more accuracy and more accuracy with different bullet types.

Pat

Our Noveske 18" SPR (stainless barrel) upper shoots an honest MOA with new 55gr FMJ Federal American Eagle, the stuff in the black box or bulk pack (AE223BK). The older lots in the red box, not so much.

Edited by californiasushi

My rogue hunter with 16 barrel shoot moa with the ae 55 grain stuff

Your lucky I have tried mine with American Eagle XM193,PMC, UMC and my reloads and its not where near that good. It barely does MOA with my handloads using 77 grain Lapua bullets. The same rounds in my Larue Stealth are .65 moa for comparision. Also how are you measuring MOA. I shoot 5 5 shot groups and take the average. I see a lot of people talking about MOA rifles and then found out they got a 3 shot group once under moa. All my range reports are in this link.

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/NOveske%20Rogue%20Hunter%20targets/

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Maybe but I would be concerned with it causing other issues. My thoughts are the gas block, short stroking, buffer tube and weight.

I need to find out what my Noveske 17" is.

Anyone ever given any thought to cutting down the 18" Light Weight SS with Intermediate Gas Length to 16 inches?

NoveskeSPR016.jpg

T

T

I know, zombie thread. But when things go well, as they often don't, it's worth mentioning. I'm getting that type of grouping at 200 yards with the 18" SS noveske barrel using 69 gr Sierra MK on 22.9 grs of H335. I'm pretty stoked.

Hey thanks! I just stumbled into 8lbs of H335 and I have 500 69's....nice!

T

Pat

I can usually get @ 1.5" for 5 rounds with 55 FMJ.... but no better.

T

PRI 14" carbon fibre on mine...

Mick

What rail system is everyone using with the Noveske Lightweight 18" SS Barrel? I was thinking of using a Centurion Arms 12" C4 rail.

• 2 months later...

Vipers,

Where did you get your Noveske 17"? What are the specs on your upper

I got a 17" from Wes at MSTN. Its the JLZ (just like Zach Smith) barrel. Rifle gas, lightweight special contour. Real nice. He also has the 18" LW with rifle gas systems and they build great guns. Haven't shot it yet but I'm sure its going to be a tack driver.