Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 Feeding Problem

kylethunder380

Hey guys, what could be the cause of certain .22lr ammo feeding too high and jamming into the top of the barrel instead of 'into' the barrel? The gun is an older Hi Standard 106 that I inherited when my grandpa recently passed away. I KNOW he has never changed the mag spring, etc... It has sat under his bed for the past 40 years, don't think he shot it more than 2 times in that period. I was thinking maybe it needed a new mag spring, but it seems like the opposite would happen with a weak spring. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Kyle

A weak mag spring could allow the bolt to push the back of the cartridge down during feeding, which would point the nose up and create that condition. New mag springs would be a good place to start. Feed lips that have spread might also cause something like that. Rimfires are known to be somewhat ammo sensitive. Some will run anything, but a lot will favor a particular brand/type.

Hey guys, what could be the cause of certain .22lr ammo feeding too high and jamming into the top of the barrel instead of 'into' the barrel? The gun is an older Hi Standard 106 that I inherited when my grandpa recently passed away. I KNOW he has never changed the mag spring, etc... It has sat under his bed for the past 40 years, don't think he shot it more than 2 times in that period. I was thinking maybe it needed a new mag spring, but it seems like the opposite would happen with a weak spring. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Kyle

It wouldn't be Remington Golden Bullet would it??

Flyin

Also keep in mind that High Standards are notoriously picky about mags. They're great guns...no doubt, but the mags are suspect. Lots of folks say you have to buy half a dozen to get two or three that run properly....no experience with that, but it's a common sentiment. R,

High Standards are notorious for needing the magazine lips "tweeked" now and then. G Man is right about shooters buying more mags than needed and finding the ones that work with the ammo the gun likes. The "reject" mags might work just fine in another pistol too.

Thanks,

-Kyle

Is there more than 1 magazine and if so do you have the same problem with all mags? What kind of ammo are you using? Most High Standards should feed any ammo good, but Standard Velocity seems to work better than High Speed ammo. I have run across some ammo that wouldn't function in one or more of my High Standards.

I've been shooting and using the same 2 mags in various guns since 1972 and have never changed out mag springs. You might be able to get some springs from the New High Standard outfit in Texas. I think that they also sell mags but the new mags are usually made from thinner material and don't seem to work anywhere close to the old mags.

If possible find someone that has an old High Standard and try their mags with the ammo that is giving you problems. But if there is other ammo that feeds good than I'd suggest that you use that ammo.

• 1 month later...

Thanks,

-Kyle

Is there more than 1 magazine and if so do you have the same problem with all mags? What kind of ammo are you using? Most High Standards should feed any ammo good, but Standard Velocity seems to work better than High Speed ammo. I have run across some ammo that wouldn't function in one or more of my High Standards.

I've been shooting and using the same 2 mags in various guns since 1972 and have never changed out mag springs. You might be able to get some springs from the New High Standard outfit in Texas. I think that they also sell mags but the new mags are usually made from thinner material and don't seem to work anywhere close to the old mags.

If possible find someone that has an old High Standard and try their mags with the ammo that is giving you problems. But if there is other ammo that feeds good than I'd suggest that you use that ammo.

Go to the site Target talk. Then go to forums, then go to highstandard in there is a guide on how to adj the mags

:unsure: Kyle,

I have been shooting High Standards for many years.

A few thoughts, What color is the follower in the mag?

As others have pointed out - feeding issues are common.

If the follower is light green, then it's good chance it's a factory mag.

After mkt mags have more problems than factory ones, and original mags have

issues as well. Do you have more than 1 mag?

What ammo are you using ?

These questions need to be addressed - to get you pointed in the right direction.

I doubt that it is a mag spring issue.

Let us know what you have.

Edited by pgh george