Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjust Primer Depth?

Greetings Folks,

I'm trying to understand the relationship between swaging and seating depth with my XL650. I understand that the swager rolls the primer cup edge while removing the military crimp on a .223.

My concern is that it appears the primers are being seated deeper following swaging of my brass when compared to primers in Scartch preped brass. Though I have not figured out how to use my standard blade digital micrometer to measure the depth, it feels deeper when a slide my fingernail across the surface. The specs are saying the depth should be, depending on the reference, between .003 and .007.

Is there a way to control or adjust the depth of primer seating with an XL 650?

Thank you

The Nordwand.

As far as I know you can't adjust the depth of seating a primer on a 650. Realize the primer needs to be seated solidly against the bottom of the primer pocket so the anvil is also seated against the bottom of the primer pocket. Not seating it correctly either by intention or mistake often causes a high primer situation where the primer might not ignite on the first strike of the firing pin. In this case the first strike will usually finish seating the primer and the second strike ignites the primer.

Depth of primer is hard to measure if you really want to. The headstamp in the brass will give you varying reading as the edges of the numbers and letters are usually raised a bit during the stamping process. A deeper reading when the headstamp/cartridge is new and a shallower reading after the cartridge has been shot a few times as the headstamp is flattened by the breachface during the shooting process.

The firmness of the upstroke used in the process of seating a primer on a 650 is an acquired feel. Just use enough pressure to completely seat the primer and you should be good.

CYa,

Pat

If you are using the Dillon primer pocket swager, it does not bottom out in the primer pocket, it only removes the crimp and radiuses the mouth of the primer pocket. It could be that the Scharch processed brass has less radius on the mouth of the pocket, giving the appearance of a more deeply seated primer.

On your dial caliper, use the dust cover as a depth gage. Open the caliper about one inch. Set the point of the dust cover against the primer, and slide the body of the caliper against the head of the case. Read the dial face to find out how deep below flush your primers are seated. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I adjust mine by folding up a piece of paper and stuffing it under the piece that the primer punch contacts. I shoot revolvers that absolutely will not set off a primer that isn't fully seated and have not had any problems (other than running out of Federal primers and trying to use CCI).