Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The black pin in Dillon die set box - what is it for?

seeds76

You will find out soon enough. :devil:

But Jim has the correct answer, it is an extra one for when you bend it. And you will bend it.

I still haven't bent one (yet) although I have heard from many sources that it will inevitably happen at some point... What is the most common reason why these get bent/broken? Does it just happen eventually under normal use or is there anything else that I need to pay attention to?

But Jim has the correct answer, it is an extra one for when you bend it. And you will bend it.

I still haven't bent one (yet) although I have heard from many sources that it will inevitably happen at some point... What is the most common reason why these get bent/broken? Does it just happen eventually under normal use or is there anything else that I need to pay attention to?

Make sure you don't have any polishing media blocking the flash hole.

I don't rush my down stroke (550B) and have felt the extra resistance from the blocked flash hole or berdan primed 9mm case which has saved my decaping pin thus far (700rds).

Edited by belus

Like posted, mine found a rock. Dillon sent me a coupe of extras.

like the others have posted, its not if, its when you will eventually snap a pin, its so much a habit of mine now i look at the headspamp of every piece of brass before it goes in the machine, cant read the headstamp??? because of over use, trash it, or because of a language barrier??? hehehe trash it, its not worth the hassle of changing out a broken part in the die

what scared the crap out of me, was using my first set of dillon dies w/ the spring loaded decappin pin.....first one went PING like a Garand clip and i thought oh crap i snapped another one.....then realized what it wasdoing...now, forthat set of dies i realize that noise is 'normal'

What has bent them in my press <_<

Small rocks stuck in cases

25 auto or 32 auto cases stuck in cases.

Berdan primed cases....but they usually just punch through

In the 550 press you can add, pulling the handle with the shell plate out of index.

with normal use (no rocks ect) they last for years and years

Jim

Edited by GentlemanJim

I bent one early on by trying to decap a case that had a spent primer inside it. As happens on the RL550B, sometimes spent primers don't end up in the spent primer cup...and this one time, one landed in the empty case bin and found its way inside a case waiting to be loaded. Now I've made a habit of turning every case up side down before it goes into station 1. I haven't found another primer that way...yet.

I'm still waiting for it to happen to me. 20,000 rounds, still the original decapping 40 S&W pin. I use corncob media, it seems to be pretty soft, so it just presses out. Segregate all of my brass, then after tumbling, turn every case upside down before going into the sizer, to get the rest of the corncob out (and anything else left in the case).