Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Air Soft

huesos

I'm trying to find the electronic sensor/timing method used by the Japanese team for airsoft steel challenge training. I know that it has to involve presure sensitive plates linked to a start signal and a timer. Once I find the parts, I'm going to set up steel challenge in my back yard. That's got to be a clear road to improvement.

If any one has any info, please post here.

This *should* be an easy s/u with an off the shelf timer.  If you look on the side of most timers you will see a "headphone" jack.  This is generally for a "Stop Plate" input - essentially a short circuit between the poles of the jack.

Option A:

The Japanse may be using a design based on a common membrane switch, which consists of a flexible, conductive layer separated from another conductive layer by a an insulator which creates an air gap.  When the bullet hits the flexible layer, it pushes that layer across the air gap to contact the other conductive layer, closing the "switch."  

[Og moves closer to the cave wall and picks up a burnt stick...]

+++++++++++++++++   <- Flexible Cond. Layer

****                ****   <- Insulating layer (note hole)

###############   <- Rigid, conductive backing layer

Don't ask me who would make these, but I am 90% sure about how they would work.  Usually the flexible conductive layer is silver ink silkscreened onto thin ( like .005-.010" ) polycarbonate sheet.   You could probably make one of these at home with some careful work.  

Option B -

Like a pepper popper, one could construct a target that hinged and clicked a small microswitch when hit, then bounced back.  I just don't know how hard an airsoft shoots, so it's hard to know how feasible or reliable this is.  

[back to the cave wall Og goes...]

#    <-  Plate

#

#

#

#<< -  Microswitch

o  <- Hinge

The switch could be had at Radio Shack for a couple of bucks.  For everything else, you're on your own...    If you have the bullet momentum, this is the way to go.  Quick and heap cheap.

Mind you, my little kludge will not give you any split times.  You would need an input for every plate you shot for that.  Try calling PACT and see what they know.  They claim to be willing to look at custom applications on their web site.  

Please let me know if you absolutely can't find a source.  If enough people are interested, I'd consider having tooling built and making them.

I want to get an airsoft to practice with at home too...

Best Regards,

Eric

(Edited by EricW at 4:50 pm on Nov. 25, 2001)

OK, believe it or not, I actually read the instructions that came with my CED timer.  Gasp!!!  

(I'm sure that this closely applies to PACTs as well)

First, you need a normally CLOSED switch, not a normally open as I described.  Oops!  The good news is that the input jacks can accept a switch or a condenser microphone.  The switches or mics can be run in parallel to acquire split times.  Very easy.  Very cool.

I think some thin aluminum plates and some cheap clip on microphones from Radio Shack are all you need.  Anything that gives a clear, resounding thump should do the trick.

Eric

I have a catalog in front of me.  The gas powered pistols shoot from about 250-350 fps.  I am not sure which size BB they use to determine velocity.

I shot the Glock model at a gun show recently.  I was suprised by how real it felt.  It seemed fairly accurate and punched paper with ease.

This might be just the thing for those of us stuck in the city.

Guy's these Airsoft guns will penetrate cardboard at up to 15 - 20 feet. I'm refering to the GBB (Gas Blow Back).

I have a great time with my STI Edge 5.1.

BB's are 6mm.

My MP5 which is full-auto, can penetrate 3 layers of cardboard at 25 feet. It's been modified, and goes at about 340-360 FPS.

They are not stupid, just fun.

• 2 months later...

How do they hold up to a 40 mph crosswind and are the BBs hard to find in the snow?  OH WAIT!   I could shoot this thing INDOORS!   :)   I got a birthday comming up next month, so if I start dropping hints now I could have the entire basement covered in BBs in no time.  Bonemomma has three cats that form an "evil axis" of feline domination around here.  They shall learn to respect my borders.  Hehehe, egggcellentttt......