Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

comp design

ong45

Calling all you engineers and wannabe ( including actual ) gunsmiths, how would you design a comp to be as quiet as possible ?

Starting with a non hyrid barrel of course, side ports only ? try different port angles ?

Maybe the rifle experts have some insight into this.

How did i miss that ? :roflol:

Has anyone ever tried a small suppressor on an open gun ? Might be an interesting experiment.

Of course having to get an ATF form 5320.20 approved everytime you go out of state might suck.

Has anyone ever tried a small suppressor on an open gun ? Might be an interesting experiment.

Of course having to get an ATF form 5320.20 approved everytime you go out of state might suck.

not required for silencers ;)

http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f532020.pdf

Instructions

a. A written request and prior authorization from ATF to transport interstate or in foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun is required under the provisions of......

-rvb

finding a holster that is going to accept the extra 6" in length might be interesting as well...

Edited by maineshootah

finding a holster that is going to accept the extra 6" in length might be interesting as well...

dont most silencers make pistols single shot as well?

dont most silencers make pistols single shot as well?

No... but there are a bunch of suppressed pistols (mostly .22s that I'm aware of) that have a bolt lock built into them to stop the action from working, so you can make them single shot - most of the sound signature left, at that point, is the gun itself operating, so you can eliminate that by turning it into a single shot...

Well, at least, every suppressed pistol I've shot has run like the dickens... let's put it that way... :lol:

I haven't tried it - the only centerfire caliber cans I've used have been relatively long and heavy. They give you a lot more swing weight on the nose. If you could remove noise from the equation for both setups, you'd pick the normal comp gun every single time for our game. Now... if you could make a small little can, that maybe didn't work super efficiently (ie, maybe you still need earplugs?), but wasn't huge or heavy, you might have something interesting... But, at the rate we burn ammo, something appropriately light (Ti alloy, or something) might self destruct relatively quickly, leaving you with an expensive replacement and a long wait to get it, possibly.... I guess that would depend on the design :)

well james, since you use a limcat, no problem with the holster. here's what you need...

post-2786-1257460530_thumb.jpg

Now... if you could make a small little can, that maybe didn't work super efficiently (ie, maybe you still need earplugs?), but wasn't huge or heavy, you might have something interesting... But, at the rate we burn ammo, something appropriately light (Ti alloy, or something) might self destruct relatively quickly, leaving you with an expensive replacement and a long wait to get it, possibly.... I guess that would depend on the design :)

Probably be a good idea too that the can be easy to take apart and clean, imaigne the crud buildup in a semi closed system ?

We might be going off topic but a small can is sounding more and more interesting, oh yeah how does a can work for compensation ?

I noticed that with rifle compensators it's not really necessary to have upwards facing ports ( like the jp recoil eliminator) Of course with rifle cartridges putting out more gas it's probably not relevant.

Wonder how a pistol comp with just side facing ports might work ?

I noticed that with rifle compensators it's not really necessary to have upwards facing ports ( like the jp recoil eliminator) Of course with rifle cartridges putting out more gas it's probably not relevant.

An AR doesn't tend to have the muzzle rise that a pistol does because the buttstock is directly in line with the barrel. On a pistol, the barrel is way above the grip so it will rotate with the recoil. Many of the better rifle comps do have "bleeder" ports that jet gas upwards.

I made some comps with only side ports back in my experimenting days. They reduced the recoil some, but didn't do much for the flipping. Best to stick with ports on the top. They reduce the flip and recoil as well.

Bleeders can be added on to the end of the comp to bleed off some of the remaining gas which would reduce recoil some, but now extra weight is added to the barrel/comp which in turn slows the cycling down some.

quieter comps???? come on james, isnt it fun to step up to the line and see the RO's doin the rock/paper/scissors and loser has to RO your run??? hehehehe

mine is bad enuffthat in some of Butch's video footage you can seethe video fuzz slightly from the blast as he is filming the run...

quieter comps???? come on james, isnt it fun to step up to the line and see the RO's doin the rock/paper/scissors and loser has to RO your run??? hehehehe

Yeah, but they get back at you by designing stages where you have to shoot in tunnels. First time I lit my Tanfo off in a tunnel I wasn't doubleplugged and it felt like the local SWAT team had just rolled a flashbang into my living room while I was sitting on the couch watching Bevis and Butthead.

If I could have an effective Open gun that was silenced I would be all over it.

It will reduce recoil, but not "compensate" muzzle rise as there is not energy directed upward as with a traditional comp.

Are you sure? The ones I use do.

If you want to make it quiter for the shooter, you my try some ports out the end of the comp, direct the noise away from you. This would require a bit fatter comp, so you would most likely want to use TI.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

It will reduce recoil, but not "compensate" muzzle rise as there is not energy directed upward as with a traditional comp.

Are you sure? The ones I use do.

If you want to make it quiter for the shooter, you my try some ports out the end of the comp, direct the noise away from you. This would require a bit fatter comp, so you would most likely want to use TI.

Let's say it this way.

The more recoil you have in a pistol, the more it will flip. As you reduce recoil, muzzle rise will be reduced untill you take so much out the gun doesn't cycle. So yes, a rifle style comp will reduce recoil, but it's not directly trying to reduce muzzle flip. Top vents or ports reduce recoil, while directly pushing down on the muzzle to reduce flip.

James,

Not to drift your thread, but what application are you looking at?

Are you talking about a Major gun for a highly skilled shooter (like yourself)? Minor gun (Steel Challenge)? Or, maybe something that puts off a bit less intimidation...to keep from scaring women, children and small dogs?

I also have to wonder about powder selection. It's been a while now, but when we shot together in Pasa, I remember your gun comp blasting an extra fireball every 3-8 shots or so.