Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Optics

smokshwn

but at my zero range (100 yards at present) I can use the top tip of the triangle for a lttle better precision.

Yeah that is nice, but the problem with that is your 200 yard hold is underneath the triangle and it obscures your target.

Erik

With my TR21 this year I sighted it 4" above the point of the triangle at 100 yards. I use a 6 o'clock hold (bottom of the plate) to 250 yards, above center to top of plate at 300. At 400 it hits just under the bottom of the triangle. Seems to work pretty well. This is with 55s.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric Miller uses an Accupoint, he said for the 600 yard bonus target at RM3G he just dialed the elevation on the scope during the stage.

Ya but thats what I'm talking about, it's a compromise, no dope in.

like I said, The perfect 3gun optic would be a tr-24 accupoint (true 1x4) with the ACOG donut reticle !!

Trijicon, are you listening !!

Sooo.....you have proof this guy exists?

Yeah I shoot with him once in awhile, but I've never met his alleged brother Kurt.

The perfect 3gun optic would be a tr-24 accupoint (true 1x4) with the ACOG donut reticle !!

I agree, other than cannibalizing the ACOG sales I believe Trijicon has said that it is impossible for some reason. The little lines that extend from the edge of the scope to reticle in the Accupoint have to be there for some reason.

Eric Miller uses an Accupoint, he said for the 600 yard bonus target at RM3G he just dialed the elevation on the scope during the stage.

Ya but thats what I'm talking about, it's a compromise, no dope in.

like I said, The perfect 3gun optic would be a tr-24 accupoint (true 1x4) with the ACOG donut reticle !!

IMO the Meopta is as close to perfect as we get. If you were to add windage bars to the vertical bar under the dot and a 3/4 65MOA donut around the dot it would be the cats ass.

Sight it in for 300 yd zero. No dialing...no adjusting....just shoot it and learn the holds.

To use the RM3G example above here are the holds

100yds...top of dot on the bottom of the plate

200 yds....dot in the bottom half of the plate

300 yds... dot dead center on target or just slightly above

350 yds....bottom of dot on top of target

400 yds.... top of post on bottom of target (depending on the size of the target the dot may still be touching the top)

500 yds.... assuming a full size torso target the full vertical bar should be on the target

600 yds.... bottom of the vertical bar on the center of the target.

I agree, other than cannibalizing the ACOG sales I believe Trijicon has said that it is impossible for some reason. The little lines that extend from the edge of the scope to reticle in the Accupoint have to be there for some reason.

Huh ?? Must be where they hide the wires for the light bulb ?? :roflol::roflol:

I've had several discussions with guys from Trijicon and they have basically said it was not possible to put the donut of death reticle in the Accupoint scopes. They said the technology was not compatible with the tube scopes.

I think it is a great reticle myself. Never fails.

In all honesty.....I think Erik's reticle is spot on with what we need. We just need it illuminated. And I'd kinda like to see it go to 6x.

In all honesty.....I think Erik's reticle is spot on with what we need. We just need it illuminated. And I'd kinda like to see it go to 6x.

Well the reticle looks pretty good but for me the dot is too big and solid. I acually prefer the ACOG chevron but

suggested the donut because it would be very popular and is my second choice. The other thing is that other then

maybe for a Meopta,and maybe an Elcan, I have not seen any good daytime illumination out there but the fiber

lit Trijicon scopes are so bright they need to be toned down, and "no" batteries as well.

Also 6x I think is too strong, way too shakey for multiple targets without a bi-pod ?? IMO ...

Well the reticle looks pretty good but for me the dot is too big and solid. I acually prefer the ACOG chevron but

suggested the donut because it would be very popular and is my second choice. The other thing is that other then

maybe for a Meopta,and maybe an Elcan, I have not seen any good daytime illumination out there but the fiber

lit Trijicon scopes are so bright they need to be toned down, and "no" batteries as well.

Also 6x I think is too strong, way too shakey for multiple targets without a bi-pod ?? IMO ...

The times I have used 6x...it was worth its weight in gold. Not to shaky or unstable at all. FOV is a little more restricted. I still think 6x is a pretty viable option. You don't have to use it if you don't want to but its nice knowing its there.

Peter,

6x would be great given very high optical quality

= very high price !!

I dont know, I just dont see it. I did not see anywhere at RM3G where I was lacking power at 4

and I have gotten in trouble more then once with 4X being too much !! Of coarse I am stuck

at 4 ?? <_<

The other thing is that other then

maybe for a Meopta,and maybe an Elcan, I have not seen any good daytime illumination out there

Have you looked through a S&B Short Dot? The daytime illumination in them is awesome IMO.

The other thing is that other then

maybe for a Meopta,and maybe an Elcan, I have not seen any good daytime illumination out there

Have you looked through a S&B Short Dot? The daytime illumination in them is awesome IMO.

The Swarovski is also daylight visible its very bright.

reticle2.jpg

The Elcan is also excellent

elcanilluminated.jpg

Edited by Alaskapopo

Peter,

6x would be great given very high optical quality

= very high price !!

I dont know, I just dont see it. I did not see anywhere at RM3G where I was lacking power at 4

and I have gotten in trouble more then once with 4X being too much !! Of coarse I am stuck

at 4 ?? <_<

You probably did fine with 4x like you said but having a little more or a little less depending on the situation is always a good thing.

Pat

but for me the dot is too big and solid.

Peter, its really not as bad as it sounds. You'll have no problem on any long distance targets and with the way you zero the scope, the dot actually works well against the MGM targets.

Having the 3 MOA dot and the outer ring really helps on the up close, target to target transitions. It's a very fast scope to shoot on run-n-gun stages.

In fact, it was the scope I used to disprove the great Kurt Miller's claim that nothing is faster up close than iron sights!........although the margin of victory was quite slim. :roflol:

Erik

but at my zero range (100 yards at present) I can use the top tip of the triangle for a little better precision.

Yeah that is nice, but the problem with that is your 200 yard hold is underneath the triangle and it obscures your target.

With my TR21 this year I sighted it 4" above the point of the triangle at 100 yards. I use a 6 o'clock hold (bottom of the plate) to 250 yards, above center to top of plate at 300. At 400 it hits just under the bottom of the triangle. Seems to work pretty well. This is with 55s.

suggested the donut because it would be very popular and is my second choice...

Any thoughts on a diamond instead of a dot or a triangle? Seems like it would accomplish the best of both: the speed of a dot, but with better precision for both zero and hold-over...

You guys are helping me out here, Z6, Elcan, S&B, what do these all have in common ?? $$$

I was just throwing out an idea, the thread is called, What is the best optic for our game ?? That

would be mine ...

Erik,

I like a more precise aiming point for distance. I dont like to area aim, but thats just me.

I like the ACOG chevron for example, and if your familiar with that reticle you know what I'm talking about

(the 300yd mark). How I see it is if you have a 60-65moa circle around the whole reticle for the really

close stuff then why would you need such a large dot as well (EO tech). I'm sure it's faster up close but it's

just my preference .. With the finer reticle I have much more confidence in calling the lift and moving the gun..

Edited by P.Pres

P.E. Kelley

I think I saw a IOR PitBull at the RM3G,

I just looked the IOR PitBull on the SWFA site,,,

the IOR PitBull is interesting,, one model was 1.5-8. power

It is clear that the IOR people have been talking to 3 Gunners.

I wonder what Velocity the RET,, is calibrated to?

Jim M ammo

I would not bite to hard until you as least look at the IOR PitBull.

I am Mr. Cheap scope (as I don't use them) until this unit came along!

I now have two of them. And I know a long time US Optic user that

just picked up one.

Patrick

I forgot about that one, that is a really nice scope at a decent price.

Just what you need, nothing more !!

I would not bite to hard until you as least look at the IOR PitBull.

I am Mr. Cheap scope (as I don't use them) until this unit came along!

I now have two of them. And I know a long time US Optic user that

just picked up one.

Patrick

Pat,

Looked at them at RM3G....for that price there is no way I am doing without daytime visible illumination. I am still not buying that it can't be done without a $1500+ price tag....after all Meopta has done it.