Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Optics

smokshwn

Kurt, you are a funny man! Your description of Eric is ummmmm....well like trying describing a 12 ga with a 410 shell.

Eric, congrats on getting a major scope manuf. to turn an idea into reality.

The challenge will be getting the gun to obtain a dime sized group with a 69 with a speed of 2850 at 100. As an avid reloader I sometimes get frustrated with specs that do not leave a lot of room for flexibility such as these with the scope. Don't get me wrong....I like the reticle however every long gun I have likes something just a little bit differently. Good opportunity to spend some time at the range testing loads.

[composition edit]

Edited by Sterling White

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All Benny would give me was a toilet paper roll with some wire streched across it...but DAYAAHM it WORKS!!!

I really liked the little strip of toilet paper you could pull down to use as a polarizer/sunshade. That was high tech stuff right there. :roflol:

I'm an optic junky that has turned irons but I like Eriks US Optic retical, I did a layout of the drops and how they would look in the retical, I'm not 100% sure, this is just my interpretation of what they are trying to accomplish, the pics on CPWSA didn't do it justice IMO so here. The targets is a 10" round plate that gets smaller at the farther distances and then I put a larue as well at 5 & 6.

100.jpg

300.jpg

400.jpg

500.jpg

edited to add the 55moa ring. Keep in mind that there is lots of space from the retical to the edge of scope but the retical would be harder to see on these pics.

Edited by SHELLFISH17

I'm an optic junky that has turned irons but I like Eriks US Optic retical, I did a layout of the drops and how they would look in the retical, I'm not 100% sure, this is just my interpretation of what they are trying to accomplish, the pics on CPWSA didn't do it justice IMO so here. The targets is a 10" round plate that gets smaller at the farther distances and then I put a larue as well at 5 & 6.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

If optics companies put graphics like that on their web sites they would sell a ton more stuff. Good job!

Shellfish,

Great job on the images! Thank you.

One small correction. The 300 imagine where you have the dot touching the top of the plate is actually what your 350 yard holdover would be, or as I try describe it, a figure 8.

For the 300 yard hold over, take the 6 o'clock position of the black dot and put it in the center of the plate.

The stadia lines are calibrated for a 69gr. bullet at 2,850 fps. 75 and 77 grains bullets around 2,700 fps will also work.

Erik

IOR had a 1-8 variable but dropped the line because it wasn't a popular seller.

What's the consensus on the Burris XTR reticle?

post-13561-1257387091_thumb.jpg

The IOR 1-8.....I believe there may have been other issues there. I find it hard to believe it was not popular if in fact it was a true 1x. It was out so briefly....how did they gauge its success?

The XTR reticle......Too much unnecessary clutter. The reticle could be much simpler. 100 times better though now that it has daytime visible illumination.

I thought they had a 1-6 but dropped it for the 1.5-8.

Pat

I was thinking of getting into optic class, what is a good 3-gun scope? I have really studied this and I want to know what is the consensus as to which one is best?

That 6X trijicon you used at Rocky mountain seemed to work pretty good.... :ph34r:

Sadly, Alex's comments are,......................Alex's :rolleyes:

Alex, Erik is a really small, almost lilliputin sized guy why don't you go pick on someone your own size!!!! I'm trying to stick up for him cause despite his small stature he is a good guy trying to accomplish good, and besides I gave him his purse!!!!! I can pick on him if I want to.

Trapr

Trapr,

Their are not many people for Eric to pick on because of his size!

Take care.

Guys,

Wanted to make a slight correction to the holdoffs I posted above. In my attempt to give you guys a quick idea of how the reticle works I wasn't as specific as I should have been. Here are a few corrections.

These holdovers were designed for the MGM Flash targets which have about 4-6" of additional steel at the top of the circular plate (the nipple.) For the 350 yard hold, when I said to "stack the dot on top of the plate", I really meant that you need to stack the dot on top of the nipple. This is the correct position for the 350 yard hold.

For the 300 yard target, more precisely, you need to hold bottom of the dot at the upper 2/3 mark on the plate. If you hold dead center of a 10", you will still hit the Flasher, but you'll only be 1-2" from the bottom of the plate. Elevating the dot to an upper 2/3 hold will give you a slightly larger margin of error and get place your impact slightly higher on the plate.

I apologize for not being as precise in my descriptions as I should have.

Erik

AW crap Erik!!! I was going to go buy one,....but know your crawfishing on your information, what else isn't as you originally said?????????????? You probably don't even have anything to do with it do you!!!!! go on you can admit it now!!!!!

I'd like to see it at FB.

Trapr

I really like this reticle. One thing I like about my current optic (Trijicon TR21) though is the triangle. At close range, I just use the traingle as a dot, but at my zero range (100 yards at present) I can use the top tip of the triangle for a lttle better precision.

I really like this reticle. One thing I like about my current optic (Trijicon TR21) though is the triangle. At close range, I just use the traingle as a dot, but at my zero range (100 yards at present) I can use the top tip of the triangle for a lttle better precision.

That's why I added a triangle in the drawing I did off of Erik's reticle. ;)

The reticle ... is calibrated for 69gr. bullets at 2,850 fps and it will also work for 75 & 77gr loads around 2,700 fps

I was also wondering about the ballistic calibrations. I just chronoed my LaRue 18" Stealth Sniper a couple days ago... my Ultramax 68gr loads were averaging 2593.3, and my 75gr loads were averaging 2452.7. What kind of velocities are you guys getting with heavy 223 loads?

but at my zero range (100 yards at present) I can use the top tip of the triangle for a lttle better precision.

Yeah that is nice, but the problem with that is your 200 yard hold is underneath the triangle and it obscures your target.

Erik

but at my zero range (100 yards at present) I can use the top tip of the triangle for a little better precision.

Yeah that is nice, but the problem with that is your 200 yard hold is underneath the triangle and it obscures your target.

Erik

Hmmm... maybe a diamond then.

I chrono'd Hornady 75's from my LaRue and got 2650, the 77gr BH ammo loaded to AMU specs got 2800. and Remington Premier 69gr goes 2970. All from the LaRue rifle.

Trapr

18" barrel? What comp were you using? I'll have to try some of my Hornady 75s and see if I get similar numbers... or maybe my chrono is off (?)

The perfect scope for 3gun, if someone would just build it !!

Trijicon TR24 the new 1x4 one with an ACOG BDC donute reticle !!

The ultimate reticle with all the daytime illumination you could want..

It's the same company ?? It would not be that hard ??